EZ Clone Low Pro White 64

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Gear' started by SuperMoChombo, Jan 25, 2017.

1. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

My Clonex gel is purple.... and 5 or so years old... Have they changed to green?

You make much bigger, woodier clones than I do.

2. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Stop useing the gel. It can cause problems, as you are finding out. Clonex make a root spray. Works great!
    IMG_5920.JPG

3. Mrgreengenes

The slime looks like a form of pythium.
    The problem with gels is it may not wash off the stem completely and can make it difficult for the cutting to absorb liquids and may promote mold or the equivalent to dampening off.

4. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

It sounds like it's all soil born, do you have soil in the room?

5. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

Old Smokey I'm not sure what brand the gel was - I can check later. I say clonex but not sure. It came with my fancy cloner.

I'm seriously thinking of just buying a new RR tray ($21) each month. Given what I paid for the cloner I could have done that for 2.5 years and broke even.

Yes MGJ that white snotty stuff is mysteriously similar in shape to the blobs of cloning gel that were on the stems. I sprayed the underside of the lid with 3%H202, stems and all, after re-cutting.

I shoot for an 8-10" cutting. I even have a little measuring device so they will all be the same size. Helps keeping the canopy even, when in flower. The stems are very woody due to old mom being mostly wood. I believe that won't stop them from rooting, but will make it tazke longer to root.

There is soil in the room. That cloner sits in what used to be a walk-in closet. Also mom is in there.

I'm going to get that clone mist now.

Do you guys mix anything in the res other than PH down and h202?

6. Mrgreengenes

I adjust ph and straight water only for the first week. I figure there wounds need to heal. When I do the water change for the clones a week later, I add 2 mill per gallon of Botanicare flowering formula. The Flowering formula used at a very week solution promote rooting.

SuperMoChombo likes this.
  7. SuperMoChombo

Thanks for the help guys. I have been getting steadily more angry as each day goes by, but it's like freak out in slow mo. Strangest experience. It's like watching your house burn down over the span of a few months. Long periods of sitting and hoping (or crying).

I feel a little better knowing I'm not alone.

8. SuperMoChombo

This is the rooting gel that come with the cloner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In da trash

9. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

I never understood using a rooting compound with those types of cloners, I'd think that the clone solution would wash off the instant you turn it on and the sprayers hit the stems. And that white fungus is coming from bacteria in your soil, my guess is it's going to keep happening until you deal with that.

SuperMoChombo likes this.
  10. SuperMoChombo

Me either. After the first time I watched the rooting powder get washed off in five minutes, I thought "why not just dump the rooting hormone powder right into the res?" So for the last few years I've used nothing. I don't know why I tried this stuff.

11. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

I only get about three good cutting rounds out of a mom before she needs to be rotated out or left to rest for a couple months. If I don't I get that weird off branching and few usable cuts. Plus my clones take longer to root and survival rates go way down if I really press the moms for cuts. Learned the hard way that super healthy mom's can make all the difference in the world.

I quit using rooting powders and gels but clone in rockwool. Haven't seen any difference either way. My thinking is anything new brings possible problems. Fewest variables possible is best imho.

12. SuperMoChombo

Mr.GJ I got the clonex spray mist. Soaked everything real good.

Res, thanks for that. I should know that by now. I wish I had begun the process of making a new mom when I first had the thought oh about two months ago. LAZY LAZY LAZY

On the plus side I do actually see some white knobs and bumps on ONE cut in the old old cloner. And the cuts in the RR tray under the dome are still nice and green after two days. I don't care. I'm counting that as success.

13. Mrgreengenes

One more thing that will help. Use straight ph adjusted water with your mother plant one week befor taking clones. No N. The cuttings will root faster.

14. ResinRubber

:blah: didn't learn that lesson because I'm so smart. Look back a year or two back when I went full time growing and there's a thread of my cloning problems after expanding garden size.

15. SuperMoChombo

Ha! I'm lucky if I remember/motivate to feed the bitch on a regular basis. I have a long way to go...

:Knock it off!:

Kidding a little. Been a long time since I flat out dried a mother plant to death. On a serious note, i will take note of that. I do alternate between feeding with nutes and plain water. I will take care to feed with water a week before taking cuts. Though I confess to actually accomplish this will require a bit of forethought. Historically hasn't been my strong suit LOL

16. SuperMoChombo

Well the failure is over. I've got a crop in, and the next rooted. I eventually got about 20 cuts to root in the EZ-Cloner, and not a single one rooted in the home made cloner.

End of a horrible saga hopefully.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

blazerwill420 likes this.
  17. ResinRubber

On to better days. Congrats on breaking the streak.

18. SuperMoChombo

To wrap up this product review - separating my own errors from issues inherent in the EZ Clone Low Pro is tough. I love to shift blame.

I am convinced that low-light conditions at the root zone are best for rooting clones, more so with some strains than others. I sure don't think it can be too dark under there. I do think it can be too light. The reason i think so is twice i have had total failure in spray cloners such as this one until I took steps to reduce the light in the res. With light comes more slime for sure. Anyway, the Low Pro is made from translucent plastic, white. Waaaaay to much light inside. Some stuff may root fine, but not all stuff. Not the strain I am growing at least.

Aside from that one critical failure, I am still enamored of the design. The puck holes in the lid have a lip to keep the puck from falling through, BUT the depression in which they sit is so deep that if you push the puck flat, the top edge disappears below the surface which makes removing them a chore. the solution the company came up with was use extra thick pucks.

They make the same model in black. I'd get that one every day.

19. SuperMoChombo

Last round I got 50% roots after three weeks. o_O

Fucking thing. All Hail Panda!

[​IMG]

ResinRubber likes this.