Cloning in Soil

Discussion in 'Backed up FAQ files' started by snickelfritz, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snickelfritz

snickelfritz Weed College Hall Monitor

Cloning in soil, contributed by Hicountry2:

The cutting as it was taken from the donor plant.

[​IMG]

Lower leaves trimmed off to accomodate planting. The spots where leaves have been taken provide growth spots for roots to start. With cuts like this scrapeing or scarification is not needed "IMHO"
    [​IMG]

45* cut, out of focus, but you can see the steep angle of the cut.
    [​IMG]

I leave the cuts soaking for 10-15 minutes in ph adjusted water. Lately I use a weakened kelp solution. I don't feel the kelp necessary however.
    [​IMG]

A final cut at a 45* angle underwater. Aids in prevention of an 'air bubble' blocking the mainstem
    [​IMG]

Rooting hormone... make sure the cut is well coated. I remove excess by tapping the cutting briskly with a flick of the finger.
    [​IMG]

Hormoned and ready to plant.
    [​IMG]

Planting... Holes should be large enuf that the stem slips easily in without scrapeing off the rooting hormone.
    [​IMG]

Press the medium firmly around the stem.
    [​IMG]

I use plexiglass on top of the tupper ware container as a humidity dome. Remove it twice a day, for an hour or so, every day extending the time off, untill at the end of 7 days it can be removed completely. I only mist 'spareingly' if I see wilting dureing dome off. Clones need warm temps to root. 70-75 F is about ideal, in my experience. Roots should be visible in 7-10 days, another 7-10 they're ready for big pots.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.