about to make the switch

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by Grown in Tx., May 30, 2015.

1. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

I've been listening to Danko question all the top growers and breeders for a while now. All the "big boys" use dirt for their personal. Hydro gives you bigger, faster buds but, dirt is supposed to give you tighter, tastier and more aromatic buds. I started growing with hydro but i can't seem to get those tight dense buds i like. It's been about 7 years now and I've tried about everything so I'm gonna take the next step and see how that goes.

2. Grown in Tx.

about to make the switch

I've been listening to Danko question all the top growers and breeders for a while now. All the "big boys" use dirt for their personal. Hydro gives you bigger, faster buds but, dirt is supposed to give you tighter, tastier and more aromatic buds. I started growing with hydro but i can't seem to get those tight dense buds i like. It's been about 7 years now and I've tried about everything so I'm gonna take the next step and see how that goes.

3. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

Welcome to the club. What type of soil are you intending to use ? Personally, I have had great results using the Pro mix BX. It comes with the beneficial fungi and perlite already added. I also add some Cal-Mag plus to my nutes and have had good results. If you intend to mix up your own organic mix, Res has a great recipe for that. Your nutes will extend a hell of a lot further as well since you won't be replenishing the res on a weekly basis.

Looking forward to watching your grows.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

BBT

4. Grown in Tx.

I hadn't started researching all that yet, i just made up my mind this morning after looking at my plants that are drying. probobly 2oz off 4 plants. The best i got was growing monsters in tubs, i just built these tables last year so it kinda sucks but i cannot get the results i want from anything I've tried out there, even the monster plants buds were on the loose side. I've got a couple friends that know some growers that use soil and they get the results I'm looking for.

Like I've said, I'm not trying to supply S.E Texas i just want some excellent bud to smoke and share with a few folks.

5. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

also with soil you will need to keep a broom or vacuum handy....:thumbsup:

Really with soil, its not a major extra work unless you got a bunch of plants, then your back will feel it.

Oh and go with 5 gallon buckets for flower if you got room, give some say 6-7week strains a extra week and POW! They will fatten up nice.

6. Annunaki

Annunaki Developed Alternating Nodes

I have a few going . Same boat as you always done hydro , just made a switch because it's only a few and for personal . I will say the girls are green and healthy, but the growth rate is slooooooooow.

7. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

:thumbsup: plenty of room on this lonely old bandwagon.

Methinks it may have more to do with ease of garden. If you're growing small numbers of many different strains at the same time (which is what I'd expect of a professional's private garden), hydro is a pain in the ass. If you want to do six of this strain and a half dozen of another, plus three or four others you're trying out, tables and hydro feeding schedules are a hindrance. Especially for tester strains with unknown flower times.

+ on the extra week flowering. It'll make a difference. Innoculate your soil with mycc, even if it says it's already in the bag, and that slow growth rate will fade away. Xtreme Mykos is the best and possibly cheapest.

Indoors, unless you're growing trees, 2-3 gallon pots are plenty if you transplant after a 4-6 week veg schedule.

8. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

I still prefer Organic buds as my regular smoke. I've only recently been doing hydro, to do a test run for CYCO Nutrients.

ROLS Super Soil is how I get down now. It's a little bit of everything that's been amended in over a couple years. Plants go nuts!

9. ResinRubber

oops. Forgot to mention I merged your threads GIT. Hope you don't mind.

10. DXE

DXE Moderator

Go dirt!!!

11. Grown in Tx.

I've got about 3 weeks before i put anything into the flower room. I don't even have any clones right now, just 5 mom's chillin in the veg room. It's gonna be 5gl buckets since i still have all the hempy buckets. Man, 8 years ago hempy was the shit.

Res, it might be my hangover this morning, but I'm not sure what that means. I'll figure it out I'm sure.

12. blazerwill420

blazerwill420 Fuck AUMA

I started in soil, went to hempy, then tables, now I'm back in soil. i make a modified version of tga supersoil. Sweet success.

13. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

every time I mess with dirt i have issues. to many bugs in that stuff imho

if it works for you do it to it. I may run some organic one day, honestly though i don't think there's a difference.

As far as you organic guys, does store bought dirt count as organic in your eyes? Do they sterilize it and if so does it count still as organic?

14. JuggaloKing420

JuggaloKing420 Just clownin around

My most recent bug issue came in with a bag of dirt. IMO, if you're going to go with dirt, Roots 707 is the way to go.

15. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I haven't fired any of my tables back up this spring. Everything is in dirt, but not really organic. Like BBtoo I have always used ProMix but still use the Dutch Master with cal-mag + bud candy + big bud. It just makes it simpler for me and get good results. And the buffers in the ProMix reduce the Ph issues I often had in the tables.

Though I really should give organic a try for the experience, I'm way too busy playing golf these days to fuck with precision.:roffl: The simpler the better!!

Be Cool, CG

16. ResinRubber

OMRI certified is a good start. :bong2:

Bugs is bugs. Seen them on this site in every type of garden, hydro and dirt alike. About once a year or so I'll battle either gnats or spider mites for a few weeks and I been doing soil for years. Deal with-em and move on. You lower your risk by using only high quality soil that has been stored properly.

17. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

^^^^^

Def use good or fresh dirt, dont use some dirt that has been in your garage or shed just to use it. When I had extra dirt that I bought, if I was not going to use it soon, I would just fill some holes in the yard or something. Old dirt is bad dirt in most cases. Bugs, mold, all sorts of bad stuff will get in there.

Oh and on the 5 gallon buckets, yes 3 gallon is good for reg plants, but when you go to flower a good sized mother plant, the 5 gallon is best In my experience. Those mothers will root out big time, when you chop those you will see.

18. DXE

DXE Moderator

I only use pro-mix mixed with bone meal, blood meal, Epsom salt , dolomite lime and a slurry of Alaska fish fertilizer. I also add a bag of mykos to the mix.

I have been mixing in about 1/3 recycled dir from previous harvests, I usually mix the recycled stuff with peat moss and let it sit a month in a bin before using it

Only bug issue I have are occasional gnats and gnat sticks - sticky traps - have worked best for me

As for pots I don't like 5 gallon buckets - they don't drain well - I use three gallon soft pots for flower and one gallon soft pots for veg

19. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

I guess my thing is when you go to store you can buy Fox Farms or 'Joes Backyard Soil'....but both are sitting next to one another. Whatever FF did for quality control was ruined by store placing Joes right next to it.

Last time I did soil I get gnats, gnats everywhere. Literally seemed like over night explosion (prob about a week though). Go gnats cleaned it all up, but the better half said never again is soil allowed indoors

20. DXE

DXE Moderator

I gotta have dirt under the finger nails......

Seriously though, the gnats are easily dealt with.