Despretly seeking cool tubes

Discussion in 'DIY' started by blah blah boy, Nov 3, 2010.

1. blah blah boy

blah blah boy Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

I have looked and looked for that thread that someone gave a link to about building a cool tube.

I got to have 2 for my 1000watters and I don't feel like shelling out 300 bucks.

Anyone know of a thread??

2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Here's a PDF that I used to design mine Blah.

http://strainguide.org/wp-content/uploads/growfaq/pdf/(2007)%20DIY%20Build%20Your%20Own%20HPS%20CoolTube%20-%20Mogie.pdf

And a pic of what I used for mine.

4.75" chimney glass column. You can get them online or at Michael's craft store for around $10.

2- 6" duct clamps

metal strapping (to cut and use for mounting the socket)

2- 5" duct couples

1- ceramic mogul socket

24" section of lock seam duct pipe (reflector)

[​IMG]

Use the PDF to figure how to attach the socket and wire side collar then get a little imaginative.

The reflectors are 4" aluminum lock seam duct pipe that I opened up and cut to length. Leave a small tab on each end to fit under clamps holding the collars in place. Be very careful tightening the clamps against the glass. It's very easy to crack by over tightening.

Take a look at mine and it's pretty easy to see how it all comes together.

[​IMG]

3. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

I love the cool tubes. I considered them when I bought my new :light:, but I ended up with a manufactured reflector.

Great DIY!

Does it end up being "sturdy? Or is it just sort of "together" and caution should be used when handling?!?!?!

Just curious since the clamps can't be too tight, especially with hook under it, like in the PDF.:shocked:

:alienwink: :affro:

4. ResinRubber

Mine are solid as a rock. Only had to be gentle when tightening the clamps. I'm sure if you rush through and go brain dead they could suck but if you take your time and think through each step they go together very easily and seem as if they will be very durable.

5. PharmDoc

PharmDoc Just a NORML guy

Wasn't there just a mention of someone who picked up a few cooltubes cheap from online? Teamster was that you? I think it was an eBay link...

6. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Blah heres the link. Ebay 130 bucks for two of them or make offer.......................the gk nobart post shows the ebay link................... Pharm no it was not me it was nobart
    http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41152

Teamster6 check the guys ebay store he has a couple even cheaper!

7. blah blah boy

I wonder if it is good for the Lumatek 1000 ballast?

Without getting the adapter?

Anyone know that got these?

Thanks for the link reps on the way.:thumbs-up:

Ooop it says I must spread first.....lame.

ok then a couple of these: :not-worthy: :not-worthy: and one :thumbs-up:

8. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Blah I would just get on ebay and ask the seller!! He will tell you. Make sure you look in his store on ebay. Hell offer him 100 bucks for the two of them and you stole them

Teamster6

9. ResinRubber

After seeing Nobogart's link I would have popped the $130 for two deal instead of DIY. On the store site it's $60 per. When you figure it costs roughly $30 to DIY plus time, the $60 is a good deal.

Up until then the only stuff I was finding was in the $110-$130 apiece range.

10. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Wish the shit he was offering the 8 inch cool tubes!!
    Teamster6

11. blah blah boy

Can't you just enlarge the pipe on both ends with 8"/6" reducers? Assuming you want to run 8" for more air flow.

12. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

You could but its the airflow around the bulb I am after. I want to run 1500 mh bulbs and the diameter is 7 inches. 1500w hps is the same size as the 1000hps. The mh bulb is a monster

Teamster6