Choosing Skunk for a male plant for breeding seeds?

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by Justcheckingitout, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Any feedback on if Skunk would be a good choice for a Male plant for breeding seeds? What's the pro's con's of this strain for breeding? I am going to get some skunk seeds and will be getting at least one/three males out of the batch probably, and figured it would be a start to my seed breeding adventure. I plant to mix it with a couple of different strains. I know that I'm not going to get super killer new strains or anything like that out of the project, just wanted to try it and go from there. Does this sound like a good starting point?

Also, when growing a male for breeding, is there anything special that needs to be done as far as what to feed the plant etc? Or just grow the plant as normal till it's time to collect the pollen?

2. JuggaloKing420

JuggaloKing420 Just clownin around

There's no way to know the quality of the male(s) until you grow out their offspring. That being said, look for traits you want, structure, smell, size. IMO, you don't want to use the fastest flowering males.

I feed males like I do females, but I don't use any boosters.

3. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Jugg, why not?

I'm no breeder, but I would think you would select a male based upon the traits you want in the strain you are making, and fast flower times is one of the few desirable traits one could look for in a male cannabis plant. Meaning you can't look for big buds, etc. in males, or smoke quality, etc. cuz they don't make buds and we don't smoke em.

Also, if you get one or two males, the selection isn't too hard since the pool from which you are selecting is so shallow. I'd take the biggest, most robust and healthiest. If you can notice a difference in flower times in the males, I would be inclined to take the fastest flowering.

4. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

I think Skunk makes a great male to increase yield. Look at some of the greatest strains and they are part Skunk #1. Just my one and a half cents.

5. JuggaloKing420

Supposedly, the fastest flower times lean more towards the reuderalis(sp) side of things, giving you more autoflowers. I've only chucked pollen once so I could be wrong. Just from what I've read and my 1 experience.

6. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Interesting. My understanding is that if there's no ruderalis in the lineage there should be none in the offspring. It would be like an indica strain suddenly exhibiting auto (ruderalis) tendencies.

My guess, yes guess, is that since males tend to flower 2-4 weeks earlier than females that they are somewhat indifferent to longer light cycles. Once maturity kicks in they'll be more likely to bud under longer light periods than a female of the same strain. I do know fully mature males can flower while running 18 hours light.

Just a guess...but now you got me thinking. There's got to be research on this somewhere. :read2:

7. JuggaloKing420

Just to clarify, I seriously doubt whichever Skunk JCIO is working with will have this trait. I was just giving out my opinion. Without knowing what exactly is in these strains, we have little to go with besides guess work. Maybe I'm just irritated with my own project so I'm harping on this one issue.

BUT, I'm dealing with this problem in my own grow. I made f2's from OGRaskal's Fire Alien Urkle, which has all photoperiod parents. So I'm working with OG Kush (Fire cut), Alien Kush (Alien Technology x Las Vegas Purple Kush), and Purple Urkle. Now I have no idea where Urkle, LVPK, and Fire OG come from, or their lineage, but I've done more than my fair share of research on Alien Tech. These all are photoperiod plants.

Seems to me that poor selection from the original Alien Kush f1's have spread out this recessive gene that like's to show up in f2's and later. The breeder Alien from Alien Genetics has a strain, Lemon Alien Dawg, that throws up autoflowers as well.

8. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

The first suspect would be something recessive in the Purp lineage. Not from experience, just from reading a few growers who ended up with early herms showing up in late veg on outcrosses from Mendo Purp lines. That would be the Urkle.

Just stoned speculation though. :passsit: Not a breeder...just read a lot.

9. JuggaloKing420

No it definitely comes from the Alien side of things. Urkle and purps have been used over and over, but I've never heard of an autoflower problem with them. Anywho, sorry for the thread jack...Carry on.

10. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Like JR said above seems Skunk #1 is the foundation of many legendary crosses. I doubt you will go wrong using it

11. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

It's sensi skunk, I think it's just basic old school strain, they sell 10 beans for $45 u.s.d. It's a 45-50 day indoor flower time, 100 gm2. But I thought the same thing, it's been a fundamental base strain for mixing strains so I figure, I'd try it out, some of the stuff mentioned in this thread is pot masters degree collage to me...:roffl: but I am glad to learn anything I can, So with out having a lot of males to work from, I'll will have to take what I can get or choose from the few I might get for this first run, maybe down the road on my next seed purchase, I will get some other reg strain beans and see what males I can get from them, I wished I would have saved some pollen or got involved with this adventure along time ago, when I had a lot of room to grow. But you live and you grow...:bong-2: