tattoo, or not???

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by greenthumbwhitethumb, Oct 7, 2011.

?

tattoo, or not???

1. Nah, don't risk it. Your job is on the line.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fuck em. It's your body.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

Ok, so I want to get a tattoo on my forearm, a phrase. It's something that primarily means something really important to me, basically says make your own path in life, but the second part of the phrase definitely has underlying meanings to it, specifically referring to pot. Here's the problem - right now I work for the government, where pot is an obvious NO NO.

Here's what I want to get on my arm -

"Blaze a new trail"

"Come and blaze one with me"

Soooo...... definitely can be seen as a pot smoker, but.... I work with a bunch of old white guys, engineers and the like. Most of them won't get it, and they'll ask what it means, and I'll say it means 'let's go have an adventure together' but I'm sure there will be a few who say 'yeah, what's that all about?'

I am nicknamed the office hippie, but that's because of my attitude and my crazy hair and the way I dress sometimes.

Do you think it's worth getting that second sentence?

An option would be to do the first phrase, and do the second one a couple of years from now, after I bid this place fucking adieu... But I really want both now, just means more, I guess.

Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm a wee drunk, and I tend to make snap decisions like this....

Let me know, guys!!!!

What should I do????

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

2. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Hey GTWT

Long time no see.... I LOVE ink but would have to say if it could cost you your job its best to hold off. Why risk it in this economy. How about putting it in a les conspicious place?

3. greenthumbwhitethumb

Hi BB! Yeah, I've been absent lately. Been working my metaphorical dick off lately, 60+ hours a week. UGH. Busy buying a new house on top of that, and getting all my shit out here. I didn't forget about everyone though... :)

Really, they can't fire someone over a tattoo, but they sure could drug test me. I have 2 bottles of quickfix just for that kind of situation, but I'd prefer not to use it.

I really like the idea of it being on my forearm, but it would totally be seen by everyone. Especially being on a chick, people will ask about it. But again, I'm the kind of person to say 'fuck you' if someone makes a snide comment.

I dunno, my brain and smarts tells me to wait on the second part of it until I get away from the government jobs, but my inner hippie (who's quite loud and obnoxious...) is really screaming out in protest, as a hippie should, lol! Legally, they can't fire me, that whole 'just cause' thing. But I'm putting myself in a higher profile by rebelling. This might be one time I have to muzzle the hippie chick until a future date....

GTWT

ps what's with all the new features? Is the blue dot indicating online status? If so, that's pretty cool. I like the YouTube option now too.... Thanks mods, and adminstrators!!!

4. Bigbud214

Do you have a contract with them? or is it an at will position? I am not sure about NY but in CT its an at will state so they can fire you for any or no reason.

5. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

Your a pretty girl you don't need any ink. I have ink & both of my daughters do. Why not get it where they won't see it if you really want it? Plus they are like potato chips you can't just get one LOL-Bud

6. Bigbud214

I wanna kno how pretty she is? lol

7. greenthumbwhitethumb

I already have tattoos, it's why I want more!!! This would not be the first noticeable one either.... I have one on the back of my neck you can see in many shirts, and one on my lower leg, that you can see in the summer.

Yeah, my forearm is definitely a step in the 'real' tattoo direction, not a typical 'chick' tattoo, if you will....

And us chicks can be hot with tattoos, Bud!!!!

GTWT

8. greenthumbwhitethumb

Oh, and it's not necessarily a contract. I'm pretty secure in my job in that I do it very well, and they'd be hard pressed to find someone that could fill my shoes. There's not a whole lot of folks out there who do specifically what I do, and most of them wouldn't want to work at the fucked up project I work at. That's not really an issue....

If I were to get canned, it would be because I popped a test. I would hopefully not, with my QuickFix, but I'm just putting myself at a higher risk of getting a 'random' with a tattoo like that. Just a seed in someone's mind, I suppose.

GTWT

9. ken420sara

ken420sara Germinating

Govt. Ink

When i was in the Army, tats were slightly frowned on. So if you got them, you got 'em where your uniform covered them. When you wasn't in uniform...you could flaunt them. When I got out, I got them anywhere I wanted. Now both arms are covered and 1 hand.

Maybe... wait until you're boss isn't Uncle Sam.

Not to mention... people discriminate against us in society !

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2011
  10. I've gone on quite the tattoo kick myself lately. Got my first one when I turned 18 to be rebellious and then didn't get my 2nd till this summer. I've got 3 in the past few months alone, and will be getting my 4th in a few weeks.

The forearm thing I'm kinda iffy on. I'm working on a half sleeve right now, wanted to go full but I want something that won't be out in the open if I'm ever in a situation where that would be frowned upon.

If ya need a place to go I've got the place for ya! The artist I've had do mine is cool as shit, and I wouldn't hesitate to send anyone to him.

11. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

I was going to say wait on the second phrase, but then it would'nt mean as much.

That being said... you're too cute to have tats on your forearm, unless it's a whole sleeve. The underside of the forearm doesn't look that bad, but women with a single tat on the top of their forearm look trashy, IMO.

It's your skin. Do what makes YOU happy :thumbs-up:

If you're going to do it and youhave/can use Quickfix, then fuck 'em. Get 'em both and if/when you're asked what it means, tell 'em to figure it out.

12. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

I have 4 but I didn't get the first of them til I was 50.

BBT

13. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

Yah, I have John Lennon on my ankle and it has never been a problem, and it does get seen.

If you are already smoking, and not going around with a sign in hand picturing a pot plant with the phrase "I SMOKE POT ALL THE TIME! I AM A POT HEAD! THAT MEANS I SMOKE MARIJUANA FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT POT MEANS!," then you are pretty much OK with your back up plan in place.

If you already have a visible tat, I doubt any others will even get noticed except for those who like the art, and they wouldn't care.

I am getting a martini glass on my left wrist and a bar shaker on the other very soon. Simple line drawings and small. I am still planning my pot tattoo tribute. Might do my old American flag pot leaf flag, but not sure yet. :smoke2:

14. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

I have to admit I always thought tatoos were trashy especially on women and they were always permanent until they started to have the ability to remove them if wanted.

But I must also say I have seen women with very selective tatoos that were really quite sexy to say the least which really changed my opinion.

Time is short you are young. Why not fly the first phrase and get the second later if you still have a mind to do it.

Good luck

t6

15. blackprince11

blackprince11 Prince of the Hindu Kush

I voted before I read the original post. I voted fuck it it's your body but upon reading the post and seeing that you work around a bunch of older (probably conservative) males I would wait for the second phrase until you can get out of there. You're free to do whatever you want to your body but if you live in an at-will employment state they also have the right to terminate you for no reason at all. Sometimes freedom has a price. Exercising your rights sometimes comes into opposition with the opinions of the more powerful and they have ways of making you pay for exercising those rights if they see fit. Is it right? No. Can they do it and get away with it anyway? Yes.

The bottoms of my forearms have tattoos that run from my wrists almost to my biceps. A neo-tribal dragon with an ancient Japanese symbol for chaos on the right forearm and a Tiger with ancient Japanese symbol for peace on the left forearm. I love my tatts but I suffer discrimination all the time because of them. But that's the price I pay for exercising my rights. So choose wisely grasshopper!:eusa_angel:

16. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

ok I'll admit, I'm a dickwad and didn't actually read where are what you want ink on/of.

So, what do you want tattooed and where do you want it?

What line of work are you in to be concerned of body ink?

Before you actually answer that, you seem like a bright person, so you probably already know that anything on the face/neck or below the elbow on the arms is usually a bad idea.

I have a bloody/snarling wolf on my upper arm, but the bottom hangs below the sleeve line with tank tops/polo shirts and I know the image itself puts ppl off(it's prety cheap looking), but even just seeing a litle bit of it, I get nerdy 'fuck you' looks a lot, for jobs or not.

17. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

I've worked with a bunch of "old white guys, engineers and the like," and they would all know exactly what that phrase meant without having to ask. Remember, those "old white guys" grew up in the 60's and 70's.

That being said, get the Tat if you like. If it is a problem at work, wear long sleeves.

18. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

[​IMG]

She is hot! She's the complete package.-Bud

19. blackprince11

blackprince11 Prince of the Hindu Kush

OH DEAR GOD!

{Sound of sword being unsheathed}

From what depths of hell doth thou emerge, foul creature? Get thee hence! Or I shall slay thee!

Boy! Fetch me my shield! Make haste, lest this firebreathing-beast breathe it's flames upon me unprotected!

No, but seriously, what's up with her? Wow!

20. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Screw what anyone thinks, you could die tomarrow and NOT have lived your life the way u wanted to....I say do it and do it big, go hard or go home!!!!!

Fuck the gov. fuck peoples opinions of what your choices are.....its your life, do you!