Alternating Nodes

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Toker2, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Toker2

Toker2 Looking at a hot ass

Some Sog and scrogs say 1 month veg, but what if there not alternating at one month?

2. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

Hey Toker!

I know mine went way longer then 1 month into veg before they showed alternating nodes... Try to be patient!

Peace, and Good Luck!

-LM

3. spinkler

spinkler Game On!

I'm certainly no expert, but the one grow I've had so far took almost 2-3 months to develop alternating nodes.

Please bear in mind that my lighting was far less than adequate for the vegetation stage, but I thought I'd share in case it was of any help.

Be patient, and best of luck! :bongin:

4. Toker2

Lights not an issue, but space is and all i want is colas, see i have 17

sex unknown and want to reduce that number, anyway i have read that

some sogs scrogs achive a havest every 3 months, so that means a 1 month veg, or is that only for hydro?

See i dont want my plants to get over 24 inch right now, I want to sex em

Sog em and clone them fast. If i wait until they are 8 inches, then by the time they finish streching they should be 22 -24 inches.

So in 2 weeks or so I could know the sex, 1-2 weeks later start harvesting clones.

I have had plants flower without alternation but i want some expert advice as this is the good shit grow , First for me

5. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

Keep ur lights as close as possible and trim to the desired hight if necessary. One month veg talk is proly for grows that are starting with clones that are already sexually mature. You really want to wait for alt nodes to start you flower light schedule.

Happy Growin' :pimp:

Ps don't veg for a month in a sog grow...depends on the strain traits. The point of growing sog is to have a high number of small plants.

Toker2 likes this.
  6. Toker2

Good point:passit:

Oh hell ya that makes total sense, because the clones are already

alternating, I reped ya for reminding me of that

thanks

7. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

The only way to keep height down is LST and topping.

8. Ginsberg

Ginsberg Developed Alternating Nodes

I have a 250W and about 38" of vert grow space. I always veg 1 month before flower. I start LST at about 2-3 weeks. Usually get about 5 or 6 nice colas and 3 or 4 lesser ones. I never had alternating nodes.

9. Toker2

Ya i know, Im going to lst but I will waste work on males, was going to aviod toping as i have read it will prolong the veg?

10. Green Goblin

Are you sure about this?

In order to produce sex organs/flowers/buds the plant has to be sexually mature. Alternating nodes is the physical sign of Sexual maturity.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying...

As for 48 day clones...kill them. If they take more than 2-3 weeks imo then they aren't healthy. If they aren't healthy then they will be prone to disease. If they're prone to disease then they could possibly harm you good happy plants.

Not worth the risk imo

Happy growin' :pimp:

11. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

Plants can be mature without alterning nodes. They will flower before they alternate. If you stick an immature plant in 12/12 it will flower as soon as its mature. This is slightly before it starts to alternate its nodes.

As for topping prolonging veg, im not sure what you mean Toker. Veg is as long as you make it. Once you go 12/12 veg is over.

12. Toker2

I have had non alternating plants I shocked into flower.

Its certainly can be done from my experience.

13. Toker2

Ya that sounds right, the plants i had that were not alternating we

6 weeks into veg. I was under the impression topping slows the plant down a little but i understand what your saying.

14. Ginsberg

Ginsberg Developed Alternating Nodes

Green goblin-- On my fourth grow from seed. I get to 5 or 6 nodes in 4 weeks and I'm sure they're not alternating. Once I get a mom I'm happy with I'll try a shorter and possibly zero veg time but with more plants. Do some quantity/time comparisions. Still regard myself as a novice but that's my plan.

15. Green Goblin

There is a difference between "never had alt nodes" and "I start my 12/12 schedule before I see alt nodes"

As I said I think I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Yes you can start 12's before the plant is mature. I never once said you couldn't. I pointed out your comment about never having alt nodes which taken as it was typed cannot be true. If you had said "I always start 12' before the plants show alt nodes I would not have said what I did. How you typed that implied that "you never have alt nodes" which is exactly what you said which I must say again can't be true. Did I mention that any sexually mature cannabis will alt nodes? I think I did. So therefore if you have grown a plant with buds on it then you've had alternating nodes, which contradicts what you typed. I think with the 5 times I've explained my thought that I probably have made myself perfectly clear. But just in case I didn't I will say again that perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying...even thoug I said that twice before too.

No fuss, happy growin' :pimp:

16. Mr. Gardener

Mr. Gardener Full Flowering

So hypothetically, if I were to take a plant that has been vegging for less than a month, and all of it's nodes were parallel, and I put it under 12/12 and it began to flower, then flowers would begin to appear at the parallel nodes first? Then any subsequent growth would be in the form of alternating nodes?

Also, how long does a plant "normally" take in veg to start showing alternating nodes? I'm sure it varies with light intensity etc. but just a ball park figure.

17. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

im really lost and mabe really high but this doesnt make any sence!:icon_confused: but ima keep my eye on this one to find out how this turns out.:smokin: can u explain what alternating nodes are cause i thought it was when a plant has grown and produce its 2nd, 3rd, 4th ect set of leaves. And a sog is abriviated for Sea OF Green which is a perpetual harvest of ur choice in a cycle. U must be refering to the S.C.O.G Screen Of Green which you train ur plant to grow under a wire mesh and controls the hight of the overall plant. This thread is really fuckin wit me, but then again i am the boaboi!:smokin: :passit:

18. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

:roulette:

19. Green Goblin

Jeepers...

Sea of green = a bunch of little plants generally clones flowered straight from the cloning chamber.

Screen of green = scrog = plants trained into a wire mesh of sorts so that there's a bunch of small buds at the many growing tips protruding thru the screen.

Alternating nodes = branches coming off the stem are not in pairs...ie one on one side then the next one up is on the other side and soon and so forth.

FAQ = frequently asked questions, all of these are those. For pictures and better descriptions look in the forum called FAQ...

The time it takes for a plant to become sexually mature is different for every seed. Which is one of the many reasons sog grows are usually clones. The clones are already mature, so the canopy remains even. If done from seed the canopy would be all different hights making for poor light distribution.

:pimp:

Gratitude likes this.
  20. Mr. Gardener

Mr. Gardener Full Flowering

I'm not talking about clones, I'm talking about growing a plant from seed. About how long does it take for a plant, from time of sprout, to get alternating nodes? About how long, not exactly how long. About a month perhaps?

Maybe some growers can weigh in here and let us know the general time frame they have had with their plants showing alternating nodes. Let us know what kind of light the plants are receiving as well if you don't mind.

I know that all seeds and strains are different. That's why it would be nice to get some replies from people that are willing to provide an answer based upon their own experiences.