Can a person get a Rx for medical pot to fight depression?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana' started by love2smoke, Aug 1, 2003.

1. love2smoke

love2smoke Begun Flowering

Can a person get a Rx for medical pot to fight depression? I suffer from chronic depression. I heard of people getting perscriptions for medicinal marijuana for back pain and cancer, but what about depression? That St.John's Wart, does nothing for my depression.

2. MellowDood

MellowDood weed eater

i highly doubt it. whatever it does to fight your depression is not recognized by psychiatrists. when trying to diagnose depression they will ask if the patient has been smoking weed 90% of the time.

3. adfaFd

adfaFd Begun Flowering

according to the government, and basically any psychiatrist you ask, pot CAUSES depression, so no way. then again, the federal government also claims that marijuana has no medical value, which we all know is wrong, so maybe your local gov. has a different opinion on whether or not it causes depression, too.

4. love2smoke

I was depressed long before I ever tried mj. And, mellowdood, I don't smoke pot 90% of the time. That's a stoner's dream. All I know is it is impossible to be depressed while high on weed.

5. hydro convert

hydro convert Developed Alternating Nodes

St John's wort is not meant for the treatment fo depression. If you may be looking for an herbal remedy, try SAM-e. They are recommended by psychologists to treat (non-medicinally) anxiety and depression. These are not prescription and are available at many health food stores, pronounced- sammies. Just another alternative; if you are truely seeking relief from depression, kinda like nature's prozac (and how do you think prozac is made? virtually same active ingredient, but in "organic" form)

6. adfaFd

adfaFd Begun Flowering

if you're looking for an actual medication for your depression, and not just a way to get a pot prescription, then you should just go to a psychiatrist and get some pills. i've never heard of SAM-e, but i doubt that any legal herb will help you unless you have extremely mild case of depression, which is the only case in which st. johns wort is supposed to be effective

7. Hicountry2

Hicountry2 Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I have a friend that is a med mj cardholder, that was diagnosed bi-polar about 5 yr ago. But I really don't know if his card was aquired in relation to it, as he has some physical limitations also. .."But"...I know when he doesn't have meds (mj) he can be a real prick. He isn't even the same character, I call it "going polar" rather than going postal ?? :lol:

8. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

I am a medical user. I am also bi-polar. My prescription is from hypo-manic bi-polar disorder and chronic headaches. All documented with Doctors and Hospitals. Bi-polar since I was 12, and migraines since I was 16. I am now 30, and anyone who says migraines aren't worthy of a MJ script have never had a migraine like the ones I get.

I highly doubt you would recieve a script just for depression though. Since, as many have already pointed out, 90% of the time the head-shrinkers will want to know if you smoke pot. If you do, they will tell you to stop smoking, and give you some anti-depressants since weed can cause depression. The thing about bi-polar syndrome is even though it includes depression, it also has the hyper-active mood swings, in which case smoking MJ will help to decrease the frequency and intensity of the mood swings.

Hope that helps.

9. greenthumb420

greenthumb420 Hash Engineer

You da man useless! My wife has chronic migraines and as you know i have all the meds i need and then some....she's always so concerned about being popped with a piss test though. I run the risk of the piss test too, but atleast i can function on a daily basis with the MJ. so i guess it's a case "damned if you do,damned if you don't" Does MJ help prevent migraines or make them them less severe when you have them if not both?

10. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

GT, Smoking is actually very good for decreasing the frequency of migraines. I went from at least one a week before I smoked regularly, to one every 1-2 months. I have also noticed that when they do come on, if I smoke as soon as I notice the symptoms it helps to level them off. My migraines will continue to get worse unless I can force myself to sleep (which is almost impossible because the migraine, I tend to focus on it) or smoke to help "contain" the intensity of the migraine. I can say that its not a miracle cure, it doesn't make the migraine "go away", but it does make them much more tolerable, which is something none of the drugs the Dr's gave me did. Plus, the drugs they gave me always made my stomach even more upset, where smoking tends to calm it down.

Hope that helps.

11. ClayStreet

ClayStreet Gypsy

sorry to hear about your migraines Useless. My mom suffered from them a lot through the years. Most of them were brought on by stress from the marriage. My dad was a hard man to live with (that is to say they're divorced now) She spent a lot of days in bed with a cold pack or heating pad on her head, even noise and bed movement would tear her apart. I know it's a bad deal. She couldn't take anything for them, and most times didn't feel like going to the hospital.

My Uncle has them as well (married into family). He decided to go to the doctor and he gets these shots (that are about $100 a pop) but afterwards he is able to sleep soundly for hours to get over it.

My mom read that macadamia nuts help with migraines, and she says it does help a little, but not a cure.

12. rangerdanger

rangerdanger ***Rest in Peace***

Marijuana does not help my (clinical) depression.

In fact, it can make it worse (something else to feel guilty about and another reason to stay inside).

It helps me greatly with stress though, which I also suffer from, as well as chronic back pain and imsomnia.

love2smoke, you may be confusing being depressed (which is normal and pot can help) with clinical depression, which is something else again.

13. DirtRokker

DirtRokker Germinated

I was diagnosed bi-polar. Problem is, all the doctors in my area are afraid to get involved in a card for fear of having thier licence pulled(thank john ashcroft)...and once again, damned if we doob, and damned if we dope.

14. love2smoke

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. Sometimes my depression is worse than others. Like I'll be fine for a week or 2 then these crying spells come on, and it's like this overwhelming sense of doom and destruction. My sister is bi-polar, I really don't see a manic side to her or me, and if I had Med. ins. I would go to a DR and get on some meds. immediately. At least I found a consoler that works for free, the trouble w/that is she's not a psychiatrist and can not prescribe anything. Also, free consolers are probably working on some kind of a degree while trying to help me. I am glad for the help, but I feel like a guinea pig.