cfls cfls cfls

Discussion in 'DIY' started by drifter421, Feb 21, 2008.

1. drifter421

drifter421 Germinated

i'm very interested in cfls for several reasons, the primary being available electrical load. any info or do it yourself ideas appreciated

2. ishmeil

ishmeil cannabis connoisseur

not sure of your question?

it is fairly simple to have a CFL grow, you can have 100 watts of CFL and flower a plant with average results, but itll still yield results.

clairfy your question, its vague, to me anyway.

3. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

Check out the Micro Grow link in my signature

It has lots of CFL grows

4. Fretgod

Fretgod Excommunicated

nothing wrong with cfls, you might have to use a bunch of them to get a good yeild though

5. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

cfl's are nice for veg IMO 6500k on the spectrum and energy efficient they also don't get terribly hot in comparison to an HID. A good MH will give you a better spectrum and growth. A few weeks under cfls get the babies goin good till they are ready for the oven. By oven i just mean HID whether it's halide or sodium my case the latter. I cannot wait to buy a house so i can have more room to spread the ladies out. ramble ramble puff ramble. Lol DSP

6. drifter421

drifter421 Germinated

it was a general question

i hear alot of people downing flouresent but it's going to be my only choice because i don't have the electrical capacity for hid. i'm popping breakers in my house all the time already on just my appliances and tvs. so im going to rob a couple hundred watts from each circut. (really old house) i just don't want to waste the time if it isn't workable and ive heard that said. just looking for any imput about cfls: warnings, advice, ideas, ect.

i'm going to go high and rambleing

good growing all

7. ishmeil

go with CFLs, definatley opposed to fluroescent

however many watts you are using now, in CFLs, will be better for your plants.

if you can use the fluroescents, you wil be able to use CFLS, just as easily, but with better results.

8. drifter421

drifter421 Germinated

thanx to all

i want to thank everyone for their advice and opinions, please keep it coming.

i'm sure there are those out there (myself included) who are limited to cfls be it by money, power, heat ventilation limitations, ect...

"i'm blue, if i was green i'ld be fried, if i was green i'ld be fried"

9. sectguitar

sectguitar Guest

try two of these in a 4x4 grow space and watch what happens!

http://www.1000bulbs.com/105-Watt-Compact-Fluorescent/31295/

cfl's kick ass for the money and energy.... dont use 6 or 7 little ones when you can get one big MOFO to do the job RIGHT! it is full spectrum so it is great for the whole growing cycle.

10. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Those will work!

11. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

The only advantage i saw when setting up a veg chamber that multiple cfl's had over buying one biggun. The smaller ones can be spread out to cover more area and they can be bought at any home improvement store for minimal prices when it's time to replace them. DSP

12. hygrade

hygrade _________________________

hey sect,do you have to have a separate ballast for those?i got one similar,only 65 actual watts and it needed the separate ballast,so i took it back.i would like to get a couple myself if i don't need the extra ballasts,thanks

13. ishmeil

yea hg428 its all about the plug and play for me, that is why i dont have HID lighting (part of the reason anyway), all of this ballast talk and extra shit than screwing in a light bulb goes over my head just a little bit, im sure i could figure it out,and i should , asyou can pick up a 250 watt HID for less than a bill.

14. sectguitar

sectguitar Guest

nope! no ballast needed! just med. base. just plug and play.:smokin:

15. hygrade

hygrade _________________________

sweet.thanks sect,much appreciated

16. GberT

GberT Developed Alternating Nodes

mothers and entire veg can be done with ease under those suckers. personally i use em to sprout seeds for a week or so.

17. sectguitar

sectguitar Guest

no prob hygrade

18. drifter421

drifter421 Germinated

new toyi just saw a "plug in outlet adapter" in another form i frequent. it plugs into a cord and receives a light bulb. didn't look like it would handle alot of juice, but i think it would be perfect for cfl's, medium ones anyway. dude gave price as two dollars, perfect for a budget grow. will try to include pic though not sure how!

plug in outlet adapter.jpg

/monthly_2008_03/57a6c99d816dd_pluginoutletadapter.jpg.18893c1dc0ba4ff89674677cf8311cef.jpg

ResinRubber likes this.
  19. drifter421

drifter421 Germinated

ha ha it worked

20. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

I've seen people use several of those plugged into a power strip for an easy light board.