Cloning Devices - beginner questions

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by DXE, Jan 19, 2015.

1. DXE

DXE Moderator

OK - been doing all my cloning the old fashon way - nice cuts into root plugs in cups under the dome. Good success rate but maybe its worth looking at the cloning devices out there.

Best I can tell there are two types/price points:

Devices like Clone King around 50$

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NRQJC0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Devices like Botnicare - around $300

http://www.amazon.com/Botanicare-HSCL48-Plant-Clone-Machine/dp/B004BNYEUY/ref=sr_1_31?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1421700953&sr=1-31&keywords=cloning+machine

Whats the difference ??

What exactly do these use??

Do you still use root plugs or do you have to use some other kind of vendor specific media??

HELP!!!!!!

2. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

They come with neoprene inserts. I use the EZ-Cloner 32 site. I think some different manufacturers make different size inserts. The inserts are not expensive and you can use them a couple of times. Most people just fill to the bottom of the sprayers without any additives. 10-14 days and you'll have roots. As far as I can tell the only difference is the price you pay. I use to use a homemade one and I get slightly better results with the EZ-Cloner. About 98% for homemade and just about everytime with the EZ-Cloner 100%. I only had a couple not get roots once with the EZ-Cloner

3. DXE

DXE Moderator

Dumb question

What do you move the rooted cut to - direct to soil?

Also - do you dome these things???

I am used to rooting in a root plug.......

4. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

I have both a Clone King 36 site and a Botanicare 45 site. The Botanicare is way better, BUT they both work the same if that makes sense. I get 100% success in both, but the Botanicare is easier to use and better engineered.

Here are the features the Botanicare has that the Clone King does not:

A dome, an air pump and stone, a light proof cord system, and their holes for the neoprene inserts are tapered such that you just push them down in. With the clone king, if you push too hard the insert pops through.

But the Clone King def works, so I dunno if all those features really matter in the end.

5. DXE

DXE Moderator

Do you use a dome with these .

Also what goes in the liquid.

6. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

I got buddies that have em all...but the group always backs the EZ CLONER brand

I have 3 myself, 2 of em are over 5 years old

Plain water, no ANYTHING, please trust me when I say this...all that gobbly goop that people put in their cloners get into the system and create harmful bacteria after a while, then you end up getting lesser success rates down the line....use PLAIN water...no PH up or down, no superthrive, no nutes, no cloner gels, root hormones...NOTHING!!!!

No domes, but use minimal lighting to keep the desire to live so they root correctly

When it is time to clean...empty dirty water, scrub out with nothing but plain water and a good brush...then rinse and refill with fresh water....I take a small pipe cleaner and push it thru the sprayers to get any type of small roots or plant matter out of the machine so its clean as possible........then plug it all back in and let it run overnight....ADD 1 BOTTLE OF 3% REGULAR STORE BOUGHT PEROXIDE to the water and let it go for about 24hours/overnight......then empty, rinse and then your ready to clone again

Been doing it this way for about 5.5-6 years with the same 2 machines and always smooth sailing, adding anything does diddly squat, been there myself

7. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

EZ-Cloner is also tapered. Never used a dome. You can move your rooted clones into anything. Once they have roots you can do what you want with them, soil, hydro, hempy or throw them away. Just plain water. You can use any type of cloning gel or solution but I have found that just water works just as well and you don't have to worry about slime or any other issue. I have left them in too long and have used the cloner as a vegging spot for a couple dozen clones till I had room for them.

8. friendlyfarmer

Nothing but water. I used to use rooting hormone in powder or gel, but no more. The last two runs I didn't use anything and they rooted faster I think.

It's really plug n play. And BTW I have not noticed the airstone makes any difference either.

I do not use a dome anymore, but I like having it just in case. If you can keep the RH from dropping to un-readable levels you won't need it.

I use 2 two-foot long t-8 floros for clones.

9. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

I have the clone king and have had great success with it. No dome, and I just use a 40 watt full spectrum light bulb while they root. After that it is straight into 4 inch pots and under the main lights.

I think I have only had about 3 that failed to root.

10. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

EZ-cloner is the ticket. I've got a 32 that I've had forever and a 64 for about 3 years now. T-8 probably works the best but cfl's work fine. Like others said, don't get the light too close or the leaves will turn yellow. Tap water that's sat long enough to evaporate the chlorine. Keep the res temps in line and you'll have roots before you know it.

The room the cloners are in can get cool when it's frigid out so I'll use a dome sometimes to protect them from the cold. But as a general rule, not necessary.

Be Cool, CG

11. DXE

DXE Moderator

SO I got my EZ-Cloner today. Looks simple enough!!!

So I fill my resi with plain water, no humidity dome and stick my cuts in there??

I set up a heat mat to keep the resi at 78 degrees F. The ambient in the room is 77F.

I setup a small LED array above the cuts.

Anything else?? Is a room temp of 77 ok??

12. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Established Healthy Roots

I just bought the parts and pump at Home Depot to build this cloner... http://forum.growkind.com/showthread.php?t=41642#.VMJ4d9LF_Q1 I don't need a very big one, and this seems to fill the bill.

ps a pool skimmer filter makes a good filter bag to put a pump in... You can get 1/2 doz of the filters for 6-7$...

13. DXE

DXE Moderator

Just took 18 cuts and put them in the cloner and fired it up....

Will post pics as this goes along...

14. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Happy cloning

15. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

No heat mat...colder the better

16. friendlyfarmer

Not that the heat mat will keep the res at 78, but 78 it a bit warm for the res. Mine are around 65

17. DXE

DXE Moderator

transplant

So my little cloneing machine has been chugging away for a week now. When I get home later will be checking the root growth (been away for a few days).

This question is for those of you who use these machines and grow in soil..

When I am ready to move them from the cloner into solo cups - how wet should the medium be? what to you do to reduce transplant shock - do you dome them for a couple days??

Thanks!!!!!

18. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

I have never used a dome with clones in the solo cups. I just drench the soil really good after I transplant into dry soil. I use dry and powdery promix to fill the cups and just hold the clone where I want it as I am filling.

19. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

I do pretty much the same thing. I take a 1 gal pot and a 20 oz solo cup, fill the solo cup with powdery dry soil and place in the center of the pot.

Fill the surrounding area with soil and water well leaving the cup dry.

Take the cup out and hang the roots of the clone in the hole, then pour the dry soil from the cup around the roots to fill the hole and press lightly. Water the dry soil and throw a little hand full of soil on top to even things out. Then just watch it grow.

And I have to agree with CC on the heat. I've found cooler is better and you don't get nearly the slime buildup. Which means fewer res changes.

Be Cool, CG

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  20. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

No heat, just room temp. Plant like normal. I just make sure that the roots have a deep enough hole so they will grow down and not circle the cup (pot, whatever). For hydro I let them stay in the cloner longer so the roots will be past the bottom of the net pot and into my buckets.