air pump questions for DWC res

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by Justcheckingitout, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Is there a suggested range of air flo (or pump sizes?) for different res sizes? Like is some bubbles to small or too much? I ran a way smaller pump on a tote and It seems to do just fine in veg, not sure if I really need a bigger pump for flower??

I know I am probably going to get another bigger pump but figured I would ask.

2. nappyhawk

nappyhawk New Sprout

Bigger is better? Pump wise. Smaller bubbles bursting at the surface dissolves oxygen better. My opinion based on aquariums.

3. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

Agreed. the more the better.

4. toshin

toshin Active Member

I run up to 6 buckets on a 1030GPH pump. One for my veg room, one for my flower room. Seems like more than enough. The bigger the pump, the louder it is, I've got mine on several foam pads to keep the noise down.

SuperMoChombo likes this.
  5. SuperMoChombo

SuperMoChombo Well-Known Member

Air pumps are the worse kind of loud. Low hum. I had to build a sound proof box in which to put my pumps when stealth was an issue. Now I don't bother with air pumps at all.

ResinRubber likes this.
  6. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

The bigger the pump, the louder it is. Kind of. Want quiet? Get a linear air compressor. 200 bucks buys lots of quiet and LOTS of air flow. Not cheap, but very worth it to me.

My old GH air pump was very audible (and annoying!) over both the AC and the dehumidifier. Now, the bubbles in the tank make way more noise than the air pump.

ResinRubber and SuperMoChombo like this.