Knowledge about fertilizers/amounts

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by IndicaJ, Apr 14, 2013.

1. IndicaJ

IndicaJ Well Rooted

i have alot of this crystal fertilizer. blue, green, red, aqua colored, lol. but it's from random sources. i've dried it all. majority of it is nitrates. 12-16 range. the light green stuff was 8-1-1, i believe. said safe for seedlings or clones. the red stuff was high phosphorus @18 or 20. it surely was for budding. all this i know, i guess the question i have is with no dirt, using only 50/50 peat moss/vermiculite combo, how often do i feed them?

what i can tell you about type: majority of the plants, some known and also unknown strains, are all pollenated by a white widow male. There are a significant # of blueberry/widow plants. There are Rhino's, Widows, and then 4 other pollenated strains of unknown origin. Basis is in widow obviously, but there are a few more sensitive ones now, (i'm guessing lol) but if anything it's going to strengthen up the blue's. (that's how i'll look at it, glass half full!) anyway. how often to feed them? thanks again! -J :smokin:

(I guess this could have been in DIY. Use what you got! $ave Your Money!)

2. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

As far as your nutrients go I would suggest that you only use nutrients designed for MJ mostly. Check with your local hydro shops for the nutrients you need.

The old nutrients you have that are not labeled, I would get rid of them and start with new nutrients.

As far as feeding and how much? I feed every time I water.

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you need to still do some reading on MJ cultivation.

I use the Canna nutrient line and love the results. The Canna line is a little more expensive then some but that's what works best for me.

:redbong:

3. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

I'd throw out what you have and get some nutes for mj, general hydroponics, canna, advanced nutrients, any of those will work.

4. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

If you want an inexpensive nutrient try General Hydro's maxi grow and maxi bloom. Money got tight so I ran a round with maxi bloom and had great results. I add Sugaree sweetener and MOAB and the results were as good as any nutrients I've tried before. I'm not a large scale producer so I'm sure they'll have different results with their nutes of choice, but if its for your personal stash give it a try.

5. noreastgrow

noreastgrow Super Dank Headies

I agree get rid of the stuff you dont really know about. I used CNS17 bloom and grow with good results. I think both bottles cost me like 25 bucks all together.

NEG

6. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

When a decent plant can be valued at $400-$1500 USD at harvest does it make sense to use products you're unsure of to save $40 per garden?

7. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I'm not sure what to tell you about those mystery nutes. Without being able to be sure what's in them it's hard to say exactly how strong they are or how they will affect one another if mixed or used in conjunction with one another. I would agree that it's best to ditch them and start with something you can be sure of how strong it is and how to properly mix it.

In soilless mediums I feed 3 times and give plain water every 4th watering to avoid salt buildup.

If you want cheap nutes that work and are commercially available at almost any home improvement store with a garden center. Try Alaska Fish Fertilizer and Alaska MorBloom. I've used them in my soil grows with fantastic results and they are cheap and widely available. I've never used them in a soilless medium however and can't say if that would make any difference or not.

Ohh and just curious, why peat and vermiculite as a medium? Why not Coco or Perlite or a mix of those 2? Personally I don't care for vermiculite and I only use peat as a seed starter mix.

8. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

:5eek:Mystery nutes:5eek:

Dude, no way bro. Get something you can be certain you know what you've got, what you're dealing with in terms of dose per feeding and how it will effect Ph levels.

9. IndicaJ

IndicaJ Well Rooted

I agree completely. A fellow member, discussed with me in some length about hempy buckets. I am going to try it out, soon as I can order all the perlite. He sent a url to a amazon page with complete nutrient fert...it was for hydro but said it's what i want for hempy, and I certainly trust him! Brand, not sure, but it was the cheaper of the ones, less than $20 for the typical bag size they were showing (not sure). The reason for the madness? ;) Right now, money is very tight, and I'm doing with what I have and can get cheap.

No offense taken :) I do need to read more, but not beginner stuff. My knowledge of MJ is allowing me to get away with this, with incredible results actually. I have taken a grow over from my room-mate. I have pictures of the initial rooms. Baked plants, WAY too many lights, no proper ventilation, his medium is a block of soil, barely lightened down with anything, i think some verm, and no drainage. Buckets with no holes...wow. Spider Mite infestation extreme. He's also ligitimately wondering why he can't get them knocked down like before, lol. He's just incubating the larvae. I snapped out and threw him off the job. Now it's getting to where i will have a good sea going again. He cost us, period. So it's time for some DIY.

As far as the ferts, is what you are using a crystal/salt like or a powder?

Miracle Grow, and the like, tend to hand out alot longer than a powder. I wouldn't be comforatable using crystal fertilizers every watering. I am kinda testing it on my own, I have different mixes of mediums, and different concentrations of my 2 colors. I mixed all the nitrate ones together and kept the red stuff for budding. I live in the midwest, so I've never bought soil in my life. Fox Farms would be jealous of what i have in the back yard. Oh, and speaking of reading, just bought 21st century growning and marijuana alchemy. About to start in! :coolbounce: -J

10. IndicaJ

IndicaJ Well Rooted

Ha! That is the one! Maxi Grow and Maxi Bloom is the amazon link he provided. :)

11. IndicaJ

IndicaJ Well Rooted

They are not a complete mystery. The various containers, and some had boxes, were all general purpose miracle grow with 1 tbsp./gallon for the directons. Both boxes were the same on amount, but vaired slightly in nitrates. The pickle jar a lady gave me full of deep blue stuff said the same thing written on the top: 1 scoop/gal and the lil green miracle gro scoop was in the top. As far as mixing it, i could calculate it roughly within a few numbers, amount of nitrates after mixing, but the average wouldn't mean shit, because I don't know the age of them. All but the red stuff (Which I do know is Miracle Grow Tomato Food: 18-18-21) had to be dried on cookie sheets under the 400w MH.

To all that think this is nutz, it's not. It's simply MG. If you have good knowledge of plants and also MJ specifically, this is not dangerous. My worry initally was over doing it, so I was seeking any knowlege specifically about crystal fertilizers. Reason I point this out; I wanna thank rasganjah for the type of post I was looking for, not just a textbook reply. (Some admin should move this to DIY, oops!)

The Alaska stuff, I have some fish fert, got it at Rural King...they didn't have the MorBloom, didn't even know it existed :) right on, man.

The reason for the peat/verm combo is simply cost and availability. In this damn town you can buy no larger than a 8 quart bag of perlite for $6. Coco would be even harder to get. So I'm faced with being me, again, and making it happen. You can go to menards (for some reason lowes don't have em) and get vermiculite in the insulation section. HUGE bag for under $20. Peat Moss is also available at Menards, 2.2cu/ft blocks, for $8 (these online prices are a touch cheaper than locally :p lol. You might be thinking, insulation!?! Its not treated or any crap like that. It's not fiberglass. On the bottom of the bag it even says 'Sungro Horticultural'. Non-toxic, wont burn; it is good insulation!

http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/insulation/loose-fill/vermiculite-insulation/p-1485908-c-5777.htm

http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/gardening/lawn-plant-care/2-cf-sphagnum-peat-moss/p-1509487-c-10116.htm

The vermiculite is very airy, and it dries up faster than peat moss, which i've noticed loves to stay wet forever. A 50/50 mix will keep the plant drinking it up, and what isn't evaps in there for an increase in humidity (i needed). Litterally, I changed from ole boys rock hard soil blocks to this, and got a 10% increase from medium change alone. :smokin: -J

12. Midnight Garden

Oh good lord, here we go again.

13. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

We understand much more than you are giving us credit for. Don't take the advice, that's your choice. But then please, please, refrain from giving advice on our forum. Your style, or lack thereof, is not conducive to what we are trying to teach newcomers.

And yes, the Sungro attic vermiculite is exactly the same as the Sungro horticultural vermiculite.

good luck,

Res

14. DuffMan

DuffMan Horticultural Technician

Well said.

I feel like if you had your garden dialled in to the point that you can say you got 10% increase from any 1 factor then you would have your ferts dialled in already.

Seems like you don't know as much as you lead us to believe. The fact that you'r asking about ferts based on colour and powderyness kind of gives that away.

Not trying to give you a hard time but a lot of us have been doing this for a while and can smell a noob masquerading around the forums pretending it was their "friend" that made the mistakes. Not to say that doesn't happen, I left the wrong person in charge while I was away at the beginning of my current grow.

People here are much more willing to help people who help themselves.

Here's a link to help ya out.

http://forum.growkind.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37

I use Home and Garden SOIL 2 part fertilizer and feed once a week with increasing concentration each week and every 4th feeding is straight PHd water. Home and Garden has a feeding schedule online I believe.

Welcome and good luck.

15. SirStynkalot

SirStynkalot A Fat Sticky Bud

Exactly. Prolly aughta start over, and this time use stuff you don't mind putting in your body. MG is nasty stuff and I don't even know why you'd dry it out in the first place. Pulling liquid nutes out of solution is almost always a bad, BAD idea.

16. IndicaJ

IndicaJ Well Rooted

I didn't feel as though I discredited anyone, just pointed out a specific about my question...(I'll answer these both here) Crystal is a significant importance over powders or liquids, so...ok. This is my 4th run, 2nd with decent lights...I'm not trying to stir shit up guys...Never did claim my status as a Professor in the Department of Horticulture @ UofI, so please don't be so defensive and negative, damn. Here we go again...where we goin? All 3 of you can GO somewhere and degrade posts on another forum is kinda what I initially thought...Thanks for...NOT SHIT. GO together and grow with your SPECIFIC 'STYLE' and UNLIMITED FUNDS. (No offense everyone else, they know who they are.)

Appreciate it, love the forum, happy to be here! :bravo: -J

17. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Take a chill pill dude. These people only want to help. You asked for help, they were providing it. You didn't like what they had to say. Seems like you wanted everybody to say how smart you were for using unknown nutes (after they all answer, you change things up by saying you know what they are). MG can work and has for many growers. Is it preferred? Hell no. Almost all the people here that offer advice has been to more than one rodeo. As a matter of fact, they've been to a hell of a lot more than 4 and most of them don't think that they have mastered the craft of growing as of yet but you seem to think that you've conquered all after 4 runs, 2 with good lights. Your awesome. If you love the forum and are happy to be here, then I'd knock your bullshit off and check your ego at the door.

Oh yeah, you had me at "way too many lights." :smokin:

18. Midnight Garden

I don't know about everyone else but I love having a specific style and unlimited funds. :rofl6:

[YOUTUBE]J0RTD7250II[/YOUTUBE]

19. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Miracle Grow sucks dude. It's best left for houseplants and ornamental flowers. It's not tailored for growing ganja and is notoriously strong and not properly balanced for what a ganja plant wants. :FAQ:

Yes it can be used with success if you want to go that route but don't expect anyone here to pat you on the back for saving a couple bucks by using unlabeled old MG products that you had to "Dry Out" in an oven? :wtf?: I mean come on dude get real! A bottle of fish ferts is like $5.99 so 2 bottles is how much boys and girls? That's right $11.98 + Tax. Even if they are $10 per bottle they will last you a couple grows by which time you should have the money to buy some proper nutes like General Hydroponics or Canna or whatever you choose.

It seems to me that you're are the one that got defensive when we told you that your idea to use mystery unlabeled MG nutes was not a great one. I've personally grown at least a dozen or more harvests, I can't keep track anymore but I'm way ahead of you and others here are way ahead of me and we're all still learning and sharing what we have learned along the way. One thing we learned is that mystery unlabeled MG nutes are not ideal for your grow. Be our guest though and use them and learn for yourself if that's how you want to do it.

What are you talking about when you say

? I don't understand this at all. WHat makes a crystalized nutrient more significantly important than a powdered or liquid nutrient? If anything all dry ferts are less significant since they must first be dissolved into water before they are able to be used by a plant. Liquid would be the most soluble form of nutrients IMO.
    My recommendation stands as before. Ditch the MG crap and get something worth while. General Hydroponics Flora series is affordable at something like $7/Qt. or $20/Gal. it's a 3 part formula so at $7/Qt. you could get the 3 part line for around $20 and if you follow the Useless Formula you'll have quality ganja for sure. It's what I use and a lot of other successful growers are using as well. Tried and true and affordable. :passsit:

20. IndicaJ

IndicaJ Well Rooted

Hmmm. Well, you are all correct, never said otherwise, hence my unhappiness, I'd guess, huh. If you thought I was posting for a pat on the back...? ...because of a desperation move I had to pull to save this shit from a complete restart. No dudes, I litterally have (not all actually) bill money at the moment. Which also, I don't expect you to care about; Saying 'MG sucks and here's things that cost money' is less than helpful, though. Its kinda like rubbing it in at this point really.

You are all fairly mean, judgemental, critical...shit, I can go on really, except I am none of those things, to anyone. Eye for an eye..You get what you give... there are sayings for days.

I certainly never pulled out my 'ego' until everyone in the saloon was already drawn down, so really who's the ego trip here? I'd imagine after a few ppl in a row saying the same unhelpful thing, defense could have surfaced; myself now understanding only FEW of you are understanding the boat i'm sailing in is damaged, and I have to make it work. Everyone else says sink the bitch, right? Who cares.

Here is an example of what my expectations were in a response:

"What are you talking about when you say: Quote: Originally Posted by IndicaJ: "Crystal is a significant importance over powders or liquids

? I don't understand this at all. WHat makes a crystalized nutrient more significantly important than a powdered or liquid nutrient? If anything all dry ferts are less significant since they must first be dissolved into water before they are able to be used by a plant. Liquid would be the most soluble form of nutrients IMO. ""

A crystal is a solid that has a regularly repeating internal structure. A powder can be crystalline (be composed of many many crystals), or it can be just a crushed solid that is not necessarily a crystal. Powder has a bigger surface area and therefore will be faster and more reactive. You are correct about solute, liquid will combine with liquid most effectively, also making it very important to know the concentration of a liquid. Chemistry 101, bud. LOL.

So I guess after repeated attemts to nicely say that I'm not able to comply with your advice, and the same advice (repeatedly) rolls in...I am at that point not going to be the kid bantered by the rich boys cause I'm wearing wal-mart shoes. Excuse me for expecting an intelligent, scientific approach and analysis, WTF was I thinking?!? :BangHead:

Hell, why would someone knowing a little more than H.S. level chem. chime in and tell me if I am underdoing it, and could get a little more going...or tell me an ACTUAL reason why this is sooo evil anyway. Then tell me not to advise ppl, really? No problem, I will not do so any more. Thank you for your support, except, not really. WOW. never saw any of this coming from a question about crystalline nitrogen. LOL -J :roffl: