LED RDWC grow

Discussion in 'LED Growing' started by toshin, Jul 9, 2017.

1. toshin

toshin Active Member

This was an analog timer, with the switch set to full on. I must have hit it when I was supposed to be changing from 18/6 to 12/12. Instead it went from 18/6 to 24/0. No harm though, just makes for bigger plants!

2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Ouch. Yeah there's that.

3. toshin

toshin Active Member

4. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Me speakith with experience. lol

5. toshin

toshin Active Member

Another week goes by, plants are looking good. In this picture I've moderately trimmed the left side plants. Most of the foliage that was shaded by the large fan leaves is lighter green/yellow. By the end of this weekend I plan to have them all trimmed down to get decent light penetration throughout. I will be removing most of the older fan leaves and any stems that being choked out. They are some pretty thick bushes at this point.

Switched to full flowering nutrients, in another week I'm hoping to see some nice flowers forming. Raised the lights up 2 more inches and only have about 2 more inches left in adjustment.

Untrimmed right side plants:

6. toshin

toshin Active Member

nippie and blazerwill420 like this.
  7. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Looks good. Lots of nodes going on,

8. toshin

toshin Active Member

Checked again briefly today, the plants had filled in the open spaces from being tied nicely. Tightened them down a bit more to get even more light exposure. Flowers are developing well, water intake and growth is increasing. RDWC is performing well, no more leaks after installing the redesigned fittings.

SuperMoChombo likes this.
  9. toshin

toshin Active Member

blazerwill420 likes this.
  10. toshin

toshin Active Member

Looking through my photos, many of the buds are slightly yellowed. I am certain this is caused by the lack of light penetration. I will be removing larger fan leaves again this weekend to ensure light penetration to the developing buds. Not going crazy with it, just enough to lighten things up.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  11. toshin

toshin Active Member

Added a new type of LED light to the mix. Large COB grow LED, 50W single chip. As I've tied the plants down a little, it is pulling some out of the light zone. The new light helps fill in. It also is interesting that it is a cooler running LED. It has no fans on it just stamped metal mounting plate. I don't have any measurements but judging by how it looks in comparison to my existing lights, it definitely puts out a lot of light. I've also bought some other LED chips to add heatsinks to and test.

Today I also took clones from the mother plant that has been kept in veg. I can reliably clone small cuttings and wanted to experiment a bit on this end of things. I did some cuttings at different sizes this time so we will see how things go. I'm setting up some space where I can get some seeds I have started as well.

12. toshin

toshin Active Member

Everyone loves a good picture update. Pictures of the new light, and some good development.

New light. Works well so far for the size:

Buds going on all over the place:

Thats a lot of trich development there:

Far back comparison shot:

13. toshin

toshin Active Member

14. toshin

toshin Active Member

15. toshin

toshin Active Member

October already! I've started flushing with first by running some "Sledgehammer" through the system. After I flushed that out, I did one final dose of the tiger bloom. From here on out I am just adding water and adjusting PH.

The plants seemed to like the flush. They started taking up water pretty quickly afterwards. These colas just keep getting bigger. Today I ran into a large issue. The plants had all fallen over from the new water weight. The RDWC kept a high water level in the buckets, the roots had no reason to grow deep so they didn't. Another factor is that the floor is not perfectly level here, they all fell "downhill". It wasn't severe and they got tied back up in place. They are smelling pretty amazing at this point.

16. toshin

toshin Active Member

So yesterday I checked things and found them all falling over again. One stem that I had supported collapsed and started to fall. The colas are getting too heavy for the branches. The accidental extra veg time made them grow too tall. Big heavy colas up top, popcorn buds all the way down.

No new pictures, I spent all my time screwing eye hooks into the wall and supporting all the colas up higher. Time to bring out the nice camera and get some close trichome shots to see how close things are to harvest time. Indica dominant hybrid, I'm going for 50/50 amber/cloudy if I can.

17. toshin

toshin Active Member

OldSmokey and bigbudztoo like this.
  18. toshin

toshin Active Member

Things are going to get cut soon. Lost a cola to the wonderful mold problem. It's been cold again and I had forgot to turn the fans back on.

Thankfully everything is very close to being done, everything else is healthy. In the next day or two I'll be cutting things up and finding a better place to hang things up for a while.

Next grow I am going to switch things up. Bigger and better clones etc.

19. toshin

toshin Active Member

Weather has saved things. The last couple days have been stupidly hot for october which raised the room temps and killed the humidity. One more cola showed signs of mold and got removed. Humidity in the room is down to 30%. I've got a heater to put in for the winter to keep the temps higher to prevent this. Watching things closely as trichomes are now about 50/50 clear/cloudy. Physically it is difficult for me to harvest, so I am trying to get this to last until Friday when I have someone to help me. In between seeing a neurosurgeon to see if surgery is something that can fix things...

20. toshin

toshin Active Member