AlienBait goes Ghetto

Discussion in 'The Growkind Gallery' started by AlienBait, May 31, 2010.

1. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

It's been a long while since I posted a grow thread, but I thought this would be a fun little grow to document.

In another thread EvilSkuzzi said that one could grow in a cardboard box with CFLs and get decent bud (though not very much). I agreed with him at the time, but as I thought about it, I thought perhaps I was a bit premature (not the first time... :roffl: ). So, with that in mind, I thought it would be interesting (to me anyway) to grow something going as cheap as possible and see what happens (perhaps to MrAstro's horror :roffl: ).

One of the parameters is that I cannot purchase anything. Everything used must be things that can be found in and around an average home. Later in the grow that may change if I have to buy fertilizer and if I do have to buy something, it must be the cheapest available.

With that said, here is what I put together:

The pot is a half of a 2-liter soda bottle wrapped in duct tape to block out any light that might reach the roots. The soil is just some dirt that I dug out of a field near my home.:
    [​IMG]

The grow box is a cardboard box with a hole cut in the top for the light:
    [​IMG]

I also cut some vent holes in the top to let out the hot air. and holes around the bottom to let in the cooler air. No fans at this point, just convection. This may change if it gets too hot. I'll worry about that later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is what it looks like now:
    [​IMG]

With the light on:
    [​IMG]

At this point there is no light trap because I am just vegging. When flowering time comes, I'll come up with something to block out the light.

From the inside:
    [​IMG]

The light is a 28 watt CFL. I know it's not very much, but remember, I'm growing like a noob for this one.

The seeds are Malawi Gold S3's that I made a couple years ago. I used seeds from the same batch when I did my "Reverse" experiment. I planted 4 seeds in case some don't sprout from being so old. Once I have a sprout, I'll pull the rest.

I'll update this thread as stuff happens.

2. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

"perhaps to MrAstro's horror"

I damn near spit my Coke Zero out! As I was reading down, I'm thinking (in my best Brian Johnson voice)... FIRE!!! The that comment! :lmao:

Leave it to you to run The Experiment :thumbs-up:

Be sure to keep hydrated :pissing:

(btw: do you still have those videos on myspace? I haven't watched them in awhile. You should post them)

3. AlienBait

Ha Ha Ha! Perhaps peeing on plants will be a future experiment.

I closed my "Myspace" page, sorry. I was reading that the FBI was going to start monitoring Myspace and Facebook, so in my ever fearful mind, I thought it was best to delete my account.

4. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

I rarely go on (just to race), but I have nothing MJ related on there or facebook. Too easy to access by anybody and not professionally wise.

I'd just enjoy watching them. Damn.

5. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

LOL i wanna see this...

6. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

wait what about the tin foil sides?

7. AlienBait

LOL! Good idea! I'll put in some foil when I have some sprouts.

AND, here is a quick update. The light has been on for about an hour and a half and the temp in the box is only 3 degrees warmer than the surrounding area.

[​IMG]

8. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

hell yeah, but dont u think theres gonna be a small hight problem?

9. AlienBait

Maybe. But there are ways to remedy that. I could LST or just duct-tape this box on top of another box. :potleaf-3:

10. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Thats what i was thinkin. This is kinda cool man, n y not just use plain water? there is gotta be a way to get nutes from around the house instead of buyin MG or some nock off brand.

11. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Thats what i was thinkin. This is kinda cool man, n y not just use plain water? there is gotta be a way to get nutes from around the house instead of buyin MG or some nock off brand.

12. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

this ones gonna be cool. Will be interesting to say the least.

:beerchug-2:

Teamster6

13. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

Ab I want to see you pull one of these out from under that box-Bud

[​IMG]

P.S. I'll be watching good luck

14. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

LOL that would be the shit!!!

15. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Looks interesting.

:popcorn-2: :popcorn-2: :popcorn-2: :popcorn-2: :popcorn-2: :popcorn-2: :popcorn-2:

16. AlienBait

LOL! I'll need a bigger box....

17. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Stack ducktape, stack ducktape, stack ducktape...... LOL

18. spinkler

spinkler Game On!

AWESOME experiment AB! I'm tuned in and eagerly waiting to see what happens! :popcorn-2:

:roffl::roffl::roffl:

19. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Crackpot stoners! :roffl: :roffl: I'll be checking bcak in to see what happens with this. :popcorn-2:

20. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

sweet idea ab!!!

pullin up the comfy chair for this one! :popcorn-2: :popcorn-2: :popcorn-2:

Peace

-LM