Bio-aeroponics

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by chopstick, Jun 8, 2003.

1. chopstick

chopstick Chilled out

I've been doing some research on Organic hydro and have been looking at the various systems available. But I haven't been able to find anything on Aeroponics in conjunction with organics. I find this high tech system very interesting. And was wondering if it's suitable for Organics. I also wanted to know if there are other systems take the organics better,ie. NFT, Gravity flow/Ebb and Flow. I was considdering using PVC tubes as it's very humid and hot here, and I want to avoid having problems with algee by exposing the nutrient.
    Can the other systems contain the nutrient as well?.
    I want to avoid having as many system problems as possible, so was wondering what system is easy to use and organic friendly if Aeroponics wont do the trick? Thanks for the helps guys.

(Edited by chopstick at 12:42 pm on June 8, 2003)

2. greenthumb420

greenthumb420 Hash Engineer

3. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

Hey choppy. Here is what I have found out.

If you want to do aero and go totally organic, the only two solutions that will work properly ( due to soluablility and clogging of the jets) are Meta Naturals and Botanicare original. The best system for hydro organics are ebb n flow and NFT. Less chance of anything clogging up. In both cases, you can use a covered ressy to help reduce humidity in the room and prevent algae. I do ebb n flow and for my peppers that I did bio-ponics the most important things to remember are:

1) Organics drop PH down considerably. You will need PH up.

2) Make sure you suspend your pump at least two inches off the bottom of the ressy and use a filter or net bag to help prevent clogging.

3) Put a net bag with coco coir or drop in a 6x6x6 coco tek cube from G.H. This will provide a home for the beneficial microbes. The net bag is required for the coco brick as it will break down, the coco tek cube will not.

4) When you change your reservoir Solution, only change up to 80%, you want to leave all the microbes chilling in the bottom of your ressy.

5) I highly recommend adding mychorizae fungus to the ressy. They have soluable mychor. but it might be hard to find. In which case you can add the granular.

6) The biggest tip I can give you is that when you do your initial set-up` prep the ressy with everything so it can sit and make a "tea" at least a week ahead of time. Otherwise the microbe population will not be significant enough to provide uptake of the nutes. Thats also why you leave 20% in the bottom during ressy change.

Let me know if you have any other Q's.

4. greenthumb420

greenthumb420 Hash Engineer

Useless i've been looking into organic hydro quite a bit lately and have found there really isn't a whole lot of info on it.Any reason why? Also i was thinking DWC would be a good way to go as it is simple.Do you think you would have a problem with the air stones clogging?

5. Useless

The airstones do get mucky, but you can rinse them off and run some warm water through em about every month or so. I don't think many people are doing bio-ponics. Even my partner at the hydro store said "WTF is that?", he never heard it called that. A lot of the recommendations I am going off of are from him, as he tests all of the products he sells and knows what works with what. DWC would be great with it, now that you mention it.

6. chopstick

chopstick Chilled out

You know your stuff man, thanks a lot Useless, you definitely are not :wink:

7. hellostupid

hellostupid Stupid Iz. Stupid Duz.

:alien:I ain't gonna lie Useless...u scare me!!!:shocked:

Your knowledge of Hydro is literally Leapz&Boundz over anything i've read in any "book"....much respect!:cheesy:

I mean really, I think hydrostore owners should come to you fer advice...i know i do. I try to make an effort to read every new post that you make...yes...i really think you're that "dope"....:biggrin:

Converting the Rezzy into a Massive Teabag wuz the most Innovative Improvement/Tip to Organic Hydro. I am also happily surprised that you had the confidence enough to ditch the organic based fertz...to make your very own "bat poop soup"...very pioneering of you!!!

I think fellow growkinders are jus' lucky enough to have a Hydroponic Expert like yourself giving Novices like moi all this Free Advice!!! The best part about this Growkind Website is that i don't hafta pay fer it...

...but if i could...i think i would!!!:cheesy:

I mean honestly, how many Bioponic Books are available to us? Probably Zero. Wow...u may jus well be tha closest thing to a Bioponic Book!!![​IMG]

:smokin:

(Edited by hellostupid at 5:20 am on June 10, 2003)

8. Useless

Thanks guys. Maybe I should write book. lol. Oh ****, I think I just broke my arm patting myself on the back :roflmao:

But seriously, thanks for the props guys. Just apssing on what I know and learning tons more along the way.

Also a note of retraction for Joint Effort and Ismoke (hello) I previously mentioned that organics are not electro-conductive so you should not buy an EC/TDS meter. Well, it seems to depend on the source of the nutrient. I would have been correct to say that not all organics are electro-conductive. Some are. I have tested some organic ferts for ec and always rang up a big goose-egg (0). But, before I watered with the "bat poop soup" I did a measurement and the EC/TDS was wayyyyyy high. 2800 ppm. In retrospect I guess it's not that high. Just with Supernatural Brand ferts (that I have been using for a few years now) the max ppm during the final stages of flower is only 1200 ppm.

Well, I figure if I mess anything up, its hydro so I will notice immediately. Flush it real quick and start over or could even flip to the Meta-Naturals or Botanicare if I just flop it.