Ebola WTF

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by nippie, Oct 1, 2014.

1. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/01/health/ebola-us/

Atlanta (CNN) -- It's a lapse that has Americans concerned and health officials asking how it could happen.

A man who had Ebola but didn't know it walked into a Dallas emergency room September 26. Although his symptoms could have indicated Ebola among other things, no one at the hospital asked him if he had recently traveled, a source close to the case told CNN.

The man, who had just flown from Liberia to the States didn't offer the information either, the source said, and the man left the hospital. A spokesman for Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital says it's investigating whether he was questioned.

Regardless, two days passed between the time the man left and then returned to the facility September 28 where it was determined he likely had Ebola and was isolated. He tested positive Tuesday, health officials said.

The CDC advises that all medical facilities should ask for patients with symptoms consistent with Ebola for their travel history. It's possible others were infected because of the lapse.

The virus is contracted through bodily fluids. It's not like a cold or the flu, which can be spread before symptoms show up. It doesn't spread through the air.

Isolating the patient and paramedics

The patient is now under intensive care and isolated at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, said CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden.

He is in serious condition, the hospital told CNN Wednesday.

The man flew from Liberia -- one of the Ebola hotspots in West Africa -- and arrived in Dallas to visit family on September 20, Frieden explained.

The patient started feeling ill around September 24 and sought medical care on September 26, Frieden said.

CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta asked Frieden Wednesday on "New Day" if the man should have been tested for Ebola on his first visit to the hospital, and if he should have been asked about his recent travel history.

"That's one of the things we'll be looking at," Frieden said. "But we're reiterating the message for every health worker in this country -- think about travel history. If someone's been in West Africa within 21 days and they've got a fever, immediately isolate them and get them tested for Ebola."

Gupta then asked Frieden to explain guidance the CDC has issued on that and again asked: "Should this person have been tested?"

"We weren't there so I can't tell you exactly what that person said..." Frieden responded.

Gupta interjected, "You're advising public health departments. Last time I was here (at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta) there was a call with many primary care doctors to educate them on this exact issue. That was a couple of months ago. Should this person have been tested?"

Frieden answered, "We know that in busy emergency departments all over the country, people may not ask travel histories. I don't know if that was done here. But we need to make sure that it is done going forward."

Air travel testing

Every person who travels by air is screened before departure and at arrival in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone, but because the man says he began feeling ill days after landing in the U.S., a screening test in West Africa would likely have not turned up that he had Ebola.

However, it's unclear what kind of screening someone arriving from West Africa might receive when arriving in the United States, said CNN's Senior Medical Correspondent Elizabeth Cohen. She and her crew recently reported in and flew from West Africa, where she said they were screened numerous times for Ebola by having their temperatures taken at the airport.

Should we worry?

But when they arrived back in the United States, and asked travel officials about whether their temperatures would be taken or they'd receive screening for Ebola, they were given unclear explanations about how the process worked and ultimately were not tested.

Regardless, the CDC maintains that passengers on the Texas man's plane were likely not at risk because the man was not displaying active symptoms on the flight.

Paramedics who transported the patient to the hospital have been isolated, Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings' chief of staff said. They have not shown symptoms of the disease so far, Frieden said.

The ambulance used to carry the patient was still in use for two days after the transport, city of Dallas spokeswoman Sana Syed said.

But she emphasized that the paramedics decontaminated the ambulance, as they do after every transport, according to national standards.

How the virus spreads

Finding the people the man came into contact with

During the time he was symptomatic, the man had a handful of contacts with people, Frieden said.

A CDC team headed to Dallas to help investigate those contacts.

Once those people are identified, they will be monitored for 21 days -- taking their temperatures twice a day -- in cooperation with local and state health officials, Frieden said Wednesday.

But Gupta pointed out that the people identified as contacts aren't, as protocol, quarantined unless they are symptomatic.

Frieden explained that people who have Ebola are not able to spread the disease unless they are symptomatic.

"We don't want to isolate parts of the world, or people who aren't sick," Frieden said, "because that's going to drive people underground and make it harder to contain this outbreak."

2. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

On his first visit to the ER he did tell them he had recently traveled from Liberia. Hospital spokesman says his "care team was complicated" and that's why that little tidbit of info "fell through the cracks." They sent him home with antibiotics.

I'm not terribly worried. Apparently ebola remains infectious even after the victim dies, and for a long time. In Liberia the local burial customs include laying hands on the deceased. Even if you tell them they will die from it, they still adhere to their religious rituals. And die in droves.

We here in America prefer not to touch dead people that are teeming with deadly viruses.

3. nippie

the man was puking all around the apartment building he was staying in..close quarters with 5 kids, threw up on EMTs and at the hospital before being diagnosed.

I'm about to home school my kids, you got that mystery virus paralyzing kids going through the schools too.

Zombie Apocalypse is here:qright1::qright2::new_snipersmilie::qright7:

4. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

I read that cdc is trying to track down like 80 people he came in contact with.

At least that shit is not airborne,,,,,,,,,,yet.

That fucker mutates right and left, like the flu.

BBT

5. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Yet what they don't tell you is there are reports of ~7000 infected, ~3000 deaths in Africa total. Liberia has about 4.3 million people. If you just use those numbers even though Liberia isn't the only place hit that makes for a .16% incidence and 0.069% mortality roughly when compared to total population. Something to be concerned about but like always people fear what they don't understand and doesn't help Ebola has the characteristics of something out of a horror/drama film.

6. nippie

But what you fail to realize is that in Africa is wipes out villages which keeps the virus somewhat in check. They do not have the infrastructure that we do, they can't travel 3000 in the course of an afternoon or get in a car and drive 1000 miles in one day.

That's the biggest problem, we have no way to contain it if it spreads....in africa it's self contained because they lack roads

7. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Well just lol at how many people he came in contact with in just 2 days. Now if those 80 people were in contact with say 50 people each.... That's 4,000 contacts in days.... Keep extrapolating those numbers snd it becomes frightening in no time.

8. skunky

That's not exactly true and I'm very aware of the situation. A big part of the issue is a lot I f those people take care of their families there or seek help typically when it's too late. They don't trust their govt at all they try to uphold their burial rituals instead of properly disposing of the infected bodies by incinerating them. You have much greater chances bring exposed to other things that kill way more people annually. Can't wait for flu season and then next summer so everyone can freak out about west nile again. Be aware and be cautious but you are more likely to contract and die from multi drug resistant tuberculosis from a contaminated air conditioning system.

Ebola is not a successful virus. Yes it does have around a 50% mortality rate.... in Africa. We've had West Nile mortality rates near 40% in 2012 here in the US. There is no treatment for that and much harder to protect yourself against a mosquito bite. Funny how I saw no one freaking out when a forgotten vial of viable smallpox was discovered a couple months back and turned over to the cdc. No treatment or cure there and that's killed over 500 million people. The govt even has a law they passed 23 years after declaring eradication that restricts who could even potentially receive what little smallpox vaccine is still around in the event of a sudden outbreak. Idk maybe next year bird flu will be the big topic again.

9. nippie

west nile only had a 3-15% mortality rate from other disease while sick with the vast majority (up to 80%) people never even knowing they had it. But you bring up a point, the flu is successful because it mutates....what happens when this mutates?

Another off note, flu doesn't make you bleed out you eyes and ass til you die

They just admitted someone in DC with possible case also

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/03/howard-university-ebola-symptoms-patient-admitted-nigeria/16645717/

all this aside, it's a needless risk that we shouldn't have even faced. We are facing a plague because of politicians...actually just one politician

we have a man that is convinced that no one will lie on a questionnaire and that they are to stupid to think of taking tylenol to ward off the fever for an hour to board.

One mans political correctness is risking the lives of millions

10. skunky

I'll agree with everything except your first paragraph. Just for accuracy sake. Here is the history mortality rates. Currently running at 46.5%. 3338/7178. The times it's been that high were times in the Congo when the majority of the people never even settled medical attention. Or only 1 or so was infected.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/history/chronology.html?mobile=nocontent#modalIdString_outbreaks

West Nile in 2012 was 33%. And I'm not sure super cranial pressure where your brain can essential melt doesn't sound much better than bleeding out orifices. I'd like to avoid both though.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6225a1.htm?mobile=nocontent

Scariest part to me it's the possibility that these people could be doing this intentionally. Who needs a biological weapon when you have a human infected vector to spread it. They definitely need to do more about trying prevent/stop these people from traveling somehow.

11. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

I got my sign "The end is near" and a bunch of water and food stored, and 6 guns and lot's of ammo, Just kidding......about the sign....:roffl:

Just think, every couple of weeks the people infected will prob double if they don't get a handel on it now.

The black horse from the "Bride" is upon us.....:icon_confused:

But seriously, shit is scary, if your not concerned, you might want to keep an eye/ear out on what might happen.

12. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

So Ebola can only be transmitted by bodily fluids. Is it like AIDS with a 50% survival rate?

If Ebola isn't the black horse, the next gift from Africa might be.

13. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

Ebola, buh-buh-buh-buh-bolahhh

She walked up to me and she sneezed in my face,

I started shitting my guts all over the place,

Oh my Ebola, E-E-E-E-bola...

:jj:

14. nippie

Skunk reread your link. It states just 5% died from west nile.

Doesnt matter I guess if my family was one of 5 10 whatever precent I would devastated

We are just going to keep cases because now tgese people think we have a cure and can save them. You really cant blame them though...id lie and get on a plane if I thought it would save one of my kids so they could get proper treatment.

I bet we have cases pop all here and there until we enforce travel ban like other countries are doing.

Pd...top ten hit there :roffl:

Jco...my wife made me do an ammo run last week lol

Ff thats the thing....I dont think we know. I call bs on what cdc is saying. If its not that big of a threat and you have to sick to transmit. ..why yhe hell are the people in dallas under armed guard? No fevers yet but they guns on them. Gov doesnt believe its own shit

15. Bigbud214

Something big will happen... Its due.. shit some third world terrorist is probably planing to infect a bunchbof people and send them here to spread it. Maybe even north Korea or promise some deciple of Allah that he will get 14 virgins instead of the usual 7 if he accomplishes his task...

16. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

Seriously, how do yall walk during the day and not run into shit while looking behind your shoulder all the time?

17. nippie

using basic common sense is called evolution. don't think anyone is paranoid best to know facts that just wonder through life.

i try not to use a hair drier in the shower either you know. That should trip a breaker before killing you but I'm not going to take the chance. Nor would I have sex with random women without a condom....you know basic common sense when it comes to self preservation.

to take needless risk with ZERO reward is absurd. calculated risks are one thing, risk vs reward. Tell me how what reward we have by letting this people come here? Who should pay for all of this?

Unless you are saying you believe the government, because if they are telling the truth, why the armed guards, why are they monitoring other people? If you can only catch why someone is else, then there was no secondary risk which is contrary to what they are doing. Why are they using hazmat suits?

Why did they seize the plane that flew the man from liberia? :read2:

While I agree the flu will kill more this year than ebola this year...it's on our soil now....and for no reason at all besides political correctness. The admin has once again shown it's incapable of governing.

Dont you think a travel ban would save lives? That's basic common sense, like not using hair drier in the shower.

18. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

:roffl::roffl:

Aaaaaa.......Choooooooo

OH. SHIT......:5eek:

19. nippie

you ever wonder if allah meant old harry dudes or something. Is it specified female :5eek:

20. Bigbud214

I'm not looking over my shoulder.... But you dont consider some of these extremists as capable?

Anyways I'd rather think its possible. There by adding a modicum of protection by awareness. Can't be surprised by something you consider possible. Though that's my thought process and works for my warped brain. Not for everyone to agree with