Bubble Curtain

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by MellowDood, May 22, 2003.

1. MellowDood

MellowDood weed eater

i'm definitely going to stick with soil due to the size limits of my grow area, but i would like to build an aerocloner to maximize successful clones.
    i've read this: http://www.overgrow.com/growfaq/835
    and i'm just wondering how that aqua-tech bubble curtain works.  is it basically just a tube with tiny holes in it to release the air?  seems like something you could make with the same plastic tubing used to attach the pump to the bubble curtain and a needle to poke holes.  any thoughts?

2. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

Thats pretty much it dood.

I went with pvc and jets, to make an aero cloner, but the bubble cloner is basically the same thing.

I spent $45 to make my cloner. Pretty goddam cheap I'd say.

3. MellowDood

MellowDood weed eater

i only have space to work on 5-6 clones at a time.

how is this for a small aerocloner design?

Whisper Air Pump 10, $6

Timer, $5

16oz Rubbermaid dish, $2

1/4" ID, 3/8" OD tubing, $2

Goop Plumer's Adhesive, $4

instead of using a bubble curtain like the one in the OG guide i will just glue my tubing in a circular pattern on the floor of the rubbermaid and poke a bunch of holes in the side of the tube with a needle.  pieces of the tube can also be used to hold the clones in the lid.

[​IMG]

Whisper Air Pump 10

is there any specific reason to get a dual outlet air pump?  the OG Cheap Aerocloner Guide says to get one but i see no need.

[​IMG]

rubbermaid dish like this one only smaller and not clear

also, would a heater be necessary?

[​IMG]

i found this Whisper Heater 10 for $6

let me know what you all think.

4. hellostupid

hellostupid Stupid Iz. Stupid Duz.

:alien:

Bubbles agitate the water.

Over 90% of the O2/water exchange occur at the water surface...

...so basically an oscillating fan blowin across the water will aerate the water jus AS Well as the Bubble Curtain....

...blashemy i know....i'tz even hard fer me to believe...but it'z true...

Water Agitation...keeps the water Aerated...:smokin:

(Edited by ismoke2much at 4:17 pm on May 23, 2003)

5. Useless

Water agitation will increase aeration. However, bubblewands or airstones are better because the bubbles actually break the water surface. For the best aeration, you have to break the water surface. A fan would have to make mini-waves to provide as much aeration of a given amount of water. But, a fan running on the surface will suffice.

To provide the most aeration of the water, a waterfall effect is best, like NFT where the run-off drops out of the end of the tube and falls for a couple feet into the ressy.

(Edited by Useless at 6:16 am on May 24, 2003)

6. MellowDood

MellowDood weed eater

i'm not sure what you two are talking about.  i was under the impression that an aerocloner helps to root clones quickly but lightly spraying the stems via bubbles that burst at the surface of the res of liquid ferts.

7. Useless

You got it dood. Although that is a bubble cloner. Aero cloner would use a jet and mist the roots. Pretty much the same thing, only a little different.

I smoke and myself just went on a little tangent.

8. MellowDood

MellowDood weed eater

bubble cloner, my bad.  i finished making mine yesterday but my idea of poking holes in the air tube instead of buying a bubble curtain didn't work too well.  hopefully if i get one it will work better than my crappy tube full of holes.

9. greenthumb420

greenthumb420 Hash Engineer

Mellow dood i've been using the cheapo aerocloner for a while now with nothing but success and the best part i don't have to use rooting gel or rockwool and the even better part the clones don't have to be hardened off (acclimated) like you have to do when using a dome.

The reason for the dual outlet on the pump is it allows more airflow between 2 bubble wands as opposed to hooking up 2 bubble wands to a single outlet. Things to remember:

Be sure it is light tight other wise you will get algae which is not good for rooting as the algae competes with the roots for oxygen depending on how big the build up is.You can make it light tight by using duct tape.

You don't have to use a heater along as the water doesn't dip below 70 degrees which is dependent on room temperature.....i haven't used the heater yet.

all in all my cloner cost $15 to build and has rooted countless clones.

10. hellostupid

hellostupid Stupid Iz. Stupid Duz.

:alien:You're right Useless....i still use airbubblers...since i don't like taking chances with my Cannabis either...hehe!!!

I also have 2 waterfalls(intentionally) located at my drain and feeder hoses!!! I have my feeder hose jetting across the water to promote water agitation...jus like Useless recommended...

...like i said...i'm not here to Teach...I'm here to Learn...

...i've combined all the knowledge that u guruz been typing...i think i'm turning Japanese, definitely!!!:light:

Keep them tips comin'....becuz i'm here to practice what u preach...and i promise i'll give u all an honest opinion with my resultz!!!:light:

11. MellowDood

MellowDood weed eater

so i don't have to do anything to the clones? just cut and place in aero/bubble cloner with straight water? i was thinking a few drops of liquid karma in the res would speed up the rooting process. what do you think? also, how often should the res be emptied and filled with fresh water/solution?

12. greenthumb420

Some people still use rooting gel but i never had to.Yes you can add LK, sorry i forgot to mention that.I used LK last time and it did speed things up.I would change the Res water after 2 weeks if they haven't all rooted yet.

13. MellowDood

MellowDood weed eater

awesome... you make it sound as if it's even easier than i imagined :biggrin:

14. HappyJay

HappyJay Red Eyed Jedi

I fully agree with GT420. A dual airpump works great. I have found that the more air the better and results improove when you use airstones that release more/ finer bubbles. You will also have a better success rate if you have a more even spread of airbubbles through out the cloner.

I have a 15 litre bucket with 25 holes. It runs a dual outlet airpump with two 4" fine sandstone type airstones. It runs at 100% efficiency with roots starting as soon as 4 days from cutting. Definately got me sold.

15. greenthumb420

I will say i had one thing i didn't like about that setup they listed on OG. The bubble curtains do great but you have to glue the clamps for them on the bottom. It is very hard to get the bubble curtain out of the clamp with out breaking the glue. the next time i build one i'll probably use 2 smaller stones weighted down with a couple marbles or try something like happy jay did.

16. ToaD

ToaD Developed Alternating Nodes

How long do you guys have the timers set for on the bubble cloner's. 30min on 60mins off???

17. greenthumb420

I would go 15 on 30 off.