Feds refusal to reclassify marijuana

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nippie, Aug 12, 2016.

1. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2016/08/12/2016-17960/denial-of-petition-to-initiate-proceedings-to-reschedule-marijuana?utm_campaign=pi subscription mailing list&utm_medium=email&utm_source=federalregister.gov

I'd post the entire thing but it's a tad long

So for all the hope and change we got this, same old reefer madness.

feds are arguing since it's a plant, it can't be accepted because a base line from one plant to another doesn't exist and you cant have controlled intake because of the nature of a plant...each one is different.

also according to the feds, if you get hit by a mac truck and you smoke marijuana, marijuana caused that to happen. They claim marijuana is the most illegal drug used by people admitted to the hospital so thus the connection

furthermore a pill exists that takes the place of marijuana so you should take that instead of marijuana, if you opt not to then you are proving the governments stance on it being the most used, abused and thus dangerous drug in the world

to sum up, we don't get reclassification until a time comes where our corporations can get there shit together so they can block all small farmers and use FDA to block any marijuana but theirs.

So when/if feds ever do reclassify, everyone is out of biz except by corporations.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Pretty much sums it up brother Nip.

Funny, Feds can classify a plant as a drug to make it illegal, but can't classify a plant as a drug to make it less illegal. A convenient contrivance for a body that wants to keep the Drug War$$ going, satisfy the pharm lobby and not scare the Midwest Lutherans.

3. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

With all the states that have made changes, it has to be a BIG thing like the pharm compaines keeping it down. Goes to show you just like the cartels, money can get you just about anything. I bet if the pharm companys were first ones in the medical MJ business it would be way different than it is now. The Grannys and Grampys in church are mad at everything now they cant get laid all the time. I would be too if I couldnt get this everynight image.jpg

4. ResinRubber

Some of us don't get that any night anymore. One day it will be you too.:(

5. Justcheckingitout

Sad but tru Res, but till then this one will do just fine. :)

I wonder if big pharm could get the gov to let them take over legal Med MJ and cut off all the states that voted recreational out? That would be fucked up.

6. nippie

The feds said they are going to allow for more research, some word for bog pharm is getting into the game to come up with something they can constantly produce with same levels.

Then it will be reclassified so they can use the banking system, in my humble opinion

And nice jco

7. nippie

yea, GK does have some great looking women...notice the shirt from GK store

8. Justcheckingitout

I would of never noticed the shirt if you didnt mention it. Lol

we might just have to get the GK women callender going. :cool:

9. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

I couldnt see the shirt either, the camera must be a dude, it focused the same as my eyes.

10. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Both pictures looked good in my eyes.

11. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Heres a nice little read from Jesse Ventura.

Jesse Ventura: The DEA has just been ‘toying with us’ on legalizing marijuana

[​IMG]

Last week, the DEA decided not to reschedule the classification of marijuana as a legal drug. According to federal drug codes, cannabis is still as deadly and addictive as heroin, with no known medical value. I was surprised to see how many articles were written about this decision without mentioning the obvious: This was going to happen. The DEA was just toying with us.

There were petitions that received enough signatures and then some senators wrote the DEA a letter, so the DEA had to give the matter "serious consideration." But as long as the DEA is in charge of both writing the law and enforcing it, they're going to keep things status quo, no matter what American taxpayers actually want.

There are all kinds of contradictions and misrepresentations about marijuana. Everyone says we need more research to determine the true medical value of marijuana, but that won't happen within the U.S. for a number of reasons. In the first place, the DEA is in charge of approving scientific research studies! Now, the DEA isn't an independent organization or a scientific organization — they are a law-enforcement organization — yet they are given the responsibility to be both judge and jury when it comes to what research studies can be done within the United States?

There are plenty of scientific studies that have proven the medical value of marijuana, but they're being done in countries like Spain and Israel — and get this: our federal government actually funds those studies. A prime example is Dr. Raphael Mechoulam of Israel. The U.S. National Institute of Health (NIH) has provided Dr. Mechoulam with funding for cannabis research since the early 1960s, and the National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) gave him a Lifetime Achievement Award in 2011 for his research. So what does that tell you? Well, I've read his research and I can tell you this much: Although recreational marijuana is illegal in Israel, thanks to what Dr. Mechoulam has been able to prove, medical marijuana—not a pill, but the actual plant in smoked or edible form — is being prescribed in Israel for PTSD, epilepsy and rare seizure disorders, MS, Chrohn's, chronic pain, cancer, and even HIV.

Meanwhile, the majority of Americans with those same conditions don't have access to medical marijuana as a treatment approach, even though American taxpayer money went to fund Dr. Mechoulam's studies! It's not the NIDA or the NIH deciding the value of marijuana, it's the DEA, and clearly the organization is too biased. And why wouldn't they be? They naturally want to keep the war on drugs going strong — otherwise, they'd be out of a job.

See, it comes down to job security. Why on earth would they reverse their position on marijuana? That would mean for the past 45 years, they've been prosecuting American citizens unjustly, ruining lives, and for what? Nothing. Literally nothing. Imagine if the DEA did reclassify marijuana. Would everyone with a marijuana conviction then be able to sue the DEA? Would their sentences be commuted? Would we see amnesty for marijuana offenders?

The DEA has requested a budget of $2.1 million for 2017. That's a pretty significant budget considering public enemy number one — namely, marijuana — is now being grown legally in 25 states. I mean, come on, this is just getting ridiculous. But I guess that's the American way. We allow our federal government to spend trillions on ridiculous wars — the Afghanistan War, the Iraq War, and the War on Drugs. If only there were a war on health care or a war on education or a war on infrastructure or a war on solar power. Imagine what we could accomplish!

So, how do we fight back on the DEA's War on Drugs?

There are 14 states with marijuana measures on the ballot for 2016. There are 25 states and Washington, DC that have legalized medical marijuana in some way.

If you want to rebuild our economy and really create new jobs, then we need a new industry. We don't need promises from presidential hopefuls; we in the private sector can do it on our own.

In 2015, Colorado earned more than $135 million in taxes and fees thanks to the marijuana industry. More than $35 million of that money will go toward school-construction projects. Washington state is projected to earn more than $270 million in taxes by the end of 2016. If you want to think about that on a national level, there are approximately 21,000 to 33,000 businesses in the U.S. that are tied to the marijuana industry, and that number will clearly increase if more states legalize it. How's that for rejuvenating the economy?

We have to stop thinking that the federal government knows best because it doesn't. Over half the country wants marijuana to be legalized. Just to put that into perspective: We haven't seen that kind of universal agreement on who we want as the next president!

To me, that means it's time for the government to stop opposing marijuana because it's the government's job to carry out the will of the people. The people have clearly spoken. Scientific research, though conveniently ignored, has also spoken.

If the DEA won't step aside, we'll just have to make them obsolete. Imagine if every state legalized marijuana. That could very well happen within our lifetimes. See, right now, Americans aren't equal. Some Americans can grow marijuana in their back yards, and some Americans go to jail for doing the same thing. How long will we allow such hypocrisy to continue? Step one starts at the state level. Step one starts with showing the DEA that We the People are the boss

12. Justcheckingitout

They are making too much money off of pot offenders, the jails are making billions, they dont want to loose that. Its easy money to them. They dont have to risk life and limb to arrest most people with pot.

13. nippie

My issue is dea used fda and hhs to justify their position.

You don't even need the medical evidence if you show low danger, the potential of abuse is debatable but frankly reclassification means money to corporations to make hash, that's pretty much where it's headed according to the wording. But it's really a chickenshit move to have dea (bad guys anyways) to fall on the sword instead of leading with hhs statement but that would lead to mistrust of that department

But why does it have to be labeled solely as a medicine? I don't know how else they would reclassify it to be out right legal and still have a medical programs.

It really is a double edge sword, we either make it like beer and admit there's little medical use and the majority use it for intoxication, or we call it medicine and only the rich prosper.

Otherwise you'd be arguing the fda should only you to produce oxy voting, or aids drugs

14. Justcheckingitout

The simple fact that alchol drunk driving accidents kill more people, you would think, well we know they know but just wont change it (yet). I really think if the pharmaceutical companys were in it first it would be somewhat different. I think they are trying to work a way to make them or the Gov money and we get screwed as usual. Somethings up for sure. This country is just as corrupt, not letting the people decide alot of things. The gov might as well be china on alot of things.

15. ResinRubber

Reclassification is necessary because then Dr.'s would be allowed to prescribe cannabis nationally. And why does it have to be either med or fun Nip? Why can't weed be both? Tons of shit is both. Like you said, opiates are both but we pretend they're only for med use. That's the trap of narrow thinking the DEA wants folks to use, weed can't be medicine because people use it for fun. Well guess what, it's both. Why is that a problem?

I don't get how there are over 20,000,000 annual adult users of cannabis and we can't coalesce enough to swing political candidates. If all 20,000,000 tokers voted Gary Johnson this year the DEA would shit and weed would be rescheduled via executive order in his first term. Instead we got bozo guys going Trump, who couldn't give a shit about incarcerating tens of thousands of people for weed violations. Instead we got idiots for Hillary who takes money from the for profit prison lobby that makes bank off of incarcerating people for cannabis violations. Talk about not knowing who serves your own interests best....sheesh.

16. nippie

My point in saying that was to illustrate that marijuana is its on beast. Reclassification only helps medical and prob harms recreational.

Because if feds ever agreed that it was truly a medicine they surely would never approve of recreational use, same as feds don't approve of oxy being used for fun nor made at people's homes.

I agree with Johnson though, I just don't understand legally how he would do it...I'm being devil advocate here....because no one would ever say it's ok to abuse medication.

But on the other hand, if you fight for out right legalization you could still have medical marijuana but it would be more akin to Chinese medicine vs western