.America

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Randy High, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Randy High

Randy High Organic Alumni

What do you see as the true America (USA) ?

I'll add mine late.

r

2. Fretgod

Fretgod Excommunicated

America, where your rights are infringed apon slightly less than other places.

3. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

Hmmm ... the TRUE USA? IMO a 'country founded on PROMISE and high PRINCIPLES'

Im not quite sure what you mean Randy,i wish you had elaborated more or posted some examples of the type of response you want but here goes...[/URL]

[​IMG] My definition of the 'true america' is a few things,namely 'a country of promise'...'a place where the american dream can come true' and IMO the true USA is 'the nation that was founded on higher principles of liberty ,religion and govt for the ppl than any other nation on earth' but sadly modern administrations have slowly but surely taken away the 'promise' of the constitution and bill of rights,etc. The true USA is a place where you can immegarte to and arrive with a few hundred bucks in yer pocket and if yer willing to work hard you can achieve great things,the american dream may not be what it used to be or mean what it used to mean to foreigners or even americans but i believe there still is such a thing as the american dream.

[​IMG]A lot is said in this forum about the govt and the things they do like P.A.T.R.I.O.T Act and things they dont do like trying to end :potleaf: prohibtion,but thats not a reflection on the vast majority of the american ppl. Theres this misconception inside America that foreigners dont like America and they are hated round the world but i dont find this to be true,theres a difference between hating on an administration that even the american ppl hate on but speaking for ppl from the UK at least,we dig america and are alwasy happy to stand by americas side in battle,just as long as the battle is just though!

Im not sure if im 'getting' what you really mean Randy so i'll wait and see what kind of reply you post to give me a better idea and i'll maybe post another reply.

"The TRUE USA is a nation of many, a melting pot of nationalities, it is nations within nations, it is historically important and it is a nation that is sooo relevant to todays world,it is a nation that leads the 'free world'" Like i said at the start to me it is 'a nation of promise' which means many things...

...sadly though some administrations use it to MISLEAD the free world:disgust: but America stand for so much and sometimes i think that maybe some of my posts can come across sounding like a foreigner hating on america but really i love america and iv said it before,id sooner the UK was the 51st state than be part of this damn European Union which is just a 'wannabe' United States of Europe:rolleyes::5sigh:

4. "The Master"

"The Master" Time Lord

ahhhhhhhhh. This topic saddens me, buddy. :qbluewacko: I was born in 66. I grew up with the moon landings and all of that. I'm jaded, and stuff.

America USED to be a place where you could make a dream come to fruition. Wether it be make a perfect ice cream treat, or build a PC.

America USED to be the place, where we would RUN to the aid of those being oppresed, and push the perpetrator back into its hole. A nation that spat in the bullies eye. We stood up against the bigger thug, and stared it down.

America USED to be the place, where we valued fair play, and always desired to export that to other places, with our friends.

America USED to be the place, where young men would make haste to the recruiting station, to raise their right hand, to wear my countries uniform with pride, to stand next to his countrymen, instead of ducking out, and letting another stand in his place.

America USED to be the place, where people would take pride in their homes, even if simple and plain, and keep the yard and such tidy. Folk's now are too busy watching tv to clean up the yard and stuff.

America USED to be the place, where the minority, on ANY issue, was treated with dignity and respect, no matter WHAT the issue. If one is to go against the mob at any given event? your safety will not be promised.

America USED to be the place, wher it wasn't a crime to be religious no matter how meek. It USED to be looked at as worthy to be reverent.

America will be something else soon if this is not turned around. Some of you may well sat, that the above isn't how you feel, and that is OK, but just remember, its where you get the freedom to even SAY how you feel.

I miss my country.

5. Dazechain

Dazechain Cured Fat Sticky Bud

...my country 'tis of thee...

...and I will sing like a canary in a coalmine if I have to...to get my message across...loud and clear...

...my message...if you want to be free...you got to act like it...think like it...and work for it...you can't sit at the sidelines cheerin' on the hometown hero...everyone must be involved...everyone...everyone...everyone...I did not stutter...I reiterate for maximum impact...it's time we the people act like we care watt the hell is being done in our names...and it's not all 'bout government control...it's about stoppin' the violence right here at home...it's taking the time to give a shit...it's time to turn this boat around...before we don't have the option...

...I could ramble on 'bout this 'til I was blue in the face...not today...to much work at hand...limit'd doses of rant while there is work to do...

...who are we?...

...who are you?...

...DC...:XXsunsmile::new_scatter:

Mermaid likes this.
  6. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

Master....your post rings true and is sad as America is not what it once was. I too was born in the mid 60's and growing up then was so different to how things are now. I wish my daughters knew the love for country and pride I had when I was a child and teen and just the simple things in life that all made sense. I loved my childhood and even though we weren't rich, we had a house and omg my childhood was so much fun I had NO idea we didn't have loads of money and do not think many kids did. Riding my bike and playing was all I cared about. I grew up with much love and morals but most of all that money does not always buy happiness and that it comes from within. I had a dad who yes expected all A's from me in school plus I worked after school and now looking back I am glad he taught me things do not come to you for free. I raise my children the same but the difference now is I do not let them roam the streets as it really is not safe out there for a young girl. When I was a kid ....I was outside ALL DAY and put so many miles on my bike but never worried about a bad person trying to hurt me. Lots of things were different then they are today....isn't it sad?? :(

Daze....ramble on rambling man as I truly enjoy your posts as I get them and your right. We need to walk the walk to get our freedom. Unity and knowing we are America.....not these idiots in the white house. :)

I love our country.....good and bad and all. We have good people and I think if we all could get back to how it was we would be in a better place. I can remember how going for ice cream with my folks was a huge treat, baseball games were everything , fishing, camping, not to mention people were not spoiled and really appreciated the little things in life. Cooperate America is the enemy.....not the people of this nation.

OK....stoned but will continue later ;)

7. "The Master"

"The Master" Time Lord

Too many people just set inside, watch HD TV, and wait for death. :5headache:

I'm NOT sayin' EVERBODY is suited for Military service. But the more that people aren't involved in SOMETHING? i.e. PTA, School Board, Military, City Council Meetings and the like? then YOU are letting another speak for you.

To enact REAL change? then YOU need to get out, and get involved in these things. Local Government is where ALL of the power begins, trust me.

The major gangs have made it a MISSION to get involved in the above? WHY? because it DOES shape the direction of the group. They are right, trust me.

You can't start at the top.

8. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

This bleak outlook sort of disappoints me. But sadly much of it is warranted. That said.............

I'll share what the U.S. is to me.

I can get in my gasoline chugging Hot Rod/ Motorcycle/ Truck and do a smokey burnout until I need to stop for a drink or, the tires melt off.

I can say pretty much what I want, when I want, to whom I want. Unless I'm confessing to burning babies with cigarettes to a room full of expecting mothers, I'm pretty much OK.

I can ably supply my family with what they need, when they need it, and live the life I've become accustomed to, with out having to worry about it too much.

I can freely travel anywhere within my country, without having to talk to a soul if I so choose, even though the clerk at the gas station thinks I'm the quiet asshole type.

I can defend myself with the appropriate arms against unprovoked attack, undeniably.

I can sit on a beach, lite a fire, and drink and carry on until I choose not to do so.

I could go on and on.......

Now What are some of the things we aren't allowed to do for ourselves? This is where it gets tricky.........

Ride on.

9. "The Master"

"The Master" Time Lord

Like, I can but Camel cigarettes, but NO ephedra or mj. Those are both orgainic herbs. :)

I can tattoo and pierce my privates and face, but I can't admit to disliking anybody else but me. :)

There are silly things around here, too.

10. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

To be honest....America to me is nothing more than an illusion of freedom. We no longer have the ability to persue our happiness...instead we have to do so in secret, living with the fear that our 'happiness' could land us in jail. This country is no longer the 'land of the free'...if it ever even was to begin with. Call me a pessimist, but that's how I see it. Those in power give us just enough 'freedom' to keep us from uprising....that's it. In the end...they still control our lives.

Now that I gave MY example of America.....here's a good read for everyone. It kinda goes hand in hand with my example of how we THINK one thing while reality is far far different. This man, Howard Zinn, fought in WWII believing he was 'doing his duty to defend freedom', but over the course of his life came to realize that nothing could have been farther from the truth. A real eye opener to say the least.

Howard Zinn, The End of Empire?

11. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Well...you asked. :smokin:

Here's another view of our country...if one dares accept the truth of it.

American Grand Delusions

12. strawberry.cough

strawberry.cough looking into the abyss

I think some where in the constitution it says separation of church and state. This country was founded by many groupse who were religiously repressed by their original governments. How come our government is endorsing any belief? Our founding fathers would be appalled.

The only thing that has become a crime is to not believe as the religious right believes. To proclaim how pious one is is just so much hot air. Where are the works? I don't know about anyone else, but I prayed in school all the time and no one arrested me. I read my bible and no one runs into my home and burns it because it is the wrong version. In this country, it has been awhile since anyone has been stoned to death for their beliefs.

I am confused? Where in this country is religion illegal? :confused: not trying to start a fight just not exactly sure what it is you mean.

13. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

You can pray in school but a school official or teacher may not ask a student to pray where as back in the day they encouraged it. For instance in my school district when another student or teacher dies they have a moment of silence in memory but if they were to say let us pray.....well then there would be a law suit. I know what you mean Strawberry as when I went to school any child could bring their bible and pray. The school staff had prayers in the morning for troops and such but now that is not allowed. Many things have changed in our country....some good and some bad. I think we are not as free as we all think.

Look at the phone taps that Bush administration had done.....curious to if they will all be punished for the violation of our privacy.

Great posts everyone. :)

I do think we have it better then other countries but I think the point is we should be free as that was the beauty of America and now government is taken over more and more of our daily lives and like Herb stated we live in secrecy most of the time in order to truly be free.

14. strawberry.cough

nah mermaid I was talking about the fact that orginizing prayer in school is a problem we are a melting pot and not everyone believes the same. That is the whole point of the law. I was meaning that if I wanted to pray in my head say before an exam, no one has that kind of mind control over us. We really are a very free society, and I guess I am not sure what the real gripe is.

I suppose when I think of religion being illegal I think of the countries where people are STILL dying for their faiths. We in this country like to whine about how badly we have it, but I still don't see folks out bitching about their loss of rights. That is my issue, we are bitching and moaning about a country that has issues but for the love of pete, we have so much to sit and bitch about the little stuff, well I guess I want to know how come it is ok to just sit and want change, ghandi said baically be the change in the world. Well I guess I am just wondering how many of us are actually doing anything but sit and bitch.

you know me mermaid, I have got to take the other side I suppose in any question. It makes for good fodder to piss off the conservatives. After all jesus was the original bleeding heart liberal.

You guys have got to know when it comes to religion I get overly aroused emotionally. Don't forget, my father is/was a lutheran minister for over 50 years. I am afraid, my views of religion, and the clergy are quite different than the religious right, well most people for that fact.. They set their pastors, priests, whatever you choose to call them up so high that no MAN can live up to that standard, and they fall because we all have feet of clay.

I guess I think religion is being used for a whole lot of evil, and our country was founded on keeping our fingers out of what folks believe. I just don't understand....what more in the name of love. We are killing each other in the name of our god, and I just htink that regardless somewhere there is sobbing out there in the universe. How sad that we have to kill to prove we love our god more. Ummm I am pretty sure love they neighbor met don't kill them.

Ok ok to sum up my position. We talk about how godly we are(meaning all religions) , but we have twisted it up to suit our needs. I mean pro life equals pro death penalty, love they neighbor means kill then, thou shalt not covet thy neighbors posessions, means go in after their oil cause we need it the most. Actually china needs it the most what would happen if they invaded Iraq/Iran for oil. OMG we would have shit ourselves yellow hoard and all.

oh my was than me ranting~~~~ swore I would stay off the boards. See what happens when unemployement gives me idle hands. Fuck I need a j-o-b

15. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

Berry .....ahhh OK I gotcha! ;)

Love your post and always enjoy reading your insight in this forum so please do not stop posting here. I think we all should have an open mind to hear the other side of the coin or should I say another person's opinion.

Like I stated we are free compared to 3rd world countries who yes die for their faith. I hope my children live a life that is not full of hate and maybe one day people will be more accepting of other's. I do think we have come a long way as far as tolerance but we can still be better. :)

16. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

I thought randy meant the american ppl...

Regarding my original reply saying how i see america as a country of promise and all that... i do but thats a reflection on the american ppl and most definetly not the govt... now if you want me to state my opinions on the true USA govt...well thats a whole other 1000 word essay:roll:... dont get me started on that,lol,i thought randy was referring to the real USA meaning the american ppl as opposed to the ppl in control,etc.Cheers:potleaf:

17. Randy High

I need to find time to read the whole thread but let me thank you all so far for two pages!

I'm often distracted these days... What ever happened to all the daily read websites time?

Man... I digress...

My Take on .America is that it is ultimately a Farm.

There are ranches and cattle.

The exploited are the cattle...

Yeah it's all about degree but it can never go back to a Free land...

Like it or not I believe we are doomed to a glorified serf society future.

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/serf

18. Randy High

got a full read done.

Yeah world government...

They say that there is no such thing as National wealth because wealth is world wide now but poverty is bounded by boarders and police.

I'm all for a cycle where the lower level people working for wages have a good time!

19. strawberry.cough

Let America Be America Again

Let America Be America Again

by Langston Hughes

Let America be America again.

Let it be the dream it used to be.

Let it be the pioneer on the plain

Seeking a home where he himself is free.

(America never was America to me.)

Let America be the dream the dreamers dreamed--

Let it be that great strong land of love

Where never kings connive nor tyrants scheme

That any man be crushed by one above.

(It never was America to me.)

O, let my land be a land where Liberty

Is crowned with no false patriotic wreath,

But opportunity is real, and life is free,

Equality is in the air we breathe.

(There's never been equality for me,

Nor freedom in this "homeland of the free.")

Say, who are you that mumbles in the dark?

And who are you that draws your veil across the stars?

I am the poor white, fooled and pushed apart,

I am the Negro bearing slavery's scars.

I am the red man driven from the land,

I am the immigrant clutching the hope I seek--

And finding only the same old stupid plan

Of dog eat dog, of mighty crush the weak.

I am the young man, full of strength and hope,

Tangled in that ancient endless chain

Of profit, power, gain, of grab the land!

Of grab the gold! Of grab the ways of satisfying need!

Of work the men! Of take the pay!

Of owning everything for one's own greed!

I am the farmer, bondsman to the soil.

I am the worker sold to the machine.

I am the Negro, servant to you all.

I am the people, humble, hungry, mean--

Hungry yet today despite the dream.

Beaten yet today--O, Pioneers!

I am the man who never got ahead,

The poorest worker bartered through the years.

Yet I'm the one who dreamt our basic dream

In the Old World while still a serf of kings,

Who dreamt a dream so strong, so brave, so true,

That even yet its mighty daring sings

In every brick and stone, in every furrow turned

That's made America the land it has become.

O, I'm the man who sailed those early seas

In search of what I meant to be my home--

For I'm the one who left dark Ireland's shore,

And Poland's plain, and England's grassy lea,

And torn from Black Africa's strand I came

To build a "homeland of the free."

The free?

Who said the free? Not me?

Surely not me? The millions on relief today?

The millions shot down when we strike?

The millions who have nothing for our pay?

For all the dreams we've dreamed

And all the songs we've sung

And all the hopes we've held

And all the flags we've hung,

The millions who have nothing for our pay--

Except the dream that's almost dead today.

O, let America be America again--

The land that never has been yet--

And yet must be--the land where every man is free.

The land that's mine--the poor man's, Indian's, Negro's, ME--

Who made America,

Whose sweat and blood, whose faith and pain,

Whose hand at the foundry, whose plow in the rain,

Must bring back our mighty dream again.

Sure, call me any ugly name you choose--

The steel of freedom does not stain.

From those who live like leeches on the people's lives,

We must take back our land again,

America!

O, yes,

I say it plain,

America never was America to me,

And yet I swear this oath--

America will be!

Out of the rack and ruin of our gangster death,

The rape and rot of graft, and stealth, and lies,

We, the people, must redeem

The land, the mines, the plants, the rivers.

The mountains and the endless plain--

All, all the stretch of these great green states--

And make America again!

From The Collected Poems of Langston Hughes, published by Alfred A. Knopf, Inc. Copyright © 1994 the Estate of Langston Hughes. Used with permission.

20. Randy High

Brought to mind this tune by that group :)

I guess I am a true child of the 60's being born in 61....

I still listen.