Can I get a WITNESS??!!

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by friendlyfarmer, Jul 23, 2014.

1. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

AMEN!!!

:bananas:

I'm converted. I walked down the aisle and let LED into my heart and now I'm convinced. What did it for me? Layin my actual eyeballs on DXE's tents. The grows are all LED and look great. Exactly what you want - lots and lots of BIG early healthy chunk all over the place.

With the earlier flower times and less wasted light, less heat and less electric bill it's a no brainer if you can swallow the up front cost increase, which isn't ALL that big if you skip buying hoods and fans and duct on a new build. If you are retrofitting an existing setup, you don't get those cost savings. But anyway I went to DXE's and drank some coolaid...

2. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

I would love to be able to check out other people's grows. That must help out your growing tremendously. The both of ya's. Until then, I ain't witnessing anything. I see nothing. I know nothing. I hear nothing.

3. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Yeah the only garden I can checknout us my own... What light you going with?

4. DXE

DXE Moderator

Not sure if the jackhammer hash or the bowls of jbko or the beer/koolaid did it

5. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

I can tell your going to b into this FF, The proof is in the pudding.....

6. friendlyfarmer

It was all of the above. On a serious note, thanks for the hospitality. The dogs and kids had a GREAT time, and indeed I DID learn a lot. And thankee kindly for the beer.

For example, I have been running KQxBH hoping it was gonna be another sannie special like the JBxKOK. :BangHead: It is definitely not. Now I know that it wasn't me! I was really feeling inadequate - truly less than a man, like I had been castrated because I couldn't make a table of that shit produce chunk.

I can have my balls back now.

I also played with those LED lights. I have to say the tops get hot enough to be REALLY uncomfortable to leave your palm there for more than 3-5 seconds. And the lights are small. Like the area of the shoebox lid. So I understand now the issues with light footprint.

When I'm setting up a new op, I will do it with Onyx LED. I only trust what I have seen in this regard.

7. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

That's totally respectable. it was really hard to try and figure out what was a smart purchase when I bought my first one. No one here messing with them, having to rely on a bunch of people who I don't know their capabilities. Having to research not only lights but growers and everything else to make a call. I'm happy with the A51, and would not hesitate to recommend. Though I'm no fanboy and DXE along with some others are getting great results with the onyx. IMO other than a DIY project the onyx is the best bang for your buck. They seem to cut some good deals too.

From what I can tell the Onyx is great, they run a little hotter and I'm not sure if the diffused lenses rob them of too much. Though from a couple other like captain morgan who owns an onyx and RW 150 they are about on the same level, which is what I would say about the XGS 190 I have with my RW 150.

So it seems from a electrical efficiency standpoint RW-150>XGS>ONYX. Cost wise ONXY>RW150>XGS. Performance wise they seem about equal. Foot print wise I think captain was saying the RW had a bit more of a foot print. Which isn't surprising given the lens angles and size of the panels.

Onyx is definitely a good light at a reasonable cost and in quite a few cases cheaper than a lot of the bullshit lights that fail left and right that are no name cheap ass crap with mystery driver, boards, led bins, and everything else that goes into it.

One thing that's been shown for sure is the performance of the Apache techs, A51 and now the ONYX. Those are pretty much the only 3 lights that also will give you bin information that shows the quality of the led. Binning on LEDs for a manufacturer can be like buying a car. You could go with a Toyota Yaris, or go with the Lexus LFA. Both the same manufacturer, way different all the way around. That's just as if not more important than the drivers.

8. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

So how would you guys go about replacing 4-600w HPS covering 32+ sq/ft? Having a little trouble interpreting coverage equivalents.:read2::redbong:

9. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

6-8 should do it(that would be my guess, I would use 2 RW-150s to a 600 for sure.). DXE can help ya and he's got a good contact at onyx too I believe to get ya a good price. Not sure if he got that himself or if DBkick pointed him in that direction. Not sure if they ever even talked actually... LOL

10. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

dxe this is all your fault dude. :kidding: It's exciting to see the changes in lighting technology, I'm really looking forward to changing things up.

FF looking forward to seeing your set up in the future.

Question for you guys.

I'll be switching over to the Onyx LED's myself, when I do I will need to cover a 3 by 6 foot area. I'm thinking I'll need three of them for good strong coverage? :jj:

11. Bigbud214

I just shut down my 400 watt MH in veg and replaced it with 3 x 120w equivalent cool white LED floods so now only drawing 57 watts... No heat and plants seem to love them...

I still want to upgrade to either A51 or Onyx for the flower cab. Maybe a combo of the two

12. DXE

DXE Moderator

Three by six would work fine with three units - I started with three and added a fourth mainly for footprint - my spaces are six by four - I pack the girls in te

Here as well - 8-12 plants

One thing I found in mr research was that the folks at rapid/onyx were the only manufacture willing to share a graph of their spectrum and directly compare it to a hortilux eye

13. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

FF, it looks like I'm about 30 to 60 days away from being able to get things set back up & I'll definitely be making the jump to LED as well. Let's make sure we hook up before then with DXE to work on a bulk discount. Depending on how things shake out on the home front I'll be looking to pickup at least 3-4 of the Onyx units.. Sounds like a good reason to have a party up on " the mountain" now doesn't it:thumbs-up:

DXE :not-worthy::not-worthy: Good work my friend:passsit:

Duc

14. Bigbud214

I wanna join in....

15. DXE

DXE Moderator

The pool is open!!!!!

Lets get FF back down as well!!!

16. friendlyfarmer

That's good news Duc! Your timing sounds close to mine too - I'm looking at mid sept. And soon -def before then - we gotta bump heads.

Our favorite crew member from OB swung by on his way out to Burning Man and stayed at the Friendly Farm. I tried my best to knock him out but he smokes like me so even the gold wax came out. It was fun having him up and I wish I could join him for Burning Man. You should see the pics of Gerlach! Dude lives out there.

I'm gonna take the money I save in electric with LED and buy three tons of pig shit to dump on my power company's corporate lawn.

17. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

Anyone give weights as compared to a 1kw over a 4x4 area? Not knocking anyone, just curious. LEDS are the future, but I'm wondering if they can compete with the old tech yet.

Cheers

18. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

The only comparison I've seen is Par. They can put out the spectrum but not the intensity and coverage. I've got a couple LEDs and they're great where heat's an issue and do get rock hard buds, just not the footprint. I still use my 600s where possible.

Be Cool, CG

19. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

i call bs

I have a friend bought a whole bunch of LEDs Lights because he lives in Texas and the heat was killing him.

I can reduce double the weight he can

20. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Not that I've drank from the LED coolaid cup yet but I do know that all LED's are not equal, there's a lot wannabe led's our there. Onyx and Area 51 seem to be at the top of the list for those who've done the research and put cold hard cash down to make the switch.. AND I don't think it's really comparing apples to apples if use gardens from two different growers as an example.

Who knows man maybe your just twice the grower your friend is :thumbs-up:

Cheers

Duc