BEST savory food to mask weed flavor, using trim????

Discussion in 'The 'Kind Kitchen' started by Cannagirl, May 12, 2009.

1. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

I just do not have enough weed to make food with pure bud or kief, I just don't ever grow enough. I have so far made several things with frosty trim and hated them all. I just can't stand the weed taste. I have tried lower heat, less cooking time, diff foods ect but have yet to be pleased with something. I have cannabutter thats been in the freezer for nearly a year!!!! (but to be fair I have not really been very creative with it yet....partially because I just can't stand to eat a large amount of pure butter as I don't think it's potent enough)

Anyone have an experience with something that masks the flavor COMPLETELY? I was thinking maybe something savory might be in order? Like chili or.....???

2. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

Canna, I don't know if you already do this, but the best way to make your butter taste better is to soak the trimmings in water at least twice. Just let it dry out, and soak again....the difference in taste is huge. But covering the already bad taste? The only advice I have here is to mix the cannabutter with normal butter, and try to mask it in a very chocolaty-chocolate-cake :smile:

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Link-Good idea. I'm going to try that. Does it affect the overall potency?

Canna-Come on girl...you got to work that butter. Don't let it rot in your freezer! Cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, nutmeg and a pumpkin pie spice mix all work well in concert with MJ flavor. Don't know how to totally get rid of the taste but those help mask the heaviest of it. Oh, almost forgot, heavy curry mixed with scotch bonnets does a good job. Make it flaming and you won't notice the taste because you'll be to busy trying to cool your mouth.

Do you drink? In the winter a hot canna/buttered rum made with Meyer's Dark rum and lots of nutmeg isn't bad.

cheers,

4. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

I've never soaked mine before cooking, but i find the richer the food, the less of the pot taste. i.e.- choco fudge brownies, or something of the like... good luck hon!

5. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

If you guys have never soaked it, you should really try it!

Just get a bowl of water and add your trimmings, soak for a day and let dry. I think it tastes much much better after a soak or two, and you should see how nasty the soaking water gets :puke:

Resin, as far as I know the potency shouldn't drop too much, but I don't really know that. Maybe some trichs might fall off in the soak, but I don't see it making much of a difference when cooking.

6. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Ok found a way to hide almost all flavor Canna. I got up in the middle of the night last night (notoriously poor sleeper) and whipped up a stoner snack. Canna butter brownies crumbled into vanilla yogurt.

The brownies were a little dry and the canna butter had a strong MJ taste which I tried to mask with cinnamon in the brownie recipe. Still pretty dank eaten plain. Once I mixed with the yogurt there was NO detectable MJ flavor or odor.....tasty snack too!:wink:

cheers,

7. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Great ideas all you guys, thanks so much! I will most definitely try to soaking thing, I will have a lot of really frosty trim in a little while and it would be nice to be able to enjoy it!

Funny thing, I also have some frozen brownies, I am gonna try that yogurt thing tonight, or maybe ice cream? It's my day off and I wanna enjoy it! Also the season finale of Lost is on tonight, I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gonna be a goooood night!

8. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

OMG YES! I cant stand that nasty wad of yuck after all the Brownie is gone...like a cow chewing her cud. But I SWEAR that this method works SO well you will NOT TASTE THE WEED AT ALL.

Take your trim--the leaves you wouldnt smoke anyway. Save them. Take a whole stick of margarine or butter OR cooking oil and heat it to medium high and toss in the trim. Simmer weed in the oil for 20 minutes MINIMUM then use a strainer to strain out all the green/brown stuff. All that is left is the oil, which is now heavily loaded with THC. Now go ahead and use the oil in whatever recipe you like. I prefer something sweet like brownies, coffee cake,, chocolate cupcakes...

The baked good freeze very well and a half to a whole muffin, cupcake is quite enough to totally blow yer socks off for hours.

This technique is actually dangerous, tho...because you CANNOT TASTE THE WEED...so if your neighbor helps himself to a cupcake...he wont have ANY IDEA....until an hour or so laterwhen he finds himself grinning for no reason at all!

Ive even done it in a white cake mix...you cant even SEE anything diofferent than plain white cake...it's fabulous.

I use cheesecloth to strain and usually Wesson oil or Canola oil. After I put in the weed, I turn it to low heat.

Another good one is to boil the trim in WHOLE milk, not skim or low fat. Boil for 20 minutes and then strain. It does have a dope taste, but you can mix 2 oz of the dopemilk with a glass of chocolate milk and it aint bad.

Now, it does smell up the whole house when you cook it in oil, so if you have close neighbors, do it late at night, LOL.

1/2 oz or so weed to a cup of oil is a good ratio. I grind up the weed in my blender to get it to a coarse "powder".

Try it-- let us know what you think!

Lass

9. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

7 layer bars

The best tasting (least weedy) edible I have made is 7 layer bars. There is nearly zero taste of bud because of the many distinct flavors. Also, the THC is all in the butter which is only the bottom layer and not mixed in with the entire bar.

1/2 cup cannabutter

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1 cup butterscotch chips

1 cup chopped walnuts

1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

1 1/3 cups shredded coconut

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).

2. Place butter in 13 x 9 inch pan and melt in oven. Swirl to coat bottom and sides with butter.

3. Spread crumbs evenly over bottom of pan. Layer chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and nuts over crumbs. Pour condensed milk over nuts. Sprinkle coconut over condensed milk.

4. Bake until edges are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool. Get ripped.