Colin Powell endorses Barack Obama for president

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Randy High, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy High

Randy High Organic Alumni

Ya know... I have always had respect for Colin Powell.

I could see he was a man to believe in. This confirms my opinion.

---------------------

WASHINGTON – Colin Powell, a Republican who was President Bush's first secretary of state, endorsed Democrat Barack Obama for president Sunday and criticized the tone of Republican John McCain's campaign.
    The former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said either candidate, both of them senators, is qualified to be commander in chief. But he said Obama is better suited to handle the nation's economic problems as well as help improve its standing in the world.
    "It isn't easy for me to disappoint Sen. McCain in the way that I have this morning, and I regret that," Powell, interviewed on NBC's "Meet the Press," said of his longtime friend, the Arizona senator.
    But, he added: "I think we need a transformational figure. I think we need a president who is a generational change and that's why I'm supporting Barack Obama, not out of any lack of respect or admiration for Sen. John McCain."
    Powell's endorsement has been much anticipated because he is a Republican with impressive foreign policy credentials, a subject on which Obama, a first-term senator from Illinois, is weak. Powell is a Republican centrist who is popular among moderate voters.
    At the same time, Powell is a black man and Obama would be the nation's first black president. Powell said he was cognizant of the racial aspect of his endorsement, but said that was not the dominant factor in his decision. If it was, he said, he would have made the endorsement months ago.
    Powell expressed disappointment in the negative tone of McCain's campaign, his choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as a running mate and McCain's and Palin's decision to focus in the closing weeks of the contest on Obama's ties to 1960s-era radical William Ayers. A co-founder of the Weather Underground, which claimed responsibility for nonfatal bombings during the Vietnam War-era, Ayers is now a college professor who lives in Obama's Chicago neighborhood. He and Obama also served together on civic boards in Chicago.
    "This Bill Ayers situation that's been going on for weeks became something of a central point of the campaign," Powell said. "But Mr. McCain says that he's a washed-out terrorist. Well, then, why do we keep talking about him?"
    Powell said McCain's choice of Palin raised questions about judgment.
    "I don't believe she's ready to be president of the United States," Powell said.
    McCain seemed dismissive of Powell's endorsement, saying he had support from four other former secretaries of state, all veterans of Republican administrations: Henry Kissinger, James A. Baker III, Lawrence Eagleburger and Alexander Haig.
    "Well, I've always admired and respected Gen. Powell. We're longtime friends. This doesn't come as a surprise," he said on "Fox News Sunday."
    Asked whether Powell's endorsement would undercut his campaign's assertion that Obama is not ready to lead, McCain said: "Well, again, we have a very, we have a respectful disagreement, and I think the American people will pay close attention to our message for the future and keeping America secure."
    Obama called Powell to thank him for the endorsement, Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs said.
    "I am beyond honored and deeply humbled to have the support of Gen. Colin Powell," Obama said in remarks prepared for a rally in Fayetteville, N.C. "Gen. Powell has defended this nation bravely, and he has embodied our highest ideals through his long and distinguished public service. ...And he knows, as we do, that this is a moment where we all need to come together as one nation — young and old, rich and poor, black and white, Republican and Democrat."
    Powell said he remains a Republican, even though he sees the party moving too far to the right. Powell supports abortion rights and affirmative action, and said McCain and Palin, both opponents of abortion, could put two more conservative justices on the Supreme Court.
    "I would have difficulty with two more conservative appointments to the Supreme Court, but that's what we'd be looking at in a McCain administration," Powell said.
    Powell, 71, gained popularity while serving as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the nation's top military commander, during the first Gulf war under President George H.W. Bush. After retiring from the military, speculation mounted that he would run for president in 1996 — perhaps becoming the nation's first black president — but Powell opted against it.
    As secretary of state, he helped make the case before the United Nations for the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, launched in March 2003.
    Powell said the nation's economic crisis provided a "final exam" of sorts for both Obama and McCain.
    "In the case of Mr. McCain I found that he was a little unsure as to how to deal with the economic problems that we were having," Powell said. "Almost everyday there was a different approach to the problem and that concerned me, sensing that he doesn't have a complete grasp of the economic problems that we had."
    In contrast, Powell said Obama "displayed a steadiness, an intellectual curiosity, a depth of knowledge and an approach to looking at problems like this. ..."
    "I think that he has a definitive way of doing business that would serve us well," Powell said.
    Powell said he does not plan to campaign for Obama.
    ___

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081019/ap_on_el_pr/powell

2. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

Colin Powell was the one who went before the world's political and economic elite in this mile-high Swiss resort back in 2003 to plead America's case for a possible war on Iraq.

Like Bush .....not a man I would believe in.
    ;)

3. brand

brand Begun Flowering

Mermaid is correct. But on Powell's behalf, I believe he seen what the Bush administration had in mind so he resigned. That got my respect back, at least some of it.

4. "The Master"

"The Master" Time Lord

Wow. What a dealbreaker. :tvlaugh:

5. nikoatnight

nikoatnight Full Flowering

Obama, McCain are all playing from the same deck just different cards! Geeeeeeeeee which one of the lesser evils it's allllll BS as far as I'm concerned! Here in Canada over 50% of the population didn't even bother to vote!!!! Everyone know their just gonna do what they want , they just want u to think ya play a role and peeps have woke up to this! Like a wise man said it doesn't matter the votes , it's who counts them.

6. "The Master"

"The Master" Time Lord

Comrade Joseph Stalin said that. He was a REAL winner. :)

7. greenmansgecko

greenmansgecko Captain cannabis

well if you thought obama was anything other than just another crooked politician.........well now you know you are wrong.

8. "The Master"

"The Master" Time Lord

Vote Nader. :icon_bounce:

9. nikoatnight

He was a sickie/wise for sure :)

10. ClayStreet

ClayStreet Gypsy

I read somewhere that Colin Powell rejected an opportunity back years ago that many countries surrounding IRAQ would all step in and bring military force to the region, which in turn would have allowed much of US forces to come home. Reason being is that Powell and of course many other BUSH crooks wanted America's foot planted firmly there with America's control on the war. Don't really need to speculate as to why they'd want that.

on a side note: Doesn't it seem odd that gas prices are going down now that it's the end of the Bush administration, also considering that gas prices started going up slowly after he took office?

I am mesmerized by Barack Obama's speeches and often feel that warm fuzzy that he would do great things for the nation.. but keeping in mind that all politicians are crooked I can then only feel he's slightly better than McCain (which I don't want to see win at all).

I also think it's crappy that people are still voting for dumb reasons like Abortion and all that. The economic future at stake and all that they can care about is making the population larger with various mistake pregnancies.

makes me sick too hearing people call Obama the antichrist and terrorist. Fake christian they say.. a muslim posing as a christian.. It's obvious that people don't take the time to learn things other than ignorance and hate. Muslim is not an evil religion. Just as any other.. It's the people who believe it or use it who can make it for better or for worse for others. So they'll vote in the white christian old guy just because they think the black muslim president is going to ruin the country.. geesh. people=dumb

ok that's my 2 cents.. I'm farklempt. talk amongst yourselves.. I've given topics.

TheApprentice and Mermaid like this.
  11. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

It's good to see that Canadians are waking up.....now if only the American public would. :rolleyes:

12. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

Word!!

It is like being able to only order bullshit with a salad or bullshit with a cup of soup. :scream:

13. nikoatnight

I agree with u Clay!!!!!

14. Randy High

I understand.. It is called falling on one's sword.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/133350.html

so in turn the solder's honor is saved in his disgrace.

15. Randy High

I like your avi

16. Randy High

America is over sold on all levels and it's margin call time no doubt..

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/margincall.asp

17. Randy High

I am the first to say that Obama has exceeded my understanding of Obama.

He is Super Nova Guy..

From my point of view at least..

However Powell did , finally, buck Bush... Notice the capital B as a proper noun not "bush" as in pubic hair, ya dummies..

LOL

Randy

18. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

Know the meaning ;)

Guess your forgiving and hey not knocking ya my frd.

Personally I feel he is just like the rest in DC and when Bush lost his popularity with those he supported him....well he bailed out to save his reputation just like many who were in Bush's corner.

I respect anyone's opinion and if you like Obama, then I hope he does not let ya down. Sorry Randy but I just think they are all from the same fabric and no matter if one supports OB or McCain, they will get the same except packaged in differ wrapping. I can not vote for either and the whole election is a scam for they will put in office who they wish, not who the American's want. Also feel McCain and Obama agree on more then we all know and meets the eye.

This is politics......:scream:

19. nikoatnight

Yup their allllll playing from the same deck just different cards! We feel the same way here in Canada that way 50% of us didn't even vote this year! Says alot doesn't it. I have a feeling somethings gonna happen to screw up your voting, welllllll see.

20. nikoatnight

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.