calling out alienbait: LED?

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by austinaltezza, Apr 13, 2007.

1. austinaltezza

austinaltezza New Sprout

so you got an update on your plant? :punk:

AlienBait likes this.
  2. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

It's only been a week, so there isn't much to see. It's still alive. I'll post a pic later today.

The "Official" LED grow hasn't started yet. I'm still waiting for my clones to root. I'm trying out some new cloning gel that comes in little pudding cups called "gel2root". ILikeGreenThings said she got her clones to root in 4-5 days using this stuff. For me it's been almost two weeks and I still don't have roots. The plants are looking healthy and alive, but just no roots.

Anyway, like I said, I'll post up some pics a little later today. I just woke up and haven't had my coffee yet. :)

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Sticky Skunky Buds

I use this green light powdered rooting hormone works on the first day! The plant will be in shock but a couple of hrs later it's fine. You dont need much and it works, you can get it at ACE HARDWARE stores, you can also get ph up and down and all sorts of stuff at ACE.

4. AlienBait

Well, since you asked. Here are some pictures I took today. Not much different than last week. Just another set of leaves. I did, however, have to move the lights up an inch.

For those just tuning in, this is a White Satin from Mandala Seeds being grown completely in a 16 oz. plastic beer cup. I am flowering it under 20 watts of LEDs. I started flowering before alternating nodes and before any pre-flowers. Right now, we are at the end of week 2 of 12/12. There is no sign of sex yet.

By the way, I don't think this should be in the Beginner Lounge. I don't know what forum it belongs in, so I 'll let the mods move it if they want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. AlienBait

Are you saying you get roots the first day? I would have to see that for myself. What is the name of that "green light powdered rooting hormone?"

I normaly use the rockwool method to clone with the rooting powder.

I was just trying something new. I saw the Gel-2-Root stuff at the store and wanted to try it out. After the positive review by ILikeGreenThings, I bought some and stuck in my clones for the next LED grow that I am going to do. Well, its been two weeks now and still no roots. I don't think I did anything wrong...

I think next time, I will go back to my old method. OR maybe I'll build a bubble-cloner.

6. SmokeWizzleEveryDizzle

SmokeWizzleEveryDizzle ~Movin on up'

still looks healthy AB, its gotta be getting kinda close to bein rootbound huh? Keep the l.e.d. revolution going, peace!!

~Wizzle

7. Randy High

Randy High Organic Alumni

Hey AB I used Honey and it rooted in 3 - 4 days..

Just thought to share.

8. Randy High

I was thinking: Would a reflective surface closer help?

I'm thinking it might but I don't know.

9. AlienBait

What did you do after dipping them in honey?

It probably would. I just picked up some mylar. I'll install it this weekend.

10. Randy High

Well the organic heads say dip in raw organic honey and put it in soil.

The Garden people say put the cutting in honey mixed in water and it will root.

I covered my ass and rolled the honey dipped in rooting powder then stuck it in soil.

I had three out of four. I feel the hole was too large in number 4 soil block for the stem and it dried and died.

Yeah I was thinking the reflective point would be close.

Great thread BTW. I moved it because it is a worthy thread. Thanx.

11. Randy High

Was thinking should we have any inside shoots?

Maybe cutting them off quickly would help.

LOL "We" I'm stoked about this thread.

12. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

Im tuned in,white satin you say?

Well im tuned in for sure as usual AB:alien:,look forward to seeing where this grow takes you/us..interesting for me anyway and a nice lil organic tip there from randy that i'll maybe mix with my rooting gel in future:thumbsup:On with the thread...:potleaf:

PS: White satin... good yielder,did you get it from Mandala Seeds?Im gonna buy that or some white Cloud next week,iv still got my K2 but their for cross straining purposes.Any 'inside' info on white satin appreciated AB:alien:

13. AlienBait

Hey Apprentice, Thanks for stopping by.

The White Satin is from Mandala. I don't know much about it except what is said on their web site. I've never grown it before, so I really cannot give you any info. Sorry...

Randy, I think you are right. I will cut off the side branches (at least the lower ones).

14. Randy High

I'm not sure how deep that LED light goes so I'd get a reflective near and trim the excess then focus on a main cola?

I was reminded of some member who wanted to grow in tubes.

Would work if the tube was lined with LED's maybe.

15. AlienBait

Now, that would be a pain in the @$$ to set up.

16. brand

brand Begun Flowering

Do you have green led in your lights. Are they getting any sunlight to give them the green leaves? Floros or what not.

17. AlienBait

No green, just red and blue. And, no, there are no other lights being used just the LEDs.

Plants do not absorb green or yellow light. That is why they appear green to us. They are reflecting the green light back. One of the advantages of using LEDs is that you don't waste energy producing green and yellow light. You only produce light in wavelengths that the plant uses.

18. brand

brand Begun Flowering

I was under the assumption that with led's since there is no green light hitting the plants the leaves should be a black hue. Plants reflect green because there is green light present from the sun or hid's but there is no green light to reflect with blue and red leds. So the leaves shouldn't be green. Have I been researching wrongly?

19. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

The leaves won't look green under the lights, and they don't as you can see from the pics. In sunlight or other light they will still be green ;)

lol, sorry, that made me giggle. Almost like when I asked if the same amount of watts from an HPS cost less with cfls ;)

20. AlienBait

Yup!

Randy High likes this.