Bloom Onyx LED

Discussion in 'LED Growing' started by Mrgreengenes, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

I just purchased 3 Bloom Onyx LEDs I'm supper excited! :coolbounce:

I just upgraded my grow room and moved the veg box to the outside of the room.

dxe, I have a lot more room and will be running a ebb and flow on one side with 3 Onyx Bloom over that table, and Hempy pots on the other side with a 600 watt over them. :bong-2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

David peaks likes this.
  2. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Wow stepping it up big time

3. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

My eyes are peeled.

4. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Faster flower, more thc crystals, way lower heat, lower electric bill, no bulbs to replace....lots to be excited about. :thumbs-up:

Cool to see you trying it out. :smokin:

What are you going to put under the leds as far as strain?

5. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Alright Mr G!! If you could get it set up with some overlap on the lights would kick ass. It would be nice to see what the LEDs can do on their own but let them get a few rays of the HPS too and I think they'll go crazy.

I've got a cheaper HTG model LED light in one of the HPS rooms. I put it on 2 plants on the outskirts where the HPS alone just isn't enough. But together they do the job quite well. Good luck!!!!

Be Cool, CG

6. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

[YOUTUBE]aKFYtUJFYVE[/YOUTUBE]

7. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

thinking I'm about to order one myself.

I need a replacement for a 600, was thinking CMH but I all ears. resetting a lumatek ballast at least once a day

8. Mrgreengenes

They were shipped today:thumbsup:

9. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Hey guys just a heads up I've had some issues with the Onyx bloom units. Out of 15 units, a bunch had fan shroud problems such that when installed the fan hit the plastic and made a racket. One unit lost half the lights after a week or so. One unit had the wrong sized holes for the light hanging bolts. Another unit just shut off and never came back on. Rapid was good about replacing them. I had one power supply go bad too after working for a while.

I got my first haul from a 4x4 table and a 2x4 - JBxKOK under 6 onyx bloom units - 20 zips total. Some of that was user error - I let them veg too long and they overgrew the space. But I didn't see any head nugs like what I get under the HPS lights. Again some of that is user error. The plants were way too close to the lights.

I have since added a third light to each 2X4 table, so I am running 3 onyx units per 2x4 table. I have also added CO2. I am sure the yield will go up.

For me the jury is still out. For the cost, I was pretty disappointed in the quality control. And I am learning that unless you have lots of head room, getting the light far enough away to spread the small footprint out can be a challenge. You need approx 18- 24" above the canopy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  10. DXE

DXE Moderator

USER ERROR!!!!!!

Took me a couple runs to get the light distance and the nutrients right. For a 2x4 table 3 units is the way to go

GJ - when your units arrive let me know - might be time for a road trip!!!!

I have 18 Onyx units - had two fan issues - one the bearings went and the other threw a blade - simple 80mm computer fan easy to replace. Over a year now and no other issues at all.

I run mine about 8-10 inches over the canopy. Where I was feeding every third watering, I now feed every other watering. FOund I needed more CalMag - use that with every watering and also added a carb boost for last 4 weeks.

Dont know how to help you guys with nutrient guidence when your running tables - I like to fee I am actually gardening :) - I use soil mix in softpots.

11. CREATIVE GARDENER

12. Mrgreengenes

dxe, I'm not worried about the lights, and when I get them a road trip sounds good. I'll have some treats for you when you get here too. :redbong:

13. Mrgreengenes

I just purchased a roll of the insulating mylar at Lowes. I removed the old stuff and just ran the roll around the room. I used Velcro on the back side to attach to the walls. The plants love it.

IMG_6247 (825x1100).jpg

IMG_6248 (1200x900).jpg

/monthly_2015_02/57a6cb7b9ca2d_IMG_6247(825x1100).jpg.cbc9d20f5f8f5ec309faa68a24079429.jpg

/monthly_2015_02/57a6cb7bae239_IMG_6248(1200x900).jpg.9531078dd5966f9fcefe9d0073b7bce7.jpg

14. CREATIVE GARDENER

That's wild, I bought a 50 ft roll of the same thing night before last. Looked like it would really do the trick. Haven't hung any yet.

Be Cool, CG

15. Mrgreengenes

Great minds think alike. :redbong:

16. CREATIVE GARDENER

Yeah, I figured it would reflect the light and the radiant heat from the lights. Kinda doing double duty. And reduce hot spots.

Be Cool, CG

17. Mrgreengenes

New mylar

image.jpg

/monthly_2015_02/image.jpg.fcd727b0d86949e2563b1e980abe573b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2015
  18. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Hmmmm...GJ garden expansions and improvements. Upping the ante boss?

19. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

exactly what I've thought all along and why chose Orca film when setting up my space a few years ago. In a small space reflecting radiant heat was something I wanted to avoid, esp under an HPS. The new space I have dancing around in my head is much larger and chock full of LED's so a little radiant heat will be a good thing. I'll definitely be checking this stuff out once the construction commences :thumbs-up::thumbs-up:

20. CREATIVE GARDENER

Yeah, and since it is reflective on both sides it can help with the cooling by reducing radiant heat coming from outside the grow area. Like if the room has an outside wall that gets a lot of sunshine in the summer. The walls of the old house I work in have a hard time keeping out the cold and the heat as well.

Be Cool, CG