GH 3 part - Useless' formula

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by Useless, May 30, 2009.

1. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I use R/O water so I have a starting value of 0 ppm on my water. but my readings were always close to the desired ppm readings listed. I would assume you account for any dissolved solids in your water by subtracting it from the total of the reading you get after adding your nutes. However I only took readings during my very first run using the formula. I realized that it worked and I didn't need to be caught up with the ppm readings. AS long as you follow the formula it works.

I topped my res every couple of days but I never needed to adjust the pH.

2. JuggaloKing420

JuggaloKing420 Just clownin around

Just use hardwater Micro and shoot for the same ppms.

3. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

Shoot for the target range PPM's as listed. Use the hard water micro since you're right on he cusp of having what is considered hard water.

4. Adower

Adower Germinating

If I am running a 10/11 week strain but dont want to flush how should I run the nutes? Should I do week 5 nutrients until the 8th week of flower then jump to the week 6/7 ratios for my week 9-10?

5. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Almost right. You would run week 4 nutes for the extra weeks then pick up with week 5-7. You should always flush for at least 7 days but 14 days is even better if the plant isn't too deficient by that time. :passsit:

6. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

Ras is right. You should use the week 4 feed for the additional 2-3 weeks, then go to week 5,6,7 etc.

I always flush for 14 days minimum.

7. Adower

Adower Germinating

I am a firm believer that flushing really does not do anything. Letting the bud's cure properly is all you need. But, thats another argument for another thread.

Thanks guys.

8. blah blah boy

blah blah boy Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

I started a new Undercurrent set up that holds roughly 100-110 gal total. I have been using the Useless formula for a while now so I'm not a complete noob.

I have been trying to dial it in.

I currently run a 55gal formula recipe due to my PH dropping into the 4.0's. PPM's at 800's.

My question is; How low is too low? Should I adjust formula into the 40gal range or is there something else going on here that I can't see?

Thanks

9. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Under Currents are pretty hard to get dialed in, a buddy ran the factory made 6 pot system and had a ton of trouble with it, he was using TAP water with regular micro....then he got slime

You running RO or tap? Chiller?

Ive been reading for quite some time that the acceptable range for hydro is much different than we've all thought.....4.6 to 6.5 ph is within range

I can somewhat attest to it, when I wasn't paying attention a few times to my VEG ph, it ended up being into the 6.3 to 6.6 range and my plants grew at an insane rate and were greener than ever, take that for what its worth

10. blah blah boy

No chiller on this system...yet.

180 ppm's out of my tap with 6.5ph.

Other systems that I have; RDWC and a hybrid of MPB and RDWC are doing fine with the formula.

I feel once she is dialed in it will be great.

11. CCrete

Them systems grow some serious yields for sure, toss up a pic bbb!

12. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Are you trying to raise PH by adjusting ppms feeding lighter/heavier? In my old RDWC system where my tap water PH was 8-9 I found that the heavier I fed, the harder it was to get the PH to come down. In other words a hotter mix was higher PH than the lighter mix all else being equal (which it never really is). When I switched to RO water it was the same - a hotter feed had higher PH.

Anyway, I'm like rocky - I have to count OUT LOUD when mixing my nutes….your confusing me man :LOL:

13. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

:rofl6:
    You come in the room and try to talk while I'm making nutes, it's a fight, just because I forgot where I was and have to scrap everything

14. blah blah boy

First run with the new system. All though you can't really see the system that Blue Hell out back yielded 16.5 dried bud.

[​IMG]

I am on the second run right now and doing a little better.

I'll snap a pic tomorrow.

[​IMG]

15. blah blah boy

Wow! Thought it was the other way around??

I did my change over today but waited to add nutes till I heard something. I'll go ahead and try a little more and progressively add more through out the grow and future grows if it works.

Thanks

16. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Be careful man. My starting PH outta the tap was wicked high - like 8-9. Then my RO water was wicked low - like 3-4. I had routine weekly fluctuations that I had to control mid stream, and I recall that the hotter my mix, the higher the PH. But that's about it, and I don't know if that's a rule of thumb or not. In some systems it might be different.

Skunky? Whats the scoop? You are way smarter than me and I remember being flummoxed trying to keep PH in swing. There are so many things that effect PH it's really hard to translate one guy's experience into a universal rule. I can say safely that you should test all your basic assumptions and trouble shoot issues like you would a car problem.

:read2:

17. CCrete

nice setup BBB......how many plants? to how many watts? to final yield?

18. blah blah boy

4 plants 4-600's (soon to be 5). Will be 50w/sq/ft. Haven't had a complete harvest yet due to some root rot on the first run (2 plants). Still trying to dial in.

After I get my other room done (don't know if I want to do another UC) they will be run off a DIY flip flop box.

Thinking MPB totes now.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/in-memory-of-dd-how-to-build-an-mpb-revisited.55728/

My hybrid room (what I call it) consistently pumps out 3# for 6 plants in 5 gal buckets. (think I got pictures in DIY threads)

19. CCrete

when I ran my 4pot systems in RDWC, I loved them and the yields....but got killed by the slime..never could figure it out....so I went to tables.....BUT from recent readings ..I think I figured out why I had the slime in the first place and nhow to fix it if I wanna go back, I still have all the pieces minus the buckets but theyre cheap so..we'll see

thanks for that link, that's 1 amazing growing system that's for sure, wish I had the intelligence or patience to put one together:BangHead:

20. blah blah boy

You haven't seen or heard about the MPB?

I got a little slime a while back in my RDWC 18bucket system (veg) and it was water temps and light getting in.

I got to PM you about your exhaust system. Don't want to plug this thread up with personal grows. :thumbsup: