Tissue Culture Propagation?

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by bncooldude13, Nov 14, 2012.

1. bncooldude13

bncooldude13 I supply your drug dealer

Has anyone read in new High Times about..

Tissue Culture Propagation?

it new thing, where it doesnt require plants clones to replicate weed.

They just need one marijuana leaf.....scrape some green tissue of it....

and boom here comes a new plant.

I guess its new, can be kept in the tube, up to six months. Can be easily shipped in a tube...

all it is basically, is getting the tissue and DNA genes of the weed strain.

Wow, Weed is becoming Science, this is beyond cloning..:thumbsup:

Sorry, cant give more details, as the magazine wasn't mine. And scimmed through it.

2. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

plant tissue culture has been around a long time

How do you think nurseries start all those tomato plants usually what happens as they get a good strong structure and take tissue samples. The thing is you can mix genetic somewhat by doing it but you know there's no guarantee on how everytime is going to turn out.

3. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

all well and good but it takes 20x as long to get a 1ft plant than it does from a traditional clone..

still sweet tho, just doesnt have any place besides in a lab

4. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

there is an old thread about that at icmag where people were doing it with weed.

5. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

u might mean, grafting?

6. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

No, not grafting, micro propagation.

ICMAG Micro Propagation Thread

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micropropagation

"Micro propagation is the practice of rapidly multiplying stock plant material to produce a large number of progeny plants, using modern plant tissue culture methods.[1]

Micro propagation is used to multiply novel plants, such as those that have been genetically modified or bred through conventional plant breeding methods. It is also used to provide a sufficient number of plantlets for planting from a stock plant which does not produce seeds, or does not respond well to vegetative reproduction.

Cornell University botanist Frederick Campion Steward discovered and pioneered micro propagation and plant tissue culture in the late 1950s and early 1960s.[2]"

7. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

The use in transporting tissues of clone only strains would be phenomenal. Of course that could mean a further homogenizing of cannabis. Tough trade off.

8. noreastgrow

noreastgrow Super Dank Headies

Tissue Culture

Tissue culture is real cool. You root tissue in agar. The agar contains different ratios of hormones. Typically it's two compounds, one to promote root growth the other for shoots. It takes a long time to grow a large plant. The other downside is that tissue propagation is highly susceptible to disease and other contaminants. To do it successfully you need a clean lab and the cuttings have to be taken and placed in the agar under a flow hood.

I tried it a few times with house plants but never was able to get any successful plants. All got infected :(

NEG

9. bncooldude13

bncooldude13 I supply your drug dealer

Thanks for the wonderfull information man. Good stuff.

Seems like a very Laboratory type procedure.

10. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

clean room

All a laboratory is is a clean room with no contaminants And you follow laboratory procedures before entering the room

11. noreastgrow

noreastgrow Super Dank Headies

Yeah but you have to sterilize the cuttings prior to propagating and you also have to sterilize the cutting instrument after each cut. Very tedious stuff. Technically all you need is a flow hood but some spore in the room can just land on your cutting and screw everything up. I've heard of annual cuttings being placed in agar, grown and offered as callused cuttings. They root a few days quicker then a standard cutting, however one would need a lot more equipment to do that vs a standard cutting. It only makes economic sense to do it on a large scale. Prob won't be seeing callused cannabis cuttings anytime soon.

NEG

12. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

MT. King cut it man. You aren't a scientist and you don't play one on tv.