Clone Scotty Clone, or, Lights For Clones

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by ScottyG420, Jan 13, 2012.

1. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Wait much longer and your gonna be planting those babys with the net baskets on them!!:roffl::roffl::roffl:
    t6

2. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

My shit is fucked up again. I have one cutting whose stem actually fell off into the water. I have a few others that are just mush. Pics coming.

[​IMG]

Here's the one whose stem just fell off. This is it's dismembered stem in the pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have no idea how these stems end up so soggy. The water temp never got above 74 degrees. One night it did get down to 65, but I kicked on the baseboard heater in that room and the temps came up to 74 withing a few hours.

3. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Are you somehow damaging the inner core of the stem? That could cause them to do that. There's no reason why your setup shouldn't work. I made a bubble cloner that worked excellent, but once or twice I had a cutting that I think I handled too roughly when inserting it into the disk that held them in place and those cutting's stems turned to mush and they died.

4. ScottyG420

Hrmmmmm...I certainly wouldn't rule that out. I feel like I'm being gentle with them. I have to take the cutting in my grow house and then bring them inside. I have cobbled together a warm transport container for the cuttings so they won't be exposed to this Arctic air (45 below right now. 51 below when I woke up this morning).

Shit. I feel like I'm letting you guys down. :cry:

5. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Wonder what kind of water you have. Lets try this again check the water temp in the bucket and if its 77 leave the room the same temp.

Start again read the cutting section and lets reload. Dont use any wilted cuts and dont put any peroxide in either.

t6

6. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

I am asking this in general, but could your "cobbled together warm transport container" be killing them in the short time they are in transit?

7. ScottyG420

I'm on a well and I have seriously hard water. We have a softener that helps a little bit. But even still, it's still pretty hard. Without that softener, I dont even know if I could lather up soap. I'd also have mineral stains on my white clothes. I've lived on well water before w/out a softener and my white clothes began turning up with spotty brown stains on them.

8. ScottyG420

Could be. I might be getting them too warm. But they are only in there for a few minutes. I'd take the whole cloner out there and do it, but I can monitor it so much easier in the house.

9. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Holy shit dont use any water from a water softener it has salt in it and will kill the cuttings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

t6

10. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I was thinking the same thing. Water softeners are no good for gardening with. Ur better off with water that has some calcium and minerals in it than softened water.

11. ScottyG420

I had no idea about that.
    Man this is like a detective mystery. So what are my alternatives? Distilled water? Spring water(which still has some minerals)? Filtered drinking water w/no minerals (like Aquafina).

Here's the cloner now. I removes the dead cuttings and used the knockouts to cover the vacated holes in the lid.

[​IMG]

12. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Well now we know probably what the problem is. Ok screw the house water lets go buy enough bottled spring water to fill the cloner and have some extra on hand. Then lets clean the cloner and reload

t6

13. ScottyG420

Roger that! How much time do I have from taking the cutting to getting it into water? As soon as I slice the cuttings off the plant, I put them into water and leave them there as I work them one by one into the cloner. Would it be possible to cut them off the plant and then bring them in dry?

I make all my final trims and stem-45-degree-angle cuts in water, then I put them in the cloner.

14. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Bottled drinking water like Aquafina would probably be cost prohibitive. Just as well, since it's really no different than most processed waters. Distilled water is what I use for taking cuttings or germinating seedlings. It has good pH and no dissolved solids.

You could try using your well water before it passes through the water softener (if there is not one already, install a spigot in the line before the softener). If it's as hard as you describe, there's a good chance you'll experience lockout issues.

Your best bet will probably be a RO (reverse osmosis) filtration system with some type of holding tank. This you would also install before the softener, and will basically give you an endless supply of distilled water.

Scotty your "never surrender" approach to success in cloning is nothing short of inspirational. Every time I read this thread I feel like I can do anything. Keep at it brother.

ScottyG420 likes this.
  15. ScottyG420

Buying water just for this small cloner I'm using wouldn't be a problem.

So, what's the best bet then? Distilled or Aquafina-type filtered drinking water? We always have a lot of store bought water on hand.

16. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Go for the Spring Water not distilled!!!!!!!! its the minerals in the water that the plant will try to feed on in the final rooting before the leaves start to yellow.

Take the cuttings and put them in the water just like I told ya and go thrue the order of things.

Ro water isnt needed for these clones

t6

17. ScottyG420

OK. Wow. Could it be that we're getting to the bottom of this? :thumbs-up:

18. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Well not positive Scotty. Usually there is a separte drinking line on a house that is not affected by the sofener. But in your case were not taking a chance. Well try it one round with the spring water and see what happens. Dont cheat god damn it follow the directions.

t6

19. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

ok This just hit my mind also. If we gotta take those clones from the far building in -45 or what ever the degree is...........................

Get a damn styrofoam cooler and put the cuts in there in the water container and they should stay warm to journey over to the house.

Just remember Ya Gotta Hoof it over there!!!!!

t6

20. ScottyG420

Wow. Thanks for letting me know that bro! I figured I'm not the only one.

:passsit:

T6- Should I scrap the remaining 4 clones? They appear to still be viable. Do you think they would survive the conversion to different water?