Bubble Magic CO2 kief shaker

Discussion in 'Hash and Oil' started by OldSmokey, Jan 12, 2015.

1. OldSmokey

OldSmokey Registered Users

Hi All,

About a year back, I went to the local hydro store looking for some bubble bags. My intent was to use them to make some dry ice kief. The guy behind the counter recommended this thing instead. i've used it a few times and it seems to work, though it wasn't real cheap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This thing has a 120 micron screen in it and the counter guy said it was a very high quality screen. I figured that I'd have a look and see how large the openings in the screen were, compared to trichomes. I set up the camera and used the tip of a toothpick to smear a bit of the kief on the screen. I was a bit surprised to see how much other stuff was in the kief. Perhaps a finer screen would be better.

In spite of how "impure" the kief looks, it sure does taste good.

[​IMG]

This device gets a "thumbs up" from me, though it would have been nice if it had a cover over the screen to keep the dust in during the initial shaking. (I cover it with aluminum foil.) Instructions would have been nice, but it really wasn't too hard to figure out.

OS

2. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Pretty cool. Any pics of the final product?

3. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Very post.... Would love to see a tutorial showing how you did it....

4. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

So why not just use regular bubble bags? Put which ever bag size you want (mine are 220,75,38,& 25. I know I have a couple other sizes, I just don't remember right at this moment.)into a 5 gallon bucket, put a lid on it and shake away.

5. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

zactly what I was thinking. I googled them and from what I can tell from their video is that they've reinvented the wheel for no particular reason. Old Smokey I'm not knocking for buying them so I hope I don't offend you when I say Personally I think a set of cheap bags and 5 gal would work as well or better... Just sayin

That is some nice looking hash though :bravo::jj:

[YOUTUBE]Ui1BTKVU19c[/YOUTUBE]

6. OldSmokey

Ducrider, that video explains a lot. I did it a bit differently, shaking the can upright for a couple of minutes before inverting it to shake out the kief. I wan't real sure if the screen could take the weight of the dry ice, since I was using about 3 times as much as recommended in the video. Apparently the screen is tougher than it looks.

I was using a side to side and round and round motion instead of the recommended up and down method. Don't really know how much difference this makes.

One thing that I'd recommend is keeping the shaker as close as possible to the surface that the kief will land on, without hitting the pile. The kief is so fine that it tends to go everywhere and after having made a large sticky mess on the floor that required alcohol to clean up, I now use a large tarp on the floor under the table. No more mess. When the guy in the video talks about needing a 3' X 3' surface to collect the kief on, he's not kidding. While most of the kief collects right below the shaker, the whole table gets a light dusting that can be scraped up using a credit card.

Lvstickybud, I was looking for bubble bags to begin with. The hydro store guy claimed this was better, so I figured i'd try it. Since I've never used bags, I can't really comment on which is better.

Bigbud214, maybe next time, as the trim is all used up.

friendlyfarmer, here's a couple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

Next time shake it over a mirror, a piece of glass, plexiglass or even a cardboard box. It will make clean up a lot easier.

8. OldSmokey

I did it over a clean formica table. Scraping the stuff into a pile with a credit card was easy enough. I had no idea that all of it wasn't staying on the table.

I suspect that really small particles of kief were floating in the gaseous CO2 and ending up on the floor, where they got tracked around into a sticky mess. This might have been due to having too much dry ice in the shaker. The CO2 cloud coming out of the shaker and flowing off the table was pretty impressive. Maybe too impressive. Next time I'll use less.

9. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal