Coconut Oil

Discussion in 'The 'Kind Kitchen' started by MellowDood, Oct 8, 2010.

1. MellowDood

MellowDood weed eater

*fingers crossed* I finally found a quality supplier through a friend of mine, so next week I should have a nice little stash. My last foray into cooking was Ghirardelli box brownies with coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. They were very potent, but I'm always trying to improve my craft. Since then I purchased a crock pot and digital thermometer so that I can more closely regulate the oil's cooking temperature. So, can anyone give me some guidance on specific temperatures and cooking time to maximize potency?

I'm going to run a number of experiments but would like to get some opinions for a good starting point. Usually I just cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes then make the brownie mix and continue cooking for about 20 minutes while the brownies bake. This time I want to make about 10 small batches of oil (various experiments) and use the oil to make chocolate treats and/or capsules.

2. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

Coconut oil instead of butter? Huh! Never heard of it, but go for it!

Ive always used a stick and a half of butter into the crock pot, dump in an oz of dry bud/trim (run thru a blender first, to pulverize), than two or three cups of water. I set the crockpot on LOW and let it go overnight or for five or six hours at least. Strain off, let chill, lift off the hardened layer of cannabutter.

I use any brownie mix and melt the required amount of butter, use it instead of oil and bake as directed. They always turn out fabulous--my last batch was SO potent that a half a brownie was plenty.

Now...does coconut oil harden? Because..if it doesnt get hard, how will you extract it from the water?

Dixie

3. MellowDood

MellowDood weed eater

Coconut oil is 90%+ saturated fat, which makes it the best oil I know for extracting cannabinoids. It hardens "around" room temperature, so depending on your preference 72-78 it can be solid or liquid on your kitchen counter, but it definitely hardens in the refrigerator. However, I've never used the method with water. I just cook the weed directly in the oil.

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

No need to pulverize the weed, THC is fat soluble and will leach out from the leaves/bud during heating. Putting it in a blender only ensures more small plant particles will get through the straining into your final product.

For the H2O/oil method a couple hours is more than sufficient for "cooking' the butter/oil. A slow simmer below 300F is best. Much more than that and you risk losing THC since it's volatile at 365F/185C (pretty sure it's around that temp). I like to use 2 cups water to every cup butter/oil when simmering.

For straight into the oil then straining low temps near 200F/93C and frequent (not constant) stirring are your friends. Maybe a half hour "cooking" time then strain.

Have fun Mellow!

5. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I use a Crock Pot to make my butter. I've never tried it with oil, but I don't see why it wouldn't work the same way. I use the low heat setting on the Crock Pot and I allow it to simmer for several hours. Last time I let it simmer for 8 hours I think and my butter was the most potent I have ever made. I made some Turtle Cakes (Chocolate cupcakes sliced in half and then filled with a layer of caramel and topped with fudge icing). Holy cow!, 1 of them would put down a rhino! I used 2 pounds of butter (real unsalted) and at least 2 ounces of good trim, strained through an old shirt once it was finished.

6. Stash2.0

Stash2.0 Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

coco oil makes the best ecibles in my opinion....plus its gluton free !

7. Vernon

Vernon Germinating

At my opinion coconut oil is a coconut oil benefits guide & directory about natural & organic oil of coconut, weight loss, and diet. It also includes coconut oil information on where to buy coconut oil raw & unrefined.

8. Dixie Hicky

AGAIN with the coconut oil? Who cares? Use any kinda damn oil you want. Use hog fat. Yak butter, chicken fat, whale blubber...seriously, who cares? If Im eating a marijuana cookie/brownie/gingerbread, it AINT the fat used that matters.

Dixie

9. Chronic Don

Chronic Don Daddy of RP & GG

wouldnt freezing the water oil mix let you pour off the oil?

10. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

mmmm...... yak butter.......

I'd like to try coco oil, or another oil.

I made butter last time, and the smell makes me gag. I had to air out my house because it made me sick to my stomach. I've got a jar of it I still haven't used because the thought of smelling it makes me urp a little!

Does the oil have a strong smell?

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

11. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Your always going get the strong smell while cooking the weed into the oil no matter what you use. There might be a cold infusion method around that could make sense. I'd drop Skunky a PM on something like that. Being a lab rat it's possible he could come up with something.

cheers,

12. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Coconut oil does solidify at cooler temps, even just cellar temps will solidify it. You could separate the oil and water easily by just refrigerating the mix.

13. Dixie Hicky

It only smells bad while the weed is still in the butter. Once you strain it and dump the weed, the butter smells fine.

Dix