Clone question "Alt Nodes"

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by Justcheckingitout, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

I've got two plants from seed that are stretching a little. They don't have alt nodes yet but they have major side branches, Can I clone one of the side branches and save the main cola bud for the top. My main worry is that since the plant is not all staggered alt nodes....is it good enough to clone off the side branches would the whole Plant have to be alt noded to get good clones from? I've always started at the top once the plant started getting alt nodes, but the side branches are looking good. and I wanted t save the main cola buds.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
  2. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

My understanding is the highest concentration of root stimulating hormones are locatedin the lowest axial branches. Therefore they tend to root faster then the tops. I've always taken my clones from the lowest axial branches.... I also believe a plant grown from seed will continue to grow symmetrically in veg.

The clones will alternate nodes once rooted... Just read that in Cervantes medical growers bible.

3. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Yep I believe that the lower branches clone easier. and as to your original question, I do not know for sure if a plant needs to have alt nodes ( i.e. have reached maturity) before taking cuts. When growing from seed I always wait until I see alt nodes before I flower, but I think the clones from immature plants will do fine.

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Gonna be a funny lookin' plant sport. :icon_confused::redbong: but whatever floats yer boat. Yeah, you can cut the side branches for clones. They'll be at the same maturity as the plant they were taken from so may mature a little slowly.

Never noticed if cuts from the tops or sides root more quickly. Good to know. :thumbsup:

5. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Learn something new every day. :coool:I'm reading an article in HT right now about George. :redbong:

6. Bigbud214

My current run was from seed... It was 45 days from the day the broke ground until I flipped them. There was no sign of alt nodes. They also had reached 18" tall. I couldn't wait much longer, they be way to tall. And I'm my brief experience I've never seen a plant from seed develop alt nodes in veg. The cuts however, from those plants, once rooted grew with alt nodes. I just received some beans from The Rev, cultivation editor at Skunk magazine. He recommends vegging his genetics for at least 55 days before flipping. Says it will result in highest resin production. James from Loud seeds recommends vegging for 30 days...

In my 3 yrs of growing I've never had a plant from seed show alt nodes no matter how long I vegged them. Maybe my closet doesn't allow it...LOL.

I'm sure my experience is unique. I'm no botanist, just a learn as I go guy. However according to Jorge Cervantes plants from seed continue to grow symmetrically in veg. He knows a lot more than me lik

7. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

This is what I am talking about, the Northern Lights, from seed, I have are almost 3 feet tall now and have no sign of alt nodes, I thought the one was but when the top branches grew out, they were even as steven....:roffl: I have to go back and edit my grow thread on them because I had posted they were getting alt nodes but didn't. It's been 13 years since I grew from seed, So I am just gong to clone one of the lower brancehes, maybe two to be on the safe side, but I can take a clone and work wonders with it....:thumbsup: The side brancehes are almost a foot long with nice looking clone subjects at the end of them. I always have some extra seeds just in case. :jj:

Oh and the lower branches might be better to clone, but I have always used the tops because of hight restrictions, they work out fine.

8. Bigbud214

Tops work fine just take a bit longer to root than a lower branch. And for my set up taking the lower branches allows the plant to focus energy on the tops... Also I take at least 2 clones just in case one damps off or doesn't root for whatever reason.

Does anyone who grows from seed see alt nodes in veg?

I'm curious cause ive read growth remains symmetrical in veg until flowering is initiated. This has been my experience too

9. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

I've grown out lots of seeds, and always got alt nodes. No idea that some plants don't develop them until flower. I always waited for alt nodes before I flipped, thinking that the plant wasn't mature and ready to flip till alt nodes appeared.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn otherwise, and frankly I would like to feel comfortable flipping BEFORE I see alt nodes. Sometimes waiting is very hard for me. :icon_confused:

Just as an anecdotal example, the Choco rain and KQxBH all had alt nodes from seed approx 5 weeks veg time.

10. Bigbud214

I'm sure I am an anomaly....