fuggin pitbulls

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by daytrypper, Jul 13, 2009.

1. daytrypper

daytrypper A Fat Sticky Bud

I can just see Cannagirl flippin out over the thread title right now:rofl:

But seriously, I'm about to call that dog whisperer from animal planet right now. Of the three dogs that own me, the newest addition, a beautiful brindle pit, is seriously pressing his luck. I leave the house for twenty minutes and he eats the fucking sweeper not just chewed on it a bit destroyed it. Not to mention the daily battle royal with the bird, and then there WERE my Doc Martins, That come to think of it were inside the sweeper. Im pretty understanding about puppy exuberance but FFS this dude is outa control.

2. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Ahh puppies. Now I personally have never owned an overly destructive

dog but the first thing anyone will/should tell you is exercise exercise exercise ;)

And toys. LOTS AND LOTS of toys.

Best of luck with the little monster.

3. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

And I am on the fence about crate training but some dogs, man they just leave ya no choice.

As long as it's not for excessive long periods of time, a crate can be a great thing.

Also enrichment. Little things help. Like a kong full of peanut butter or hidden treats throughtout the house.

Always remember, a bored dog WILL find something to do. And you picked the strongest of the tenacious terriers.

4. skunkrnaught

skunkrnaught Flying magic hemp carpet

Sounds like he is mad you are leaving him behind, or he is just bored. Nothing wrong with cage training, both my pits are cage trained, it is their space and no one messes with it and they like that. See my pit below

http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31773

gizmo_barks likes this.
  5. Ginsberg

Ginsberg Developed Alternating Nodes

He'll outgrow it in time. It can be hard to tell if the puppy is a playful chewer or stressed by your absence. cannagirl is spot on- exercise. Kenneling is not bad and your pup may be happier for it.

I've always kenneled all my dogs but it has to be a happy place for them. I start the kenneling when pup knows her sit/stay commands, usually about a week. Then I start all feeding inside the kennel. I'll do several sit/stays a day inside the kennel increasing the time over a week till pup will stay (door open) for 2 minutes. Reward w/ treats. Then place the pup in the kennel, door closed with a marrow bone for 15 minutes working up to an hour. Always take the bone when she leaves the kennel. After a couple weeks your pup will be content while you're gone. Good luck.

6. gizmo_barks

gizmo_barks Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Gizmo loves his stuffed animals. He started chewing on things until sally started giving him stuffed animals and other chew toys.

peace

7. gizmo_barks

gizmo_barks Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

8. daytrypper

I cant imagine him being bored, I'm home with him all day, we go on walks, play with the rope ect. Plus he has the two other dogs to play with and the kids. Hes just one of the most challenging animals Ive dealt with.

9. Mr Douglas

Mr Douglas still stoned again still

Sounds like he may have separation anxiety issues.......kind of a hard one to break.....Canna's right, lots of toys and walks, but if you leave the house, I would suggest the kennel. It could mean the difference between having a couch, and having a pile of cloth-tatterered lumber with stuffing throughout.

My dog Lulu doesn't have separation issues, but come bedtime, she will stand by her kennel as if to say- "Are you going to let me in or what?"

She is so used to it that one time we tried taking it down and put a dog bed in it's place. Now that freaked her out......she paced all night until I put it back together, and she promptly went in and fell asleep.

Remember, dogs are creatures of habit.

Good luck with your baby! :redbong:

10. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

We crate trained both our dogs until they learned to sleep through the night with us. Our big one had problems chewing shit up while we were gone, so it was sorta necessity.

But exercise is the key with the big dogs, it is about the only way to get them to calm down, crate or not.

11. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

Crate Him!

12. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Ohhh yes Mr. D is so right. Separation Anxiety. I would try to look into episodes of the dog whisperer and it's me or the dog that deal specificly with that isssue.

As far as exercise....i'd say this has got to be my favorite tool, as well as Ginny's! She LOVES it. She asks to use it every day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

:thumbsup: Great way to do it Canna!

14. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Oh yeah :) Of course we go out on walks and runs all the time, I am also graced with a nice big field behind my apartment. But man that treadmill, it's a huge help living in a one bedroom with 2 dogs including 1 high energy young pit! I think she needed the leash, maybe 3 times? After that she just gets on it and waits for me to turn it on :thumbsup:

15. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

My springer has severe anxiety issues- he was a puppy mill rescue, kept in a crate and unsocialized the first 7 months of his life. He is VERY destructive. The things i have found that help are lots of toys (dog toys, NOT shoes and socks!!!), lots of walks and runs, and lots of love! So basically everything everyone else has mentioned! Hopefully your cutie pie will grow out of it, but mine is almost 2 and still is a pretty "bad boy"!!! He's lucky he's so damn cute!

[​IMG]

Who couldn't love that face?!?!?

Good Luck to you!

-LM

16. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

From personel knowledge, if you've never owned a pitbull, you have no idea how goofy, insane and loving they are, they have tons of mood swings, temprement is constant, I've never seen aggressive moments from my pit but she does spaz out sometimes on toys and a bird or rabbit or a cat......she just runs em down.........jumps on em and runs away all super happy and silly.....I love em.....but DAMN they're goofy dogs!

17. daytrypper

We have another pit as well, hes Nine, But I really dont remember him being so rambunctious when he was a puppy.

Im sure he will settle down a bit after he gets fixed here in a couple weeks..:icon_confused:

18. MK-Ultra

MK-Ultra Excommunicated

I vote Golden Retriever!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I have three pits my self and they are all just like this. Even my 5 year old still shits and tears things up if i dont pay him enough attention. But i would never give them up cause they are my kids. My new pup is a holy terror just runnin around gettin into anything and everything. They are like the poster children for A.D.H.D. But thats what makes me love them so much. Hang in there they will come around for the most part. :passit: Hey u reall want them to calm down start making homemade dog food and add a little bit of cannibutter to it hahahaha that will calm them down when u leave!

20. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

Stuffed toys last about 10 minutes arou8nd here...but Jelly can stay happy for an hour or more with one of those bug rawhide chews.

Shunkrnaught...that's a beauty! Whehn the pic first started to load, I thought it was a BEAR!

Since you ask, I just might happen to have a pic of my Jelly. He's not a full Pit, but close enough for me. 65 pounds of bone crushing beauty! Sweet as can be, loves his mommy and gets along with people and my other dogs...except the one other male, Danny Boy. I have to keep them separated when Jelly is feeling too feisty. He appeared at my gate a year ago, about half grown, starving and full of ticks and fleas....I just cant believe somebody threw him away!

Anyway, Im so glad he found me--he's my best dog, ever.Check out them blue eyes!

[​IMG]