Building the plant of your dreams

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by friendlyfarmer, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

I hope the hot shot pest strips are ok indoors. I got two in my closet, two sep veg/ flower boxes in the closet. Haven't seen a fungas nat of spider might since I started using them in there. I got the air sucked into attic thou

2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

There's a thread somewhere around GK where we delved into dichlorvos.

Think it was left with a few of us (myself included) believing that even considering the minute amounts that could actually settle on a leaf surface. The short half life ensured no remnant of dichlorvos would remain more than several days after harvest even if used throughout the plant's life cycle.

A few refused to use it, ever, due to questions in carcinogen studies and lack of solid info on garden usage or horticulture. Maybe something new has come up? I don't know.

A few (including Useless I believe....pretty sure) believed use during veg and early flower really posed no significant risk due to the short half life of dichlorvos across all mediums. Tending towards the more cautious rather than liberal side of exposure whereever possible.

There's a solid piece by Cornell. Figure everybody just has to decide for themselves. http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/carbaryl-dicrotophos/dichlorvos-ext.html

Here's the key to dichlorvos if you want the best benefit and believe the latter practice of less long term exposure. Be sure to stop all room exhaust for several hours a day while using pest strips. The room needs to saturate to gain full benefit. I've literally watched mites crawl about for days on plant not 4 inches from a pest strip. Building their little web of death without a care of the horrid poison hanging over their heads.:BangHead: I'd never shut down the exhaust in my veg garden.

Most times, simply saturating your garden several hours a day for a week or two are all that's really needed. Once you're sure critters are gone, bag up the strip and save it for another time. I don't do this.

My gardens are prone to constant infection from the outside, clones from other gardens, clones from outdoor plants coming in, and my pets. The no pest strip hangs in very nearly every garden until the last few weeks of flowering and they get at least an hour of saturation every day. You could say I'm on the extreme end.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
  3. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Ahem. That was on the tip of my tongue.

Thanks RR for the clarification. I smoke BHO, a pipe (tobacco) and drink heavily. I also use these strips alot. I guess I am a risk taking sombitch.

No ill effects detected AFAIK. I leave em in there 24/7 through all phases of veg and bloom. I never take them out. Maybe I will start taking them out, but I swear I can't get rid of these fucking gnats. I'm ready to bomb. I just pulled a cube from a table I cut today and they are living in the moist root mass! Fuckers.

:qleft4: :bug3:

:qleft1:

:qleft2: :bee:

:qleft3:

:qleft6: :spider:

:qleft7:

:new_2gunsfiring_v1:

:XXbazooka:

:finger::fireworks::fire::fire:

4. DXE

DXE Moderator

I also use hotshots in all of my grow and work spaces

Never had an issue with any insect life either

5. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Hmm alright. Yeah about a year ago I bought one because I couldn't find sticky strips. Then read the package after purchasing and didn't ever use it but never looked into it. LOL

6. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

I have one in every garden 24/7 and since I run plants at different stages of bloom, it is throughout their whole bloom period. I hate pests and these are the only thing that I have used that kills just about any bug I've had. I also vent 24/7. I keep mine low to the floor. I figure that's where they are so that's the best place to get 'em.

7. DXE

DXE Moderator

Gotta laugh - this conversation made me order replacements (they only last 4 months), UPS just came with my pest strips and all grows upgraded!!

Thanks!!!!

8. friendlyfarmer

The plant of my dreams isn't infested with bugs.

9. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

I know I have asked this question before,... If you don't use. Bushmaster at week 5 in flower do you just use the fert base useless posted 2.5-7-18. Grow micro bloom for week 5.

Is the only reason you do use BM is just to slow stretching down?

10. friendlyfarmer

AFAIK Bushmaster is supposed to be a bud booster, making flowers bigger and tighter. As a side effect it also happens to stop vertical growth. Or the other way around. Either way I think folks use it for both purposes.

My experience using it on KillaQueenXBluehammer was that it did just that - stopped vertical growth and made the buds dense and tight. The difference in the plants at harvest, Bushmaster vs no Bushmaster was night and day. On some strains only though, because it has little to no effect on the JBxKOK. I ran two tables side by side one with BM the other without and there was some difference but not much. It hurts the plant in some way - makes them droopy and sad lookin for a week or so, so I only use it when I have to.

11. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

OK, not reading everything because I have a shit load of catching up to do.

But the HSPS are gtood for flower, will use them right until the flowers start forming. After that, ditch them, and control your environment better. HEPA filters on intakes and exhaust, sealed room. Don't let the fuckers in and you're golden.

Man I miss the Dab. Was a great strain to breed, and take to parties. Lost her in the raid last Thanksgiving. Not my favorite, but damn, a pleasure to smoke. The sweetness makes everyone want more. Cie' la Vie'. Such is life.

Good to see everyone still around and enjoying the plant we all love.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Cheers.

12. friendlyfarmer

Hey man I'm glad your checking in! :coool:

Here are a few shots of the trimming I'm doing with the tables pictured above, taken over the last week or so and posted earliest to latest. I am now at day 21 in bloom, and the last pics were taken tonight.

I cleaned the legs off the plants, and completely cleaned off the bud sites and fan leaves below the trellis. I've been pinching the taller stems to try to slow them down and get something of an even canopy. I also trimmed several handfuls of fan leaves off the taller shoots last night thereby allowing lots of light to get to lower budsites that would otherwise be shaded by fan leaves of taller shoots that frankly don't need the energy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. friendlyfarmer

12 days later

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Bristol Fashion FF!!

My initial reaction was whoa dude you went a little too far with the trim job but the shot 12 days later shows I was mistaken. The girls look like they're steaming merrily along their way to a nice fat harvest:goodjob:.

15. friendlyfarmer

Thankee. Problem with this table is even canopy, and I could have filled out the trellis more (more veg time I think). But I finally have the pinching down, whereas a month ago I was still not employing pinching as much as I am now with current tables. I didn't pinch these enough or soon enough to even the canopy out. I think I cut the right amount off, just too early .

16. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Thinking the trim looks spot on. Just a couple stems got away from you and shot up.

17. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

Nice man, I need to start figuring out the pinching deal. I'm 1 harvest away from running clone only filled tables. Maybe by the end of the year I'll join the elite club and get some LED's.

18. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Looking good FF, maybe one day I'll have to get over to your place and check things out in person. [​IMG]

GiTX, the pinching thing is actually pretty easy.

I always pinch the shoots I'm trying to slow down. Lets say the plant your growing has two different spots were the shoots are trying to get taller then the rest of the canopy. I would pinch those two shoots daily until I see the others catching up then I simply stop. I normally end up having to pinch about three days in a row and that seems to slow them down nicely. [​IMG]

19. friendlyfarmer

Any time, Boss!

Res thanks for the chime. For sure a few of them really shot up and even pinching the stem from top to bottom only slowed them down a little. I should have pinched earlier and a little more aggressively. I'm doing that on the crop in veg right now.

Also I note that the Dabney responded to the pinching better than the JBKOK. The Dab's stems are all around fatter to begin with and less woody so you don't really have to pinch much to crush the stem and really stall the big shoots. After 4-5 days the Dab looks like you want - menorah.

Also the Dabney is noticeably more vigorous and faster growing than the other 3 strains on the table. What a great plant!

20. friendlyfarmer

Check this out. This is a Dabney cut. She's 4 weeks under veg lighting, 5 weeks from cut.

[​IMG]

I have topped her 2x but have not shaved her legs much yet. I'm going to try to reduce the sheer amount of plant matter I hack off every time. With the JBKOK plants as small as they usually are when I am putting them into flower, I think I am cutting too much too soon. So I have started doing major trimming once at the end of week one of bloom, and again at the end of week two. Anyway that's why she looks so dense.

This is partially due to my pessimistic prognosis on the weight of my current tables. At 6 weeks they look thin to me. Like there is ALOT more room for a lot more tops in there. So I need to either veg longer to get more tops, or cut off less stuff and pinch better than I did the last time. Actually I plan to do both and switch to a clonerator so I should be starting with plants a week or two further along as well. Gotta fill those tables.