Just yakking

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by friendlyfarmer, May 18, 2015.

1. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

I downsized. I gifted my Dabney, Confidential Cheese, Jila, and Cotton Candy to another grow I am involved with. Kept my 8 weekers - AK-47, Critical Kush, and the good ole' JBxKOK.

I just ain't got the time for 10 weekers...too bad cuz I have a Sour Diesel that is just starting to look awake after a month of recovering from an overland journey. She's ten weeks to finish, so not for me. I'll do a run of her once i get ahead of the game (ha ha) and until then I will torture myself by growing a big luscious mom just so I can say I had it. :bduh:

2. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Why hate on a ten weeker? Yeild sometime makes up the difference in time and frankly im looking for a good sativa because its been so long.

Everyone wants that quick turn around but you gotta way all options

3. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

You will miss the conf cheese... Lol

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Get some shit once in awhile about growing so many 10+ week strains from my guy. It's tough to say no to the dough. Then I ask him; "Do you like those head popping sativas?"

The discussion ends pretty quick.

5. friendlyfarmer

Blah blah blah

Big difference for me. The way I run is back to back. The bills have to get paid monthly. It's the difference between 12 harvests per year and 9, so big difference.

6. ResinRubber

True, bills is bills and they do gotta get paid. There's a reason most market guys go with 8 week strains.

7. nippie

truth be told, most 8 weekers are really 9. sometimes you just gotta let nature take it's course and tax.

the weight and the tax cover the lost harvest

:redbong:

8. ResinRubber

Tax?

I dunno if it ever really balances out. A good 10-12 week sativa brings a few extra $$ because of scarcity, but I don't think it's enough to offset the extra two cycles lost in that sq/footage. On the plus side is offering something folks usually don't see and that gains a toehold in the market.

That said.... there are very few 16+ week Thai or Cambodian strains running in commercial gardens because of the same principle you're outlining FF.

9. nippie

tack on 10% a week past 8.

might not fully make it the difference but it helps, it also helps because it's a 'premium product' because they are getting charged more.

in the end, people are stupid, you charge them more they think it's better. it's all about the advertising you know, same as in real life.

It's like the whole organic thing in the food industry, or gluten free....buzz words = taxing that ass.

[YOUTUBE]YFKT4jvN4OE[/YOUTUBE]

But you have to do what works for you, you aint got the time you aint got the time. I understand tht because I ran that way for years. Now I'm trying something different because competition is causing me to explore my options and find a niche that I can tax on.

10. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Yeah, the "8 week" strains end up taking 2 full months, just under 9 weeks, unless it's in hydro. But here there's just not enough market for the 10+ week sativas without going outside the my secure little circle.

It's nice to have some for personal though. I've still got a little of the Dabney, that FF fixed me up with, that I'll get into once a week or so.

Be Cool, CG

11. friendlyfarmer

If I could get a premium for longer flower bud, I'd do it right away, my schedules be damned. Trouble is I'm getting choked - can hardly move what I have, which ain't shabby quality-wise. Getting a premium for something "special" would be a dream come true. Seems like it's a buyers market anymore, but what the hell do I know? I'm buried here in my little corner of the world, can't peep out for fear of the man. I could push for more outlets, but it's a catch 22 because that comes with more risk and I got enough already. So I pretty much take what my guy gives me, no options. All these damned legal Westies sitting on 100 pound crops they can't give away flooding my market and jamming me up.

12. ResinRubber

Now I see Nip. Thanks for cluing the dumb guy (me). Around here it's about $50 extra per zip for well tended sativas. It goes slow but steadily. Folks who can first tell the difference, then are willing to pay for it, are a loyal, but limited, fan base.

If a guy mixes things up by only putting out really potent sativa doms a few times a year it helps the overall sales of everything else. Even in the black market image is king. If folks think you're capable of putting out incredibly stony weed, even at a premium cost, it raises the overall image of your regular product. I feel you though FF. Just learned that my guy is still holding from the last round. Bodes ill for future prices or demand. Lots of folks making the trip to skim off MMJ and legal market overages at cheap prices.

13. nippie

Our market got flooded last year. Prices took a dive hard core.

But for some reason its dry as the Sahara right now. Hell I couldn't keep up with demand if I wanted to. But even now im running things s little longer, curing longer etc to make it prem product to compete with cheap outdoor coming from cali. Theres no way I can compete with pricing on that which some customers want, but most others stayed put because while it might cost more, it gets you high without smoking an eighth a sitting.

Every market is different. Got to find that niche you know. Last year it was berry around here, now its frost and sativas demanding price. Just like any biz, you have to look for trends and supply thrm accordingly. If one thing doesn't work, you look at options so you can stay on top imho

14. Annunaki

Annunaki Developed Alternating Nodes

I've got nothing going on , but I don't even think I could push much weight anymore if I wanted. I'm still owed money from years ago! But the one thing is like my one buddy say , "dude I buy medical". Maybe when the time comes I buy canning jars and put Colorado stickers on it!

But really , then what. You need to take on risk and find new buyers....it's a cache 22

15. nippie

medical...buzz word

just like cali was about ten years ago.

honestly, what is medical marijuana??? is it somehow different because it's sold with a licensing fee?

16. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

They still pay 400 a z in the rich orlando neighborhoods. Seems 200 a z is everywhere else around here. Some dude selling chem dog for 90 a z in the sticks. Fucked us little guys up. But the 90 a z guy will get busted soon telling everyone his business. I tried to tell him but heard abunch of others talking "dude" grows good shit and sells cheap. Hope he saves bail money.

17. ResinRubber

"med". I hate that fuckin' word. Is it "med"? "I got this 'med' weed." "That's pretty good ,but, my buddy brings in 'med' stuff and it kicks ass."

That's where I was talking about image.

Under $100 a zip? I'd be out. In a place like Fla. the risk far outweighs the reward at those kind of prices.

18. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Yeah the consumer's image is fuckin funny. I used to take some to a cousin in a college town and he wanted it in jars instead of bags. I asked, bags-jars what's the difference. He got $50 more a pop because the dumbasses thought only high grade shit came in a jar. Now they just change the name every few weeks and the kids think it's the latest exotic shit. Just a fucking mind game.

Be Cool, CG

19. nippie

Shit im out if ever under 200. Id like to think I do a decent job and frankly this shit is like working a second job. People dont realize time,money and effort put into a good grow. Outdoor not so much, but us indoor guys have to be the jack of all trades. Carpenter, sparky, chemist, trimmer, sales rep...the shit is work.

But yea I lost someone to 'medical' whom I was doing a favor too. Now he gets shit weed with no smell, tiny ass buds that dont get you high...but its medical at nearly twice the price. Fucking killed me the first coulle times because it was offered to me at literally half cost and then to find out one of my guys went that route.

Anyways, yea, medical marijuana can suck my ass. Not little kids needing treatment for seizures. ..but average person wanting pain relief or just to get really really stoned, medical can kiss my brown eye.

But I have a bunch of hippie friends. You know they actually fall for other things like free range chicken etc. They honestly got mad at me when I explained to them what that meant. It doesnt mean the chickens have acres and acres of pasture....it means they went outside. I got and im not shitting you " no fucking way dude, look at the picture on their logo, thats open feilds man".........tried to explain I buy from companies with 'farm' in their name with picture of a little happy cow in their logo based in camden nj. You honestly think in camden they have acfarm in the middle of the city where happy little cows frolic while dodging gunshots?

But my said and shes right. Our state is going legal this year. Competing bids so either wwre golden or screwed. If we golden, were golden because shell handle marketing and sales and shell come up with some dumb ass little catch phrase and pic to get people money. That and we will make sure the counter is filled with hot young women so men will gladly overpay for product just to impress the girls like thryd have a chance to get laid

20. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

I told this 90 a z guy, if he didnt up his prices, every tom dick and harry would always expext the same deal from everyone else, he helps some dudes with small shit like check on plants and water if needed and gets 6 plants at chop every couple of weeks, they just give him, so its free money for him, he thinks hes the man. He asked me if I wanted a 1/2 for 40 and when i looked at it, i could tell it was short, onother guy took it and it was over 2g short. Even if its a good deal, a half is still 14g's when you are paying. Pisses me off since he stole three of my friends that use to Call me a couple times a month, now I dont even keep in contact with them because when shit hits the fan, I will be no where in sight. If the guys he hangs with that grow knew he was telling everyone their business, they would prob freak out. Loose lips.....:danger:

I once told this guy in another band that I could get some white widdow and he told me there was no such thing and acted like I was making up shit, he said there is only three kinds, ts all the same, seedy, some seeds and no seeds. Goes to show you some people have no clue whats really out there.

The bud on my avatar, I told a old band mate it was "donky dick" bud, that was easy for him to believe. Lol i did go back and tell him it as big bud x G13.