50 amp sub panel

Discussion in 'DIY' started by blah blah boy, Nov 16, 2010.

1. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Good Job! It's cool to get the electrical all customized to your specifications. One of the most important parts of setting up your grow. :good job:

2. blah blah boy

blah blah boy Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Thanks to you it got done. :alienwink:

3. blah blah boy

One more picture of it up and running with the 1000w Lumatec mounted. Plans are for one more 1000watter.

6 plants 2000watts aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what will I get? :alienwink:

[​IMG]

4. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

I was wondering the other day how this turned out... Good job B.B. Boy glad to see you were not intimidated by the magic of electricity...Steelcity

5. Chronic Don

Chronic Don Daddy of RP & GG

so did you figure out what to do with the white wire?

its your ground, it needs to hook to your bar the bare wire is a ground too but more so as box ground, not power ground. the bare wire should come with the red,black and white from your house panel screwed to the main box itself and in the sub panel to the box itself, the white goes to the ground bar, the red and black to the breaker bar and so forth with the wires from the timer(but to the breaker itself) and sub plugs. If it works ok, but get the electrician you talked to about it to check it out, a house fire caused by an improper wiring job in a grow room with nullify any insurance (any excuse to cancel on you) and if someone dies you could be charged with manslaughter or murder even.

6. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

The white is a common for 120V circuits. Not a ground. With 120V you have a Hot, a common, and a ground. With 240V you have 2 hot (both 120V) and one ground. The common hooks to the common bar not the ground bar.

7. Chronic Don

power ground = common tomato=tomatoe

bare ground does NOT hook to the "common" bar

or didnt when I did house wiring

but yes I could have picked proper terms

8. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

bare ground doesn't hook to the grounding bar?

HHmm common? like common ground or neutral. 120 uses a different concept. But in easy terms to understand ground is ground but never connect neutral to ground anywhere but the box. 120 uses the neutral to discharge 220 uses 2 hots no real discharge if you just had 2 wires at a 220 device as long as they are from separate circuits carrying 110 each hot the device will work.

But if the device has a problem and shorts the wire will have to melt to trip the circuit breaker. But if there is a quick path to ground via a 3rd conductor when the problem arises the machine will short to this ground which can discharge back to safety/chassis ground.

In a 120 system if there is no neutral or common ground at the device it will not work lacking a way back to ground to complete the circuit. The bare acts as safety ground on 120 as well same idea as 220.But if the neutral fails the safety kicks in... Steelcity

rasganjah likes this.
  9. Chronic Don

Thanks Steel for setting it right

Sorry I have wrong names for what I was trying to say, you have given them to me now.

In the sub box the white or neutral is what should hook into the common bar above the breakers(my ground bar)?

he has the bare ground in that. (3rd pic post 19) the bare wire should be hooked under a screw to the body of the sub panel box I do believe?

in the timer he has the bare ground hooked to the green ground screw which is right, but should be on a pigtail so the bare grounds from his plug ins hook to it as well.?

From the looks the white/neutral at the timer would hook to that lower left screw, which should be detailed on that diagram on the timer door. Without the white hooked up it has no neutral or "ground" beside the bare wire which is as you say "the safety" a backup not the main one.

I agree that 220 has no neutral like a 120 it has the red and black both giving 110 and a ground which is the white. the bare wire acts as an appliance ground, from the body of the "unit" to the body of the panel. Or have I hooked up a bunch of stoves and dryers wrong in yrs past?

I just see it not looking right and wanted to be sure he had it checked out so he didnt burn down his house. It wasnt meant to create a discussion on wiring

10. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I'm not an electrician, but I did work alongside one to install all my electrical. I have only a basic working knowledge of electrical systems and would never try to do any electrical jobs for anyone else. I think I feel comfortable with my understanding of my setup.

My main breaker panel.

[​IMG]

My sub panel.

[​IMG]

I'm glad steel city came in and cleared up the terminology and gave a good explanation of the differences between 120V and 240V:thumbs-up:

11. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

goddamn! and i thought an aerocloner was a complicated build!

12. blah blah boy

It's not complicated now :thumbs-up:

I love having the panel. And it didn't sink me all that much.

I also connected the 5 other 120v circuits off my main panel so I am in biz and going to town on growing.

I need a humidifier in my room: it is 34%RH and with the heater it is about 74-78F.

Well on my way.