660W LED 4x4 (DIY 6-CXA & A51 XGS-190, RW-150)

Discussion in 'LED Growing' started by skunky, Oct 29, 2014.

1. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

So cut down the dab 2 finally. Just started trimming and had to take a picture to share. Never really chunked out.... LOL Ok... it did but the calyxes didn't really swell as much as I expected. Didn't trim the plant at all just let it go and it's basically nothing but bud surprisingly. I think had I trimmed it more density would have been too much to ward off bud rot. Little space is still chugging along for those curious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Looks mighty tasty Skunky

3. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Oh yes!:thumbsup:

4. DXE

DXE Moderator

Really nice

Who needs those big glass bulbs anyway

5. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

My 7 foot Monsters really love the glass bulbs.

6. skunky

All I know is my defiant 3-4' young adults and the couple of 2' midgets love it each cycle. Think I'm about to just build a larger shed and move everything into it with a minisplit . Anyways though so I'm about to leave for Cabo for 2 weeks so thinning out the room. Got about 7 more plants going still, got what should be about 5-6oz hanging and letting the mom room establish a little more. Going to do better about keeping a dedicated mom instead of cycling soo much. Oh and friend of my son's mother was had some cancer complications so I made her some oil doing ethanol extractions. Did a couple different things. Made her some oil that i loaded in syringes, made me some more ecig oil which did percipitate out a little this time though I'm pretty sure I know why that was, and also vacuum purged and further dried for some concentrate loading. Did that extract with just cold ethanol a veggie strainer and a dish. If I could have made a rig or devised another way to keep temps down lower I could have improved the quality. But after all that i made here 4 1g/mL syringes, about 10mL of ecig oil and 8g of QWEtOH(basically a more contaminated with chlorophyll and sugars version of shatter). Hard to get good pics. Looks dark because it thick but it's still pretty amber. Though the chlorophyll that made it in was darkened it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2015
  7. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Nice DIY LED.

Been considering trying an LED myself. Heard anything about LUSH or Blackdog LED's?

8. skunky

Thank ya sir. Yes i have heard of the lush and blackdog lights. I would say buyer beware. Those are just run of the mill mass produced lights out of china that use generic leds. Same thing as the apollo and mars II series that can be bought for much cheaper. They have reliability and longevity issues. If you are going to go LED the price isn't cheap whether you get quality or crap. If you want a balance of quality and price I would suggest either DIY, Area 51 or Rapid LEDs Onyx. DIY is the best bang for your buck. But if you just don't want to do that much research or work then A51 or rapid. Both use CREE leds, though A51 uses XTE and XPE diodes and Rapid XLM2. A51 is about to start working on some Vero 29 COB units similar to the CREE CXA COBs in the DIY but a real bridgelux version that has proven to great. Some other good companies more reputable for good products but definitely not cheaper than the others already mentioned. Apache Tech, California light works, and Lumigrow. apache uses nichia LEDs, California recently switched to Osram, and Lumi I believe is using Osram and Phillips. There is also another company making some pretty nice Vero 29 units for a decent price called Optics. You could build the same thing for a bit cheaper but if you don't want the headache that would be another good option. The 350W and 500W lights are the best options for those.

http://opticgrowlights.com/500-watt-vero-led-grow-light.html

Though for the lack of knowing anything about that company I would probably just build the same light for less. You now what the driving current is and heatsinks aren't hard to source out. Casing would be about the toughest thing to sort out.

9. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

We can get Lumigrow and California Lightworks where I work. The issue I have with them is that they have not been tested and designed to grow cannabis whereas the Lush and Black Dog's have been specifically tailored for growing Cannabis. Lush offers a money back guarantee and has a good warranty. I know less about the Black Dog's. Only that they have slightly higher wattage than most of the High end LED's using some 5 watt diodes where most use only 3's

10. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

11. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I use Lumigrow and have great results. I won't begin to say they're better than the Area 51 or Rapid's Onyx because all 3 have proven track records here on GK. But I think Skunky will agree that all the production LEDs actually produce less wattage than they advertise. Usually more hype and promises equals less bang for the buck.

Be Cool, CG

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2015
  12. skunky

Hey guys. Figured I could do a little update. Sorry I don't update as much as I used to. Just too busy lately. So right now things are pretty much just taking off. Last plant from last round is about to come down, sour diesel. There are a couple bud pics. Some other plants about 3 weeks in, some 1 week in, then some baby clones I just put in to take up space. My vacation kind put things off schedule especially with shit weather preventing my mom from coming to take care of them while I was gone... So for a week they got absolutely nothing... SMFH. Anyways. So going to try something a little different and angle my COB light towards the A51's. That's what you see on the voltmeter are mV being read through the apogee SQ-120. The conversion factor on it is 5, so whatever you see in mV multiply by 5 and that's the PAR reading. So I measured at the little clones as you can see, just below the top node on one of the week old plants under the COBs. I thought I got two more pics under the cobs, it ranges from 135-175 in most spots. Then the 183mV or 915umol is between the COBs and A51 lights, the 200 reeadings is center under the RW and the 192 under the XGS. The scraggly plant is a headband i'm revegging because that mom died during that week of vacation. Then somthing I found. Never been so happy to find something that resembles a large glass dildo before. LMAO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Humming along beautifully skunky. What's the sq/ft coverage of that set?

14. skunky

Thanks, but I think you're just being nice. LOL trying to get it back in order. Right now it's roughly 650W covering 16sq/ft. Just a cheap 4x4 light house hydro tent.

15. skunky

Or you talking about the DIY cob light only? If that one should 12 sq/ft pretty good. I have had it basically covering 8. So was thinking tilt the light a little to get more light on the more developed plants since the new ones don't need it as much at first. Start at front then move back.

16. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

what are you measuring?

I want to find a light meter to check these new leds I got vs HPS but i haven't a clue what I am looking for

17. skunky

Photon flux density.

18. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Got it. Was wondering about the entire set. :redbong:

19. skunky

10 Days Later.... Not quite a zombie infestation that suddenly disappears but the girls are spreading their legs and ready to start showing their flowers. LOL

About to load up a dab from the fresh batch of BHO from the first recommissioned run out of the glass column. Just used some cheap powers 5x to see how that worked. Colbri is probably still a little better, judging by mirror test and final product. But probably not noticeable to most. Purged on top and unpurged on bottom. Purged is hard to get pics of with this camera. Too glass like I guess and blends with the parchment paper. Tried multiple times...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Monster bud there! Got to let us know the weight dry on that one, I would take a guess at 4 oz dry? We should have a contest. Winner gets the bud, :roflmao:

Ok, question....i noticed your area 51 lights in a couple pics are a good distance from the plants, with no light meter for me, i use the 18-24" top of canvas rule of thumb and working great for flower. So my question, with your light meter, what readings are you getting past the 18-24" rule? At what distance?

I have been noticing on my plants, normally smaller buds that are way lower than the 18-24" area get decent size. I need to get a meter.