Religion

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by EvilSkuzzi, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

More of an Aetheist myself. Religion was formed as a simple way to answer the unexplainable and address peoples fears. Once upon a time, many were scared of the lights in the sky, one man stepped forth and spoke "It is a god! A power more than we meager humans could know!" And so it was born. Pretty funny huh? There is no omnipotent force/being that controls the universe! How NAIVE! I do not put any stock into organized religion, they are a farce! Manipulated by greed and power through out the ages. The bible is a book of legend. As all legends begin with foundation in fact, but are twisted around to provide a moral or better ending, whatever benefitted the speaker most.

I like to look at the afterlife like Einstein. We simply add to the ever increasing state of entropy. The first law of physics: one can not create or destroy energy, only change it's state. As we are made of atoms, and atoms are energy, seems logical that our energy changes state, and is released in the universe to perform a different kind of "work".

I do take to heart the theory of Kharma/Chi. Kind of hard to explain in a post, but life and the universe are one big circle. The Big Bang, Big Crunch, History repeats itself, and what goes around comes around.

Entropy!

TheApprentice likes this.
  2. northlite

northlite Blazed and Confused

that's exactly what I said, an' Einstein

reckons E=xtc.

3. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

Sirsmokealot the big bang has been explained and so have singularities (well there is a damn good theory!)

4. Eleutheria

Eleutheria Developed Alternating Nodes

Everybody needs a crutch to get through life. The list is long. Alcohol, cigarettes, sports, food, religion, drug's....etc.

The choice is yours.

"Religion is the opiate of the masses" - Goodwill hunting

5. chopstick

chopstick Chilled out

I have my higher power, and the 12 steps.lol. But I still get high anyways....

6. Sylent Skull

Sylent Skull Cured Fat Sticky Bud

12 steps hehehe. I got another meeting tonight at 8 but **** it! im only there because my P.O. is a bitch and shes FORCING me to be there. I think its fucked up but thats the system. I cant do 12 steps because that would be admiting im powerless to something. I will never be powerless to alcohol or anything. The only crutch i need is food, water and oxygen. I dont even need weed, i only smoke it cuz i luv it soooooooo much!

7. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

Resurrection! Even Evil Can Be Resurrected!bump This Thread!

:passit:the forums to fuckin queit tonight,too many :lurk:ers and not enuff posters:eusa_snooty: so i just clicked on the last page in the window in this forum which was page 501 and i picked skuzzis thread from way way back in the day cos he was the only one still a relevant member,the rest have new usernames or migrated,anyways some ppl dont like old threads getting a :bump:

....but i think it gives the newer member a sense of the old GK if they aint went back to the start of the archives,this thread seems as good as any,i know i ran a poll similar to this not long back and the aetheists i think outvoted the believers by one vote and the rest voted other but to touch and skuzzis thread point,just cos we dont go to church and worship dont mean we aint good ppl and that there aint an afterlife or a higher plane of existence,its been proven when a person dies a huge burst of energy leaves the body,thats a scientific fact they cant fathom out so im hedging my bets,im slightly more inclined to believe in some grand plan and creator or architect of the MULTIVERSE....let the covo continue...i refuse to believe we live die and rot in the ground,i believe our soulls ascend...just like in stargate sg1!:wink: .WHat say the rst of ye:ponder:Peace:potleaf:

8. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Nice dig AP:thumbsup:

Objectivist here. Ayn Rand was on to something in my opinion. IMHO her ideal example of this is her Howard Roark character in "Fountain Head".

cheers,

9. Toker2

Toker2 Looking at a hot ass

Damn this threads been here for a while.

I never dicuss religion for the most part unless im on a board designed for that purpose.

On occasion if someone asks I might take the bait

10. Zirkon

Zirkon Germinated

I am a practicing pagan, following the wiccan path.

11. JuggaloKing420

JuggaloKing420 Just clownin around

Athiest...But if there was a higher power, I'm more inclined to think that it's an alien of some sort. I highly doubt there's just one.

12. daytrypper

daytrypper A Fat Sticky Bud

Although I follow the teachings of the Buddha I consider myself a "militant agnostic" meaning "I dont know, and neither the fuck do you, so quit knocking on my door with damn pamphlets":rofl:

I believe wholeheartedly that there can be great value in religious teachings, from all faiths, once you take the dogma out of the equation.

13. Ginsberg

Ginsberg Developed Alternating Nodes

Ditto.

Objectivism, holds that:

1. Reality exists as an objective absolute—facts are facts, independent of man’s feelings, wishes, hopes or fears.
    2. Reason (the faculty which identifies and integrates the material provided by man’s senses) is man’s only means of perceiving reality, his only source of knowledge, his only guide to action, and his basic means of survival.
    3. Man—every man—is an end in himself, not the means to the ends of others. He must exist for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself. The pursuit of his own rational self-interest and of his own happiness is the highest moral purpose of his life.
    4. The ideal political-economic system is laissez-faire capitalism. It is a system where men deal with one another, not as victims and executioners, nor as masters and slaves, but as traders, by free, voluntary exchange to mutual benefit. It is a system where no man may obtain any values from others by resorting to physical force, and no man may initiate the use of physical force against others. The government acts only as a policeman that protects man’s rights; it uses physical force only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use, such as criminals or foreign invaders. In a system of full capitalism, there should be (but, historically, has not yet been) a complete separation of state and economics, in the same way and for the same reasons as the separation of state and church.

michaeldank likes this.
  14. michaeldank

michaeldank Begun Flowering

Fun times

I have a funny joke to insert here. I do not practice any form of religion. I do from time to time cast some thoughts up into the aether as a way of covering my bases, but for the most part I have my family, friends and myself to fill my life. I try to be honest, if only with myself, and try to treat others like I would enjoy being treated. If there is a heaven, I would love to get in, but I sure won't be wasting my sunday's or saturday's....I guess anyday..in worship. That can't be what I creator would want. It sounds like people think that God is a kid and we are his pet. If we don't pay attention to and adore our master, he won't love us anymore.

Truth is, if there is a God, he probably loves us just as much as he loves the seedling growing in your closet, or the water running through the brook. He made it, would he not be equally proud of all of it? That being said, I mainly feel organised religion conveys a certain arrogence. You can't know a God's feelings or wishes. How can you know what he finds pleasing or displeasing. Live your life as you want to. If you are going to be a shit all your life..well chances are IF there is a heaven, you are not going there. Or maybe you are..because maybe God loves Shits just as much as Saints.

A man dies and goes to heaven. He is greeted by Saint Peter at the pearly gates. "Welcome to heaven. You have led a good life and this is your eternal reward. Let me show you around." They walked through vast gardens full of beautiful trees, flowers, endless green grass. Past structures that dissapeared from view they were so high. Libraries containing all the World's knowledge. They spoke of this and that until they approached a huge, beautiful cathedral with stained glass windows and choir music drifting out. Saint Peter placed a finger to his lips and said "Shhhhh!" The man was puzzled but remained silent. They tip toed past this massive building and continued their tour. He saw many marvelous things but twice more they saw a cathedral and Saint Peter once again urged him to tip toe past. When they past the third one the man turned to Saint Peter and said "So what gives. Why do we have to be so quite when we go by those building??" Saint Peter gave a huge grin and laughed. "Oh, its just the Christians, they think they're the only ones up here!"

So I put in Christian, but you can insert any faith of your choosing and its just as true and funny. It seems there are only a few religions that allow for just plain good people to attain heavenly salvation. All the others claim to be the soul path to heaven. One last problem I have with organized religion I have is showing all that naked emotion with a group of people. I've attended two catholic masses, three Solstices and a few Sunday Church gatherings. I hate to be crude, but it all seemed like mental masterbation. They could have gotten the same things with a therapy session. I am not a person who can bare his soul with a bunch of other people in a room. I tried Wicca for a bit, until I realized I was more into recycling and putting herbs on my food than sitting in front of idols and burning or combining the herbs I should have been eating! In closing, for the most part, people use religion as a crutch, it is used to support you in some way. Me, I prefer to stand on my own two legs...or on the couch in a cloud of smoke.:passit:

15. ResinRubber

A judeo-christian god seems more childish than one would expect of a highly evolved being. The entire concept of an experiment in spritual free choice seems illogical.

If we are in fact a creation or "children" of an evolved being why would it's love and salvation not be unconditional? I love my children unconditionally. No strings. If they misbehave they have millions of chances to correct or even continue down paths of which I do not approve. With true unconditional love I would never consider allowing them a moments pain in hellfire for going against my wishes if I could help it. It would be petty, self serving and an abrogation of MY duties as a guide, caretaker, and the responsibilties as a wiser more knowledgable being that allowed them to be brought into this world.

By "HIS" creation of a sentient being "god" implicitly has a responsibilty to that being. If he allows undue suffering he has then acted immorally. Of course that's just my religious philosophy 101 opinion.

cheers,

16. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

While I agree with you on the religion aspect....I take it a step further and include science with religion. Science too is a belief system that is based on 'theories'.

To quote Einstein....

All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. ~ Albert Einstein

Einstein wasn't an Atheist though....he very much believed in God. I just don't believe he believed in the concept of 'God' the way most religions teach it.

Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish. ~ Albert Einstein

God always takes the simplest way.
    ~ Albert Einstein

God does not play dice.
    ~ Albert Einstein

God may be subtle, but he isn't plain mean.
    ~ Albert Einstein

I am a deeply religious nonbeliever - this is a somewhat new kind of religion.
    ~ Albert Einstein

I want to know all Gods thoughts; all the rest are just details.
    ~ Albert Einstein

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation and is but a reflection of human frailty.
    ~ Albert Einstein

I do not believe in the God of theology who rewards good and punishes evil.
    ~ Albert Einstein

That's pretty much where I am. I believe in a 'force'....call it God for the lack of a better term....that binds us all and of which we are all part. A collective consciousness that encompasses all. We are made from the same material as the stars....everything is a part of God as I see it. Much like we have body parts that make up a whole....this to me is how we are 'made in the image of God'.

But who knows...I may wrong. :icon_scratch:

17. Toker2

But who knows...I may wrong.

Indeed, I would be careful to place much wisdom in any of Albert's thoughts outside of mathematics.

He was a horrible husband and father, He was a womanizer who could not keep his marriage vows

Like to have sex ''in the family'' so to speak and really dug young girls.

As i see him if it were not for math he would just be your average

dirt bag family breaking incestuous pedophile.

WaKO ALBERT

Lets examine shall we?

All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. ~ Albert Einstein

Thats about the stupidest fucking thing i have heard in a while

ask a muslim if his religion and hinduism are the same?

Or if their doctrines are even close to being similar?

Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish. ~ Albert Einstein

WTF? is this dude telling me he has talked with God?, Or is he just

repeating the words of the spokesman for HIS Deity?

Sounds like hes though plagerizing the bible to me

Albert's entitled to his opinion, But Its Just the opinion of a brilliant physicist who SUCKED in the real world

God always takes the simplest way.~ Albert Einstein

For an Omnipotent and all powerful God i would think Nothing is hard

Objection your honor, Conjecture !!!

God does not play dice.~ Albert Einstein

Well if you asked Martin he would say sometimes God does play dice

and wins, Quote from another physicist.

I would however agree, God does not play games of chance

God may be subtle, but he isn't plain mean.~ Albert Einstein

Subtle? In what way? Mean? define Mean?

I am a deeply religious nonbeliever - this is a somewhat new kind of religion.~ Albert Einstein

And there we have it, a new religion based on self

I want to know all Gods thoughts; all the rest are just details.~ Albert Einstein

What he wants and what he got are 2 different things.

One can not know Gods thoughts, If one could it would make one God

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation and is but a reflection of human frailty.~ Albert Einstein

DO WHAT? All the sudden that wonderful imagination can not imagine

something HE disagrees with.....good luck with DAT.

Then after he says God is like us, frail.

I do not believe in the God of theology who rewards good and punishes evil.~ Albert Einstein

I bet he DOES now.

18. ResinRubber

What do you think Job's answer would be to that piece of speculation?

19. Toker2

To Albert's words?

What happened to JOB was not Chance, Rather Satan's accusations against him.

I suspect Job would laugh.

Lets examine :

Job's First Test

6 One day the angels [a] came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan [b] also came with them. 7 The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?"

Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."

8 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."

9 "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. 10 "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land.

11 But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."

12 The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger."

Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD

So we see it was not chance But God using the upright man Job to rebuke

Satan, God KNEW JOB would never curse Him.

20. pookie

pookie Veggy Stage

the quote

"Religion is the opiate of the masses" that was Gertrude Stein. Personally I think many more people worship sports, fashion and celebrity than God. I have explored many religions in my lifetime, its kind of a hobby for me, especially mainstream cultism. IMO the question is does this belief system nourish my well being, or cultivate critique? Am I peaceful and loving, or irritated and selfish? Do I care about mankind or just the people who love me? :icon_scratch: