Alaskan Crab Fishing

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by nuggnester, May 16, 2013.

1. nuggnester

nuggnester Pot & Poker Enthusiast

So...I have been thinking about this for a long time. I am giving serious thought to going alaskan King and Opeleo crab fishing. I am in the proces of getting my pilots license...and I would make a badass cross country vaca-trip and park er' in Seattle. Take a few planes from there to Dutch Harbor Alaska. I have many qualities that I feel a Captain would be interested in for their greenhorn...

-Leadership Qualities

-Passion

-Responsible (successful restaurant owner at 26.)

-exceptional knife skills (baiting...something a greenhorn will do lots of )

-ability to learn on the spot

-positive attitude

-"team" concept guy

-great cook. Everyone has to eat right? Why not eat WELL. I would make those hard-asses the best food they have ever eaten on a boating trip.

-non drinker/non smoker/non drug user (on a boat)

-big fucking guy. I'm like a tree trunk. I will not wear down like other greenhorns do

I would not choose any boat. I want to be on one of the BEST as I think I can be one of the better greenhorns the boat has ever had, under the right circumstances.

You guys see some of these idiots they have at greenhorns? Guys cant tell their foot from their ass?!

I'd like to know what you all think about this. Am I Naieve? A fool? Admirable for trying to accomplish what might seem ludicrous?

This is not a career path...just a life experience. I intent to knock it out of the park and have open invitations to come back whenever. Pretty good spot to be in if you need some money if ya ask me. I understand the risks both monetarily and physically but it's still something that would make me a better man.

Set goals and achieve them. I think I can really enrich my life with an experience like this. I have a family friend who did it for one year so talking with him has been invaluable. I give it four years and I may just be on a boat in Alaska. That's the truth

2. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Good luck on that. It's not only one of the most dangerous jobs on the planet but also one of the most physically and mentally demanding. Those guys work some super long hours with very little rest or refueling and under some of the worst weather conditions on the planet. I wish you luck for sure. I know I couldn't hack it, even if I was able to go back to my prime.

3. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

You only live once man. Go for your dreams and fuck everything else.