DEA should change their name to Round Up Inc.

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by Max Rockatansky, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky Hurricane wrestler.......

98 Percent Of All Domestically Eradicated Marijuana Is "Ditchweed," DEA Admits

September 7, 2006 - Washington, DC, USA

Washington, DC: More than 98 percent of all of the marijuana plants seized by law enforcement in the United States is feral hemp not cultivated cannabis, according to newly released data by the Drug Enforcement Administration's (DEA) Domestic Cannabis Eradication/Suppression Program and the Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics.

According to the data, available online at: http://www.albany.edu/sourcebook/pdf/t4382005.pdf of the estimated 223 million marijuana plants destroyed by law enforcement in 2005, approximately 219 million were classified as "ditchweed," a term the agency uses to define "wild, scattered marijuana plants [with] no evidence of planting, fertilizing, or tending." Unlike cultivated marijuana, feral hemp contains virtually no detectable levels of THC, the psychoactive component in cannabis, and does not contribute to the black market marijuana trade.

Previous DEA reports have indicated that between 98 and 99 percent of all the marijuana plants eradicated by US law enforcement is ditchweed.

NORML Executive Director Allen St. Pierre criticized the DEA program for spending millions of taxpayers' dollars to predominantly eradicate wild hemp. "The irony, of course, is that industrial hemp is grown legally throughout most the Western world as a commercial crop for its fiber content," he said. "Yet the US government is spending taxpayers' money to target and eradicate this same agricultural commodity."

According to a 2005 Congressional Research Service report, "The United States is the only developed nation in which industrial hemp is not an established crop."

St. Pierre said that most of the hemp plants eradicated by law enforcement are remnants of US-government subsidized crops that existed prior to World War II. "Virtually all wild hemp goes unharvested and presents no legitimate threat to public safety," he said. "As such, it should be of no concern to the federal government or law enforcement."

According to DEA figures, Indiana reported seizing over 212 million ditchweed plants - far more than any other state. Missouri law enforcement confiscated some 4.5 million plants, and Kansas reported eradicating approximately 1.2 million plants. More than half of all states failed to report their ditchweed totals.

California led all 50 states in the number of cultivated cannabis plants eradicated in 2005, with the DEA reporting that more than 2 million plants had been destroyed.

The Domestic Cannabis Eradication/Suppression Program is a joint federal and state effort funded, in part, by the DEA.

How FUCKING stupid is that?!?!

Million of dollars every years to get rid if feral hemp?!?!?!

MADDER THAN HELL MAX

2. trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms Latae Sententiae Excommunication

goes to show you what a waste our govt. really is...... let alone the millions the poloticians steal in bribes and payoffs etc.

3. med4me

med4me Guest

ditchweed.. dillweed....dickweed.

I laughed so hard when I read ditchweed in a gov report.... how about feral meth labs.... how many of those did they round up?:eek:

I really think their pants are on backwards.

4. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

And we all thought politicians and govt agencies were a bunch of money hungry corrupt tyrants, not sure if this clears them of that stereotype but we can sure as hell add DUMBASS to the list! :D They basically threw out 219 million pounds of profitable crops, then again they do seem to like to just throw money away.