Can Depression Get u Medical Mj?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana' started by BlazethatShiat, Dec 15, 2003.

1. BlazethatShiat

BlazethatShiat Veggy Stage

Can you get mj for depression? just asking if that is a way to get medical

2. hellostupid

hellostupid Stupid Iz. Stupid Duz.

:alien:Depression is considered a Serious Medical Illness...a Serontonin Level "Physical" Imbalance in your Brain.

:alien:Marijuana has been proven to Alleviate bout's of depression fer Some; and is even Safer than Aspirin!:shocked:

:alien:I'm not a doctor; but i would think that prescribing Marijuana for Depression should be legitimate, don't you? Doctors prescribe other drugs to combat Depression, so why not Marijuana?:shocked:

(Edited by ismoke2much at 10:14 pm on Dec. 14, 2003)

3. Craig

Craig New Sprout

Well said. If they can prescribe drugs like Prozac, Zoloft, Luvox or Zyprexa, all of which turn you into a total zombie, preventing you from being a productive member of society, then marijuana for depression makes more sense than orange juice in the morning - a happy worker is a busy worker.

(Edited by Craig at 3:25 pm on Dec. 15, 2003)

4. Craig

Craig New Sprout

(Results vary with these meds, but generally speaking, I've seen many people turn into nothing when they statrted taking them, including myself. I would fall asleep at the dinner table, gain massive amounts of weight, and couldn't keep a straight thought...I wasn't depressed - I wasn't anything! Some kind of solution...)

I should say that the only permanent fix for depression is an inner change - the kind that I, myself, went through. I was depressed to the degree of being suicidal - not a cry for help, but really not wanting to live anymore. What happened? I changed.

I major in psychology, and the best shrink will tell you that his job isn't to help people - it's to relieve people of their pain - ALWAYS. A quick fix never lasts. After all, if a shrink cured his patients, he'd be out of a job, right?

Medications, in some cases, will work for a while. They won't make you happy, but they can stay off your depression...but after some time, it stops working, and the patient reverts back to an even deeper depression and a despair, often associated with a feeling of impending doom.

Amendment: There is extensive research showing that a chemical imbalance in the brain is not the only componet in building depression, or even the predominant factor.

Amended portion: There is no proof that depression is an actual disorder. There are theories that it may be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, but even if this is true, (and I don't think it is) curing the imbalance would only take you so far.

-We all make mistakes. I try not to talk over the heads of others, and I sometimes oversimplify. Sorry.

(Edited by Craig at 3:46 pm on Dec. 15, 2003)

(Edited by Craig at 4:31 pm on Dec. 15, 2003)

5. Craig

Craig New Sprout

I know - I sure do have an awful lot to say tonight...

Quote: from ismoke2much on 10:12 pm on Dec. 14, 2003
    :alien:Depression is considered a Serious Medical Illness...a Serontonin Level "Physical" Imbalance in your Brain.

As I already stated, it is more accurate to say that depression isn't caused exclusively from a chemical imbalance.  This is obvious to me, even without acknowledging the convincing research, due to a couple of simple observations. If it was purely caused from a chemical imbalance:

A. Meds wouldn't stop working - higher doses would solve the problem.  

B. Those who suffer from the imbalance could not recover without the help of meds, or some way of offsetting the imbalance.

Both of these are untrue. Even without the research I've studied, which provides more convincing evidence(Again, I'm a psychology major,) you can see that the theory is faulty at best.

This is not to say that some people don't need medication for their imbalance - they do, and it's not uncommon. (About a 7/3 ratio, three prescribed actually having the imbalance.) But the pills alone won't cut it. Eventually, either the person changes, or they revert back. (At again, a discouraging ratio.)

I will talk to some people in the field about it, and post what I find out. I'll amend any errors, but I think it should be fairly accurate, or close enough to paint a good picture. I'll even take a bold step and ask them how marijuana could fit into the picture...

(Edited by Craig at 4:45 pm on Dec. 15, 2003)

6. elcajon555

elcajon555 A Fat Sticky Bud

Craig what are some none med/drug ways of helping with depression?

7. adfaFd

adfaFd Begun Flowering

edit - i think i was too stoned and i kinda misread your post... so sorry about this first part

craig you're completely wrong. why does every psychology textbook and doctor disagree with you?

and meds don't make you a zombie, at least they don't do that to me. maybe they did that to you but that just means you're taking the wrong ones or too high of a dose, or maybe meds just aren't for you. but they make me my old self again. extremely productive and ambitious instead of being depressed like i have been for the last ten years. i know it's not a permanent fix and therapy really does work just as good, but that doesn't mean meds can't help. they have made such a positive impact on my life it's amazing.

I agree that serotonin deficiencies might not be that actual cause of depression, but it is what causes all of the bad symptoms like sadness and no motivation. something else is probably causing you not to have enough serotonin, which is what therapy would help, but if you artificially raise serotonin with meds it can still make an immense improvement, and it solves the problems that you're trying to solve.

in other words, i think that something subconscious causes a chemical imbalance, and then that chemical imbalance causes depression. so the drugs that fix your imbalance do work, but they don't fix the problem of why that imbalance happened in the first place.

there's 2 sides to this. apparently for some people the meds don't help much, but for others they can make all the difference in the world.

the ONLY side-effect that i have from zoloft is that now i last much longer in the sack....

(Edited by adfaFd at 12:04 pm on Dec. 16, 2003)

8. greenthumb420

greenthumb420 Hash Engineer

I would say that the vast majority of Dr.'s think smoking pot can lead to depression not to mention that they also get kick backs for prescribing anti-depressants,especially the new ones.I would say more than likely if you went to a Dr. they would probably prescribe you anti-depressants first and not until you have tried several,then they might consider MJ. You can read all the guidelines for the different medical MJ states and mostly it is for pain and terminal conditions and being prescribed for anxiety and depression is a last resort.

9. Craig

Craig New Sprout

(I had to edit mine twice. :rolleyes: )

I must know this **** - I have to, otherwise I don't get my degree. Get it? Meds can help, are SOMETIMES necessary, but in themselves are never more than a temporary fix. Wait - you'll see.  Argue if you want, but I've went to school for several years to learn this - you might convince some of these other guys, but I KNOW better.

Information from the internet is often misleading, and could give someone the wrong idea. Of course a Zoloft ad is going to say that it can cure your problems - that's how they make money. Sit in a room with well-educated professors for eight years then come and talk to me. Once you get the inside view, you won't feel the same way, trust me.

If you really want to hear some effective and permanent methods of curing depression, I'll send you a message. Taking meds are most likely necessary for those who actually suffer from an imbalance, (that involves more than serotonin, by the way) but more times than not, is quite unnecessary, and by itself, not very effective. It is used as a placebo for those not afflicted with the imbalance. And I hate to say this guys, as I'm going into the field myself, but it's not uncommon for shrinks to LIE to you to make money. Period. You don't think a shrink gets money for pumping out products? Yeah, and Bush was probably telling the truth all along!

(Edited by Craig at 8:42 pm on Dec. 16, 2003)

(Edited by Craig at 8:44 pm on Dec. 16, 2003)

10. Craig

Craig New Sprout

And I am really sorry for taking this post completely off of the intended topic.

It might interest you to know that medical MJ is prescribed for appetite suppression, but almost exclusively to cancer patients. Might tell the doc you can't hold your ham, and see what happens. :ponder:

(Edited by Craig at 8:36 pm on Dec. 16, 2003)

11. Useless

Useless Diogenes Reincarnate

There is a list of literally 1000's of illness' and ailments which qualify for medical MJ in Cali.

Depression is among them, however, most Dr's will not recommend MJ for depression, as it is itself a depressent.

12. Craig

Craig New Sprout

Is it true that you won't be prosecuted for growing pot in some parts of California?

13. Mrs B

Mrs B Guest

Possibly, in some places.  It's still against federal law.  Your best hope in a case like that is in federal appeals court-- AFTER you get convicted.

As far as I know, docs will not prescribe mj for depression, just like useless said, even though some strains do help with it. The last bag I bought was horribly depressing-- it gave me a terrible sense of impending doom, but the SAGE I'm growing now is pure joy.

(Edited by Mrs B at 7:56 am on Dec. 17, 2003)

14. Doctor Ladyleaf

Doctor Ladyleaf New Sprout

Hi all.

I'm a science (biology) major, though i'm now doing botany research (great job for a nerdy stoner). Have done much study into this before i started pot and continously now that i am a user, also a lot of work in physiology, cell metabolism, hormone/nervous stystes and some nerurology. I do know that the golden rule of biology holds fast, that there are no rules. Considering genetics, plus your environmental conditions you were raised/now live in, there are a multitude of effects on your brain and psychology which are as induvidual as you are for exactly the same reasons. Some legal medications help others enormously, some do nothing and some agonise the situation.

I am ADD/ADHD (yes this is a condition, though it did NOT make me a angry, violent or uncontrollable kid or person now... I'm just a daydreamer whos concentration is hard to maintain even if strenously trying to remain on task. Learning patterns work differently,hence an attention deficit). I find newer ritalin helps when i'm studying, slows my talking speed down (a good thing, i think and talk fast!) and lets me make more well considered descisions rather than impatiently just trying something first. I got thorugh 3 years of uni well like this, was diagnosed last year and now i find it helps to have this medication when i do need lots of focus. But again, ritalin doesnt work for some and just hypes some up more.

This is a good analogy for mj. I know people who are severely depressed who smoked for a while and made it worse. They quit and were better. I have been depressed and stoned and depending on your mind set, the perspective given by mj has been negative. This was also in my early smoker days. Other times, much more often now, i've smoked and realised just how minor my problem was and how beautiful the world really is. Like alcohol and every other drug, it can always be taken to a bad place or a good place. Also, mj can make you mad, particularly if you have a genetic history of schizophrenia or take a lot of speed as well. THIS IS VERY RARE, if you have schizophrenic tendancies, the chances are that another major life event will trigger it eventally anyway. And i dont know how accurate it is but the people i know of who have had severe mental problems ensue also combine heavy smoking with frequent speed/ecstacy use. On their own, in principal, ecstacy is ok providing you do it in moderation (e.g. about once a month should be max usage). I dont do pills personally so i remind that this is just an observation, but i do know that pills burn out your serotonin and dopamine receptors eventally after frequent use, and this has long term mental effects.

Cannabinoid receptors are natural in your body everywhere, and thc mimicks a natural sedative your body produces, and so when you get stoned your receptors fill and eventally unload. This is why mj is so safe. No long term damage. But mentally, you just have to be sensible. If you feel mj is not for you, then dont use it. However, with experience you can learn to manage your stoned mind and turn it up for good, jedi like purposes. I find i can work stoned now, read stoned, study stoned, and absorb new aspects of what i am doing to get ideas that arent bollocks anymore (productive pipe dreams [​IMG]).

But again some wont find they can do this. I cant drink. Not even a few without feeling sick, stupid and slow. Thats my bodys way. Work out what yours is and just be sensible.

Remember, weed provides and altered state of conciousness, what you do and see with it is up to you. [​IMG]

15. doctorcalyx

doctorcalyx Full Flowering

i would just like to say i agree with what ladyleaf said. well said.

16. ClayStreet

ClayStreet Gypsy

nice to see some highly educated opinions around. [​IMG] Not to say people here so far haven't been , but some of the posts here led nowhere.. At least for some of mine, and besides, I could have just been stoned and was asking the wrong questions, or forgetting to ask at all :lmao:

You mentioned something about a study Dr. LadyLeaf? Doing research or whatever? Well pending paranoia I can help you all I can but I would like to donate my information to science if you are who you say you are. (hell on the net, everyone could be a doctor, lawyer, or gangster) I was just thinking the other day that it would be great to talk to some college level students or whatever in medical field everything I experience. (plus I know sometimes there's rewards for doing so, besides the possibility my information could help others.)

I'll send you a pm soon..

17. Mrs B

Mrs B Guest

Not that I'm a doctor, but I have read different things about the receptors-- some say THC binds to dopamine receptors and some say there are actual THC receptors. Also, the other cannabinoids seem to play a big role in how we respond to mj, particularly in differences between various strains.

18. Craig

Craig New Sprout

This might not be entirely accurate, but from what I've learned, LadyLeaf, no one knows how ritalin, a stimulant, can sometimes cure ADD/ADHD. There is a theory that ADD/ADHD is an overreaction to depression, in which case the stimulant removes the need for that reaction, but I don't know of anything that's been proven. Could you perhaps elaborate on this, I'm sure you know more than I do (and can express it more clearly than I can), and this is all very fascinating. I'm going to have to learn it sooner or later, anyway.

Peace

[​IMG]

(Edited by Craig at 9:12 pm on Dec. 21, 2003)

19. elcajon555

elcajon555 A Fat Sticky Bud

My understanding of ADD and ritalin is as follows. People who have Add parts of their brain are moving/processesing faster then the rest of the brain and what ritalin does is it speeds up the slower parts of the brain to meet the accelerated part therefore equalizing, therefore stopping ADD. Now this is just the lamans understanding, don;t know how accurate it is, but I thought I share.

20. ClayStreet

ClayStreet Gypsy

I had ADD as a kid , and ritalin helped me. Now a days all I hear is that ritalin makes kids freak out!! I was more mellow on ritalin. Could concentrate better. I only took it about a year though. Doctor kept testing me and said I was doin well and took me off and continued to test I guess I evened out or something.. oh and I was 8 yrs when I was put on it.

But I don't know enough about ADD I guess to wonder if ADD is a lifelong thing, was it cured in my case or perhaps just the medicine slowly wore off..?? Is there a link between ADD and depression?

Also something interesting I found. I got in to taking the following pills on a daily basis for about a year: Gotu Kola, soy Lecithin, Ginko Biloba, Choline and Garlic Gelcaps (the stinky ones hehehe). I did these because I thought maybe I could replace some of those destroyed brain cells I lost inhaling butane for 2 yrs. , stimulating the mind with herbal capsules.. Anyway about 7 months into it I began to completely freak out mentally just having thoughts racing and never stopping, it was hard to sit and relax or even sleep because I just kept thinking about anything and everything I couldn't stop!! sounds goofy I know but it was like a think floodgate had opened and recycled constantly.

At that time I was not smoking weed , drinking, or doing anything that would cause me to otherwise be intoxicated.

well needless to say I quit taking them, because I was gettin mentally exhausted a lot when I was the least bit unstimulated.. (like it didn't bother me at work.. because I could watch everything at once and keep myself occupied) it took about 2 weeks for me to normal out. I never tried taking those again.

(Edited by ClayStreet at 4:21 am on Dec. 23, 2003)