cloning 101 nippie style

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by nippie, May 4, 2017.

1. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

ok, here's my run down on cloning

what you need....
    fiskars
    razor
    cloning powder (any)
    rockwool
    toothpick or something small and pointy
    constant indirect light (24/7)....a cfl will do

first step soak rockwool at 5.5 ph

next grab your mom

decide where to cut her, I always!!!! start at the top, it makes for better clones

take your rockwool out of water and give it a few good hard shakes, no squeezing, you just need to get rid of all excess water.

then take your toothpick or pointy thingy and make a hole. I never use the factory hole unless its a massive clones

once you have your cut with scissors

trim it up with a razor, and slice it at a 45 degree angle

dunk her in your rooting hormone....any will do, greenlight, hormel, anything known to man will do, my powder is prob older than most reading this. I prefer powder over gel because powder lasts way way way longer and is a fraction of the price

give her a good tap on the side of the bottle to knock off excess

place in you rockwool

continue process....notice where my next cut is, just below my original. These cuts will root and work perfectly fine, I always use main stalk before trying for little shit on the bottoms

I'll update this next week with pix of roots and more of the process

also I do have gel here and will run a side by side just to show you that it's a waste of money in my opinion.

anyways back on topic.

after you take the clones place them under light but not HPS or anything like that, it will kill the clones. A CFL will do for 20 clones or so.

I don't use a dome unless it's winter and RH is really low, your average home has plenty of humidity for cloning.

Another pro tip, don't keep them sloppy wet, you want them to dry out some. Mainly the RW not the cut, you want to mist every day, just a little, and dunk the RW in water every other or third day depending your RH. This is key in my eyes to fast rooting clones, you want the cuts to search for water, not act like a rose in the vase. Also this is very important, you cant let the RW dry out to factory condition, just ditch it if this happens because you screwed up and didn't mist or dunk it right.

any questions?

2. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

my rooting powder is from 2011. I just used the last of it on the clones in that other thread. They all ended up coming back except one after I soaked them a little. The water from the cubes had wicked into the vermiculite, you could see the wet spots. Thanks for the thread, tuned in.

3. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

Nippie, how much of a dunk do you give them? The RW I'm using is about as absorbent as a sponge and with a dunk would be as wet as when it came out of the pH'd water at the start. With a clone in the cube, wouldn't it be hard to shake out, leaving it saturated?

4. nippie

I literally just dunk it in ro. It doesn't get nearly as wet as when you soak them to condition them. Test it out for yourself with just a cube so you get the feel.

Once again, you can't let the rw dry out, but you don't want it sloppy wet either.

5. nippie

6. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

They look happy. I'll give dunking a try next time.

7. nippie

quick update.

no roots yet, id even impress myself on that.

but just to show, no laying down, no funkiness going on, just happy little clones. 1 cfl bulb is about 20 inches above em

they were dunked on Saturday and again today. Honestly haven't even misted them because i couldn't find my bottle

and how i dunk, i literally dun the plant in water (the rockwool and hold there for a second...just a second)

8. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

My tw was wilted again this morning, the water wicked into the vermiculite again. I haven't had one single issue with the candyland or sourd. I'm about ready to toss this plant!

9. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Best cloning technique, cool to see you post the thread, the old ones other members posted in other fourms that showed this technique, the pics are gone on most or all of them.
    I vote Sticky thread!

I def think the rooting powder is the way to go, the gell, unless you use the whole thing in a month, it gets like water. The powder, like You guys said, the powder will last a long time and WAY cheeper.

ResinRubber likes this.
  10. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

Great thread. thanks for posting. Sometimes you need to just see it...

11. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Stuck.

12. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Yeah sticky!!

13. GreenDepot

GreenDepot New Member

For some reason the fact that you can clone plants still amazes me. I've only ever used cloning gels tho maybe I will try a powder next time.

14. nippie

I think cloning gel is a gimic, when youre at the store spending hundreds of dollars what the extra twenty, but in reality the powder always out performs and costs a fraction

15. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Yeah, blow the gels. They can help keep clones looking good longer, but in my experience it also promotes stem rot and wilt. I lose waaaaaaay more clones using cloning gel than anything else. Best thing I've ever found is a little hygrozyme in the rockwool soak. No powder or gel.

16. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Great job nippie!

17. nippie

i will also add, never ever use dutch masters aps when cloning. tried that one time and lost every single clone, all stems turned black and rotted