A question about potassium

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by ResinRubber, Oct 25, 2015.

1. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Been pondering a bit and it would behoove my thoughts greatly to hear from a variety of growers. Wondering about the use high K flower ferts and how it may have an effect on the necessity of cal/mag in mid flower?

So the question is; Do you use a flowering specific fertilizer or fertilizer regimen? A brief description would be nice.:thumbs-up:

As a follow up; Do you experience fairly regular cal/mag deficiencies? At what general point in the plant cycle? How do you treat this deficiency?

much thanks GKers. cheers,

2. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Well cant too much K lock out Ca? I use flower specific nutes. A combo of House and Garden bud XL, top booster snd CANNAs Boost. Seeing im using LEDs ive noticed Ca/Mg is needed in first three weeks

3. ResinRubber

That's the idea. Ideal is a ratio in the range of 10:1. Above 20:1 is where problems can occur.

Just trying to get some outside handle on timing and deficiency occurrence since Ca and Mg uptake are at similar points in availability to the plant vs K ratio. Being in an illicit environment I don't have the freedom to compare notes anyplace else.

:passsit:

thnx for the input amigo.

4. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Anytime buddy

5. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

0-8-16 or 0-5-10

General hydro. I always supplement cal mag from veg thru flower. Sometimes even 5 mls isn't enough and get some signs of it. Some signs usually show at about 3 weeks and then again after booster is uses

I do think moab caused an extreme lock out a couple grows ago. I don't know if they changed their formula or what, but used it like I used to and instant problem that actually held thru chop

6. ResinRubber

much appreciated Nip

7. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

should add i supplement with liquid Koolbloom (it's 0-10-10) used at 5 mls starting week 2 of flower.

Not sure if that would be related to a week 3 of appearance of slight signs.

I did bump up to 6.5 mls of cal mag and all new growth shows no signs and nothing worsened on the previously effected leaves

8. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Not wanting to shoot myself in the foot here but Ive stopped using potassium bicarbonate for ph up (actually stopped adjusting ph at all) and the girls at 5 weeks are looking better than ever. Cal-mag issues have plagued me for as I can remember so I'm keeping a close eye on them but for now they're looking great. I still use cal-mag but just not as often.

It's also very strain defendant, Dabney and JBxko lush are both fickle whereas confidential cheese, lemonberry & Girl Scout cookie never miss a beat. Maybe I'd better find some fucking wood to knock on huh. Lol

9. DXE

DXE Moderator

Well - I have had real good luck - very few signs of cal/mag deficiencies doing the following

Basic soil mix a bunch of folks use (prom mix, pettlized lime, bone meal blood meal, mykos, kelp meal and liquid fish.

I feed in veg Drammitc O veg formula every third watering.

In flower I dont feed for first two weeks, then start cal/mag and a carb load (dextrose/glucose) every watering. At 3 weeks I add in Drammitik K flower formula every second or third watering (strain dependant). I do this up to the last two weeks, then just carb load and water till last week - then just water.

I cant complain about the yields - getting close to 2 pounds from 8 plant runs. Running CO2 and as you know all LED (Rapid Indus bars).

Not sure I want to tinker much - doubled the lime in the soil - I like the slow release pelletized stuff. I just started adding liquid kelp to the dirt to feed the mycro shit growing in the soil. Other than that been pretty consistent.

HTH

10. ResinRubber

All great info. Thank you guys so much, it definitely adds to mapping the intro of K and ensuing use of cal/mag. Really appreciate the accurate dosages. More experience is better so don't hesitate to add insights or more gardens.