Small nats in res water?

Discussion in 'Pests and Plant Problems' started by Justcheckingitout, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

I should of took pics. I did a res change on my dwc tote. I noticed a shit load of real little white like flea/nats moving on top of the water before I dumped it. Can anyone tell me what they are? Only difference was I used liquid koolbloom last week and then I put in some molasses that I probably should of waited to use. I am guessing the bugs were from the molasses. They are prob all I've the roots. Should I be worried? The plants look good.

2. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

Sounds like white flies, they make stuff to add to the water to kill them. Dont remember what it is but they make it.

Im pretty sure they eat the roots.

3. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

4. Justcheckingitout

I know they are small. Like almost micro small. They are white. They kinda hop, scoot around on the water

5. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

use go gnats, I used it for fungal gnats or what ever they are called, one application is all it took.

I would suggest dunking though, the shit is kind of messy in a ressy

6. Justcheckingitout

I think FF is right. I don't think they will hurt anything for next two weeks. I didn't see where they mess with roots. They clean up res. looks like.

7. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Probably fungus gnat larvae. Your medium was probably contaminated. Shouldn't be from any of the liquid products.

8. DaBurner420

DaBurner420 This Line For Rent.

Do they look like these gnat larvae on the 1mm grid?

[​IMG]

They eat roots.:icon_confused:

9. Justcheckingitout

They look like the white larva at eye level but they scoot/hop around like shrimp, had a guy at the grow shop say they were prob the same thing FF mentioned.

Larva wouldn't jump around like that would they???

10. Justcheckingitout

Also this is dwc with clay pellets in net pots. I am thinking springtails because of molasses, but I am no expert. Does molasses cause springtails?

11. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

I've never seen gnat larva just the adults, anything flying around?

this close to the end though, you should be fine

12. Justcheckingitout

Nothing flying, the are just like shrimp, jumping and scooting around water, that's exactly how the guy at hydro shop said how springtails do. But I will get one under scope tomorrow to get good look

13. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

I thought mine in the last dwc were springtails but were fungus gnat larvae. Nothing flying until 2 week res change. Then there were a couple buzzing around in the res.

14. Justcheckingitout

Will fungus gnats larvae jump around like little grass hoppers/shrimp scooting? I only got two weeks left. Not sure what other than the koolbloom or molasses would of done it but it's only my second run. Didn't use those last time. I am breaking out the scope and getting a better idea when I get back.

15. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

16. Justcheckingitout

After getting a closer look, they def look like the springtails. Not a lot of info here on them. I will look around. They are not messing up the plants. At least not from what I can see. :smokin:Edit: not sure why pic is upside down?

image.jpg

/monthly_2014_09/image.jpg.92ac62eea4a9a56eb2aa6c474d991a38.jpg