calling out alienbait: LED?

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by austinaltezza, Apr 13, 2007.

1. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

They are coming out with some very powerful LEDs this year. Even one of these super-bright LEDs is brighter than a 23 watt cfl. They are going to be very expensive from what I hear, and will require a heat sink. So, I think using LEDs for growing are not too far off in the future, just not going to be cheap (yet).

2. AlienBait

Well, you are very welcome. Thanks for stopping by.

As far as the container being the limiting factor, there are others who are also growing in 16 oz cups and flowering under HPS lights. They are kicking my butt as far as bud development. I posted this link on an earlier post, but I'll post it hear as well since you asked the question:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10461

Check it out. Some of those guys are doing amazing things with such small "pots."

3. Gratitude

Gratitude Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

I went and looked...

you were not kidding.

Looking forward to the next Reverse experiment update!

4. SmokeWizzleEveryDizzle

SmokeWizzleEveryDizzle ~Movin on up'

Looks awesome AB, checked that other sites thread, maybe yours will be the only one alive by the finish, so even tho theres a few taller than urs, you may be the turtle that FINISHES the race.

On to a deeper thought, once LED's become a growers delight, not only will MJ growers be stoked, but theres also the possibility of having indoor farms during winter seasons for legal agricultural uses. Kinda far fetched idea right now, but so many farmers can only grow outdoors, with complete control over spectrum and low cost, maybe this will put more $$ in other ppl's hands. Go LED's!

5. Randy High

Randy High Organic Alumni

Oh Yeah.. They see the growroom profit margin.

Isn't it the thing? Like MG they decided to run the store rather then compete...

6. AlienBait

Just to see what would happen, I made a little change in the setup. I moved the LEDs so that only one of the four lights is focused on the buds and the other three are pointing at the leaves. Suprisingly, my bud doubled in size since last week. :wav:

You may be right Wizzle. At least I hope so. :)

Here are my pictures for this week. This is the end of Week 7 under the LEDs and 12/12 (65 days total since surfacing).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. krondikebar

krondikebar In A Cloud Of Kush Smoke

that shit looks frosty as a mother fucker homie

8. Shine Down

Shine Down plays in cabinets........

damn i am glad i got a couple of red 60 counts coming, with the little space i have, and small amount to grow, works out perfectly

9. mad_russian

mad_russian Flowering/veg outdoor

holy smokes , i gotta get me some LEDs for personal growing...i have a 70 watt hps but if i can get more results for less power i am down with the LEDs. but wheres the best place to get them??

10. Shine Down

Shine Down plays in cabinets........

11. AlienBait

You will get better results with the 70 Watt HPS than you would with the LEDs. You could use them as suplimental lighting, but it would be much cheaper to use CFLs at this point in time. As the price comes down, though, it will be more cost effective.

I just don't want people to go out and spend a ton of money on LEDs and be disappointed at the results.

I am using four 65 count lights on a plant that is only 8 inches tall.

12. AlienBait

Thanks. I've got crystals growing on the fan leaves as well. I've never grown White Satin before, but I've read that it is a frosty strain.

13. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Hey AlienBait, That's one nice plant you got there, and nice bud shots too! :) Keep up the great report on your cup grow!:punk:

14. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

Still tuned in amigo...

Yeah AB:new_alien: Im looking forward to some visual updates,etc.... still tuned in:icon_salut:

15. AlienBait

Mr. GJ and Apprentice, thanks for stopping by. Always good to hear from you guys.

Here are a couple pics for this week. It is looking better. The buds are dense, hard, and as you can see, very frosty. I will probably let it go for 2 more weeks....well....maybe three more weeks. I'll know when the time comes.:eusa_shifty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Randy High

Randy High Organic Alumni

Yeah it does look good.

17. krondikebar

krondikebar In A Cloud Of Kush Smoke

hell yea dude, that thing is looking better and better every time you update. I cant wait to see the finished product.

Is this the only plant you are growing right now?

18. AlienBait

I've got a few other plants growing right now. Let me take you on a short tour of the Alien Gardens....:laughing5:

I am growing some tobacco:

[​IMG]

The tobacco is just about to flower:

[​IMG]

Here is a flower on my Eggplant:

[​IMG]

And some tomatoes:

[​IMG]

Squash and cucumbers:

[​IMG]

And finally, I'm going to try growing corn again this year:

[​IMG]

19. AlienBait

I'm also growing a DP White Widow. I am just over 6 weeks flowering :) . I've got about 2.5 weeks before I chop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

OK, now your just making me jealous with those last shots... LOL

Nice looking garden.....[​IMG]