Senator Hatch (R-UT) MEDS Act 'it's high time'

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nippie, Sep 14, 2017.

1. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

https://www.hatch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/releases?ID=B9FCD1A1-1BA8-4E48-8AA4-A3FCA2E9D777

Hatch Introduces Medical Marijuana Research Bill

Washington, D.C.– Today, Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT) introduced the Marijuana Effective Drug Study Act of 2017, or MEDS Act, to improve the process for conducting scientific research on marijuana as a safe and effective medical treatment. In introducing this legislation, Senator Hatch was joined by Senator Schatz (D-HI) and cosponsors Senator Chris Coons (D-DE), Senator Cory Gardner (R-CO), and Senator Thom Tillis (R-NC).

“It’s high time to address research into medical marijuana,” Hatch said. “Our country has experimented with a variety of state solutions without properly delving into the weeds on the effectiveness, safety, dosing, administration, and quality of medical marijuana. All the while, the federal government strains to enforce regulations that sometimes do more harm than good. To be blunt, we need to remove the administrative barriers preventing legitimate research into medical marijuana, which is why I’ve decided to roll out the MEDS Act.”

“I urge my colleagues to join Senator Schatz and me in our joint effort to help thousands of Americans suffering from a wide-range of diseases and disorders. In a Washington at war with itself, I have high hopes that this bipartisan initiative can be a kumbaya moment for both parties.”

Senator Hatch will be speaking on the Senate floor about the MEDS Act and the potential benefits of medical marijuana today at 3:30 p.m. EDT. Follow the speech live here.

The MEDS Act will:
    • Encourage more research on the potential medical uses of marijuana by streamlining the research registration process, without imposing a scheduling determination on the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).
    • Make marijuana more available for legitimate scientific and medical research and the commercial production of any FDA-approved drugs derived from marijuana.
    • Retain important checks to protect against diversion or abuse of the controlled marijuana substances.
    • Require the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) to develop and publish recommendations for good manufacturing practices for growing and producing marijuana for research.
    • Require the Attorney General to increase the national marijuana quota in a timely manner to meet the changing medical, scientific, and industrial needs for marijuana.
    • Codify the administration’s decision to terminate the Public Health Service and its review of proposals for medical research on marijuana.Prevent the Department of Health and Human Services from instituting any other marijuana-specific protocol reviews, other than the voluntary review that a researcher can request from National Institutes of Health (NIH) in order to access the expedited DEA registration process.

Mrgreengenes likes this.
  2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Goofy as fuck. A welcome sort of goofy...but still goofy.

Just a couple examples of the goofy I'm seeing....

What's a "national marijuana quota" that's being referred to? Never heard of such a thing.
    What does it mean to "codify the administration's decision to terminate Public Health Service and it's review proposals for medical research...." AND to, "Prevent the Dept of Health and Human Services from instituting any other marijuana-specific protocol reviews...."

Methinks there's things in here we may not want and should withhold support until a better review of the bill has been made. In my experience dealing with these types of proposals on a State level, especially if it comes from a historic foe of cannabis, is that we need to check ALL the details before lending any support or approval.

3. nippie

the quota is the amount of marijuana grown by the feds for research and it's fed patients, dea tried to reduce the amount

and the reviews are what stops things like this from moving forward, basically this removes road blocks like bullshit studies from envior impact, social impact etc that would delay this from taking place for years. same as fda roadblocks on products, which marijuana soon will fall under

like it or not, republicans and trump are rescheduling marijuana, as i said months ago to combat heroin. i don't expect the rescheduling to happen until just before next presidential election cycle. this clears the way for that to happen. why anyone in their right mind wouldn't support it is beyond me. this actually bypasses the rescheduling so the studies can get done to reschedule.

i'm sure young turks or rolling stones will try to spin it as its not recreational or some other dumb shit, but hey, i'm pretty sure me and millions of others will take it. like it was stated back in Jan, trump supports medical marijuana....the previous democratic admin is what fucked everything up....i know thats hard for some to swallow

4. ResinRubber

Not saying it's a bad deal. I'll take forward movement no matter where it comes from, but the devil is always in the details and until we understand them I'll choose to remain skeptical. When a bill is authored by a politician historically against cannabis it makes sense to take second look at how exactly it will operate and why. If it's a good deal and it scopes out as a win? I'll take it and smile happily no matter who sponsors it.

That's what some of us useless intelukuall elite college types learned. Kriticul thunking ya know.

5. nippie

I for the life of me am trying to see how their could be a single negative aspect...what do you possible think thry could hide on the details?

Its federally illegal right now except for a handful of people and universities.

This bill expands that, and actually removes the ability of other gov agencies to block the implementation.

The previous admin wouldnt reschedule because there wasnt enough data, and actually made it worse by outlawing cbd....this gives the ability to get the data.

I dont understand how there could poss be a downside? Whats the feds going to make it super duper illegal at the end of the studies? Its all a scam for sessions to catch growers because hes only secretly going after cartels and international heroin trade so he can bust pot smokers in the us?

I know some feel trump is the devil and republicans hate everyone and we need dems to save us, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Trump and republicans have done more for marijuana in 8 months than obama and dems did in 8 years...even with sessions as ag....its almost like all the left media flat out lied about sessions and trump because they failed to actually read their statements or goals...because spending 2 minutes reading two pages seems to hard with pink pussy hats on

Critical thinking requires being open to hearing what all parties have to say and making informed decisions...not going with the herd, silencing others because its what the cool kids are doing

6. ResinRubber

Where did I say I'm not open to the bill? I said it could be a good thing, let's read it and understand it.

7. nippie

my apologies, i made an assumption based off previous comments that it is the default position for some, I literally said this was going to happen back in Feb and was called names for it.

same as the sessions issue, the trump admin has it's goals, most anyone can see how they will be accomplished. not a single thing leafy, hightimes, you name the organization said about sessions was remotely accurate, i haven't heard of a single medical grow shut down by sessions. correct me if i'm wrong but haven't heard of a single one.

it's just like i said over 6 months ago, all those group (eg hightimes, norml, the young turks, rollingstone) are all full of shit and most people aren't smart enough to think for themselves so they have their TV think for them, or what ever is trending is the new thing that most be changed or is to blame on why some can't win in life.....that has to be true or i have a crystal ball and can see the future.

Sessions tried to use a tool to further trumps goal as to limit the cartels finances and ability to operate to lessen the amount of heroin in this country, not go after growers, users, or patients. like i said til i was blue in the face, he actually wrote that as part of his memo. trumps spokesman stated trump supports medical marijuana from the beginning which is why this study is being done. If it weren't for the previous admin this wouldn't be needed and a roll out could have began to federally recognize marijuana as an alternative to opioids already. there is literally no one to blame but obama and democrats for that.

the biggest issue is going to be from some members of congress, some people, hell even some members here that would rather people go to prison and people die than have trump win on an issue. i'm guess it will only be a few weeks until we hear from the far leftists about how this isn't good enough, blah blah blah. didn't you know, the only reason they are fighting against heroin is because white people are dying from it, blacks still get arrested for weed. trump is a racist white devil controlled by russia

8. ResinRubber

Let's not get off on some tirade about the good things Sessions/DJT are doing for weed. This is a Senate move, not an Administration move. It took Congress to try and limit Sessions' expansion of Asset Forfeiture which puts every illegal grower at risk of losing their home to the Feds through State release of property and payback to avoid state laws prohibiting local LEO from cashing in on the practice. Nah...they been shit all for weed guys. It ain't the med and legal state guys that are in danger. It's guys like me who are in illegal states that are affected by Sessions' attempts to increase prosecution and penalties.

But Congress and the Senate? Those cats are more sensitive to voters in states and districts that are polling high for cannabis. Hatch didn't just suddenly decide weed was good. Utah voters now poll near 75% in favor of med cannabis. Incumbent Senators don't ignore polling like that and remain incumbent for long. Add in whatever tear jerking med cannabis and opiate addicted friend now saved story he pulled out of his hat and you got a ready made excuse to change position and cash in on headlines. Wise move. I'll take it. Thank you Sen. Hatch. Corey Booker (corporate piece of shit) seems to be trying to ride the same train and upping the ante btw. I don't care why. I'll take it. The pressure is working and the movement isn't coming from the White house. It's us. Everybody who answers in favor in a poll. Everybody who calls a politician's office. Everybody who testifies at state hearings. Every illegal grower who says "FUCK YOU" to state laws and risks their freedom to ply their craft keeping local tokers 'enlightened'. That's where the change is coming from. Pressure on state elected politicians who are forced into carrying our desires to Washington, not the other way around.

First blush I got only a few problems with the brief on Meds Act. First is that I can't seem to find a copy of it as proposed. Trivial, I know. Second, "terminate the Public Health Service"? Wtf? Why is that in there? Does that mean abolish the department? Don't think I like that very much at all. Third is I'd like to see the requirements for expidited research applications. Is it going to be largely limited to Pharma and mega universities, or, will smaller facilities and colleges be able to gain approval also? Like I said, devil is in the details so still skeptically optimistic.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  9. nippie

Seriously, is it you dont want to be wrong, cant apologize or do you actually believe what you just typed?

Booker, well only a fucking moron believes thats has the slightest chance of passing. First it would end medical marijuana since it would bypass having been proven GRAS and no gmps would be established , secondly the feel good erase records would effect what, 1 in a 1,000,000 because people are charged at the state level, not federal. Because its a racial thing i guess for leftists, im sure if we put up a poll 9 out 10 growers are white....actually theres a story somewhere on huff post thats says that growers such as yourself are racial oppressing blacks because the industry is dom by white males.

Dont know if you noticed but medical marijuana has been extremely popular long time, recreational is not, im sure thats why obama outlawed the research. Dont know if you noticed either but trump and the admin has prob had more briefings on opioids than most other subjects. And then you have people like me that are offering proposals in a professional manner and not looking like some idiot for other treatment options

It does come from us, but not those that call people cock suckers, traitors etc....it comes from us that present detailed information on proposals to get to goal of reducing opioid addiction, cancer treatments, etc and create guidelines for safe products in our suites and ties. and states don't matter shit to washington, not sure if you understand how our it works, states reps dont send shit to congress. this once again comes from us evil libertarians and republicans that have shown our reps what part of state programs work, and what part doesnt. because that's the basic difference between the left and the right....the left thinks washington should have all the power, the right thinks we have 50 states to experiment different ideas in and whatever is proven to work goes federal

Do you honestly think for one minute marching with a pink pussy hat on and calling people names changes how they feel?? You think for one minute that the lazy stoner image having the munchies moved the ball a single inch? People like that are why its not legal now...because thats always been the hardest part for us that have had meetings with our congressman to get past or explain. Because it will be years if not decades before its recreational on a federal level, medical is but the first step....because you have to prove its safe and have process control. The stoner image of cheech and chong is why sessions and people were against marijuana in the 80s.

I can pull the text on my phone, but it's pdf download, should be available shortly here its only about 11 pages
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1803/text?q={"search":["Hatch+Introduces+Medical+Marijuana+Research+Bill"]}&r=1

but it makes it available to anyone that meets the conditions set forth for research. they just have to have a plan written by people like me to control process and make sure it's not diverted for street use.

oddly enough Sessions will be in charge of the program

and i don't know what you are referring to about stoppign public health services, this stops agencies from stopping the research, unless you are stating some bureaucrat hold over from obama admin should be able to block the implent of this program to embarrass republicans...is that what you are arguing?? that they should be allowed to block it?

all in all, even after all this is said and done, you prob won't be able to smoke weed...but you'll be allowed concentrates and edibles...but it protects growers....because some of us traitors understand the laws and how the actual process works, not just make fucking retarded statements to appease the idiots that follow bernie sanders, or booker etc......because that shit will never be allowed. and frankly the fucking morons that want that basically want to put the little guys out of biz, because you'll never compete with big corporations ever. having medical and not recreational leaves the black market open for the small guys to be able to feed their families.

but what do i know, I'm just some traitor cocksucker that's actually getting shit accomplished....and everyone wins, even those that think negatively of me and what i represent

10. nippie

11. ResinRubber

:roflmao:

Thanks for the link btw.