Disturbing Numbers.....

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana' started by RacerX, Dec 22, 2004.

1. RacerX

RacerX A Fat Sticky Bud

I had mentioned to Randy in a previous post (Nobo's Supreme Court post)that I thought MJ represented a large number of the total drug arrests in our country (usa)... I feel that our govt will continue to persecute ALL MJ users. The current case before the SC is nothing more than a dog and pony show that demonstrates a false sense of democracy. I'm pissed off because Our law enforcement community is spending billions of dollars for the latest technologies in surveillance, firearms, and training only to go after average citizens like you and me... I salute all who stand up to our govt to relax medical mj laws, but until we pressure the fda into allowing a proper scientific study on the effects of mj, and pressure the dea to de-classify mj as a class 1 narcotic, we will forever be on the losing side... I hope you all check out the article- I snipped it from HT mag.

Bah Humbug,
    RacerX

Marijuana Arrests For Year 2003 Hit Record High
    FBI Report Reveals Pot Smokers Arrested In America At A Rate Of One Every 42 Seconds
    2004-10-25

October 25, 2004

Washington, DC: Police arrested an estimated 755,187 persons for marijuana violations in 2003, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation's annual Uniform Crime Report, released today. The total is the highest ever recorded by the FBI, and comprised 45 percent of all drug arrests in the United States.

"These numbers belie the myth that police do not target and arrest minor marijuana offenders," said Keith Stroup, Executive Director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), who noted that at current rates, a marijuana smoker is arrested every 42 seconds in America. "This effort is a tremendous waste of criminal justice resources, costing American taxpayers approximately $7.6 billion dollars annually. These dollars would be better served combating serious and violent crime, including the war on terrorism."

Of those charged with marijuana violations, 88 percent - some 662,886 Americans - were charged with possession only. The remaining 92,301 individuals were charged with "sale/manufacture," a category that includes all cultivation offenses - even those where the marijuana was being grown for personal or medical use. In past years, approximately 30 percent of those arrested were age 19 or younger.

"Present policies have done little if anything to decrease marijuana's availability or dissuade youth from trying it," Stroup said, noting that a majority of young people now report that they have easier access to pot than alcohol or tobacco.

The total number of marijuana arrests for 2003 far exceeded the total
    number of arrests for all violent crimes combined, including murder, manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault.

Marijuana arrests for 2003 increased 8 percent from the previous year,
    and have nearly doubled since 1993.

"Arresting adults who smoke marijuana responsibly needlessly destroys the lives of tens of thousands of otherwise law abiding citizens each year," Stroup said.

In the past decade, more than 6.5 million Americans have been arrested on marijuana charges, more than the entire populations of Alaska, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, and Wyoming combined. Nearly 90 percent of these total arrests were for simple possession, not cultivation or sale. During much of this time, arrests for cocaine and heroin have declined sharply, indicating that increased enforcement of marijuana laws is being achieved at the expense of enforcing laws against the possession and trafficking of more dangerous drugs.

"Marijuana legalization would remove this behemoth financial burden from the criminal justice system, freeing up criminal justice resources to target other more serious crimes, and allowing law enforcement to focus on the highest echelons of hard-drug trafficking enterprises rather than on minor marijuana offenders who present no threat to public safety," Stroup said.

Later this fall, the NORML Foundation will be releasing a comprehensive report examining the nature, extent and costs of marijuana arrests in the United States. The report will feature state-by-state analysis of marijuana arrests by race, as well as an economic and geographic analysis of US marijuana arrests. Further information on NORML's forthcoming report is available by contacting the NORML Foundation at: media@norml.org.

MARIJUANA ARRESTS:
    2003: 755,187
    2002: 697,082
    2001: 723,627
    2000: 734,498
    1999: 704,812
    1998: 682,885
    1997: 695,200
    1996: 641,642
    1995: 588,963
    1994: 499,122
    1993: 380,689

For more information, please contact Keith Stroup or Paul Armentano of
    NORML at (202) 483-5500.

NORML Foundation
    1600 K Street, N.W.
    Suite 501
    Washington, DC 20006
    202-483-5500 (p)
    202-483-0057 (f)
    www.norml.org
    foundation@norml.org

2. nobogart

nobogart Cured Fat Sticky Bud

The total number of marijuana arrests for 2003 far exceeded the total

number of arrests for all violent crimes combined, including murder, manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault.

That pretty much sums it up seems to me they have their priorities all wrong.

3. llIndigoll

llIndigoll Medical Grower

4. Randy High

Randy High Organic Alumni

Very good post RacerX.

Anyone want to join me in a song.. Goes like this "WE SHALL OVER COME."

We" target="_blank">http://www.ksu.edu/english....ml

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

T. Jefferson

The War goes on.

Randy

(Edited by Randy High at 1:14 am on Dec. 23, 2004)

5. outdoor grower

outdoor grower Full Flowering

ive already decided if it gets any worse in the states, Viva La Canada. :wink:

6. slohand

slohand New Sprout

outdoor g man you hit the nail right on the head bro!!! the thought of moving even to windsor and sitting there with a big fattie and watching our poor country just self implode and not be part of the carnage is sounding more and more attractive everyday,!so lets all grab up some clothes and all of our smoke and get the **** off this sinking ship and get to windsor get high and go play with some boobies at studio 4, WHOOPEE!!!! :suave:

7. Randy High

Hey Slo and OG.

Hope yer holidays wer great.

I guess I feel the same way but after a bit of a vacation I'm ready to fight them now.

Randy

8. Budweiser 3

Budweiser 3 Cured Fat Sticky Bud

i'm with randy on this one:bigok:its my LIFE and i'll doo what i want with it:wink:where ever i'm at:biggrin::cheese:****-IT! :lmao:..hell it wouldnt be half as much fun if it was leagle:biglaugh::animbong: Bud3

9. Lil Toker

Lil Toker Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

I think this is a GREAT thread :ebert:

Made me go and do a little research of my own..

I cant seem to find anything all that up to date just yet.

But I'll continue to do some reading.

I knew it was coming down to a point where a lot of Americans were really considering the move here... To Canada.

I deeply feel for each and everyone of ya's.

Marijuana - By the Numbers

1.3 billion

The number of dollars Canada spends per year in marijuana-related police and prosecution costs.

1.5 million

The number of people who smoke pot recreationally in Canada -- which is approximately five per cent of the total population (Source: The Canadian Medical Association)

20.4 million

The number of people in North America who used cannabis at some point in the late 1990s, representing about 6.6% of the general population.

The number of Canadians who have criminal records for possession of marijuana.

The number of people charged with simple possession of cannabis in Canada in 1999. That's 11% more than in 1995.

The percentage of all drug-related offences in Canada in 2001 that involved cannabis.

The number of grams of cannabis need to roll at least 30 joints.

3.5%

The percentage of the world's population who reported using cannabis in the late 1990s.

" target="_blank">http://www.ctv.ca/generic/WebSpecials/marijuana/index_numbers.html

Lil

10. RacerX

RacerX A Fat Sticky Bud

Those numbers are pretty interesting Lil... I'd be curious to find out how much is spent on treatment & prevention both here and Canada. I'll look a bit later when I get a chance.

While I still think our solution lies in applying pressure on the fda to de-classify mj from a Class 1 felony, I found a very interesting article concerning a unique individual & his crusade for de-criminalization. I won't cut and paste the entire article, yet I'd ask each of you (that read this post)to read the last paragraph of the article (that is cut and pasted) to see if this may interest you.

“That's the whole notion behind Change the Climate-in order for there to be legislative change, politicians need to feel comfortable voting for change, instead of being chickenshit. If our advertising gets people talking more, politicians will feel more comfortable voting, or even advocating, for change. The climate around marijuana needs to change. We need to de-demonize it. We're looking at the preconditions for change, not at the change itself, because we need a broader discussion before there can be any legislative change. Asking for money to knock on more politicians' doors isn't going to initiate change.”

Note: Fresh off a Masterfully Played Rout of the T, Change the Climate's Joe White is Continuing to Change the Way Joe Sixpack Thinks About Weed Reform in America.

Complete Title: These Laws Are So Fucking Stupid

Source: Boston Weekly Dig (MA)

Author: Paul McMorrow

Published: January 05, 2005

Copyright: 2005 Boston Weekly Dig

The entire article can be found at

I" target="_blank">http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/thread20088.shtml

I found the site because of a post I read earlier today contained a link to another article (too stoned to remember who, dooh!)... I'd like to thank whoever posted the original article that led me to this site.... A plethora of good articles to check out.

11. Guest

I sit here reading humbly.

I didn't know this thread had grown at all..

Bud! Yeah we are all gonna die.. why let the future of those genetics with money wipe out the genetics without money.. ie Rich vrs poor in America and the world at large.

I mean if the ability to inherit money ment a more advanced version of the species then yes let the rich win but it ain't so! All it can lead to is fascism imo.

Lil Toker sorry for not replying sooner and RacerX great add.. I must reread this in a better state [​IMG].. I'm tired!

Randy

Peace and Love

Had a nap and reread this post... Wow sounds so left wing.

I'm not sure what to make of my own post.

Gonna ponder my own writing...

Randy.

(Edited by Randy_High at 7:39 pm on Jan. 7, 2005)

12. grow1green

grow1green Germinated

any body know how easy or difficult it is to move to canada from the states? I'm sure this is not the place to find out that kind of information but i thought i would ask since the topic came up.

13. Guest

Quote: from grow1green on 5:51 am on Jan. 17, 2005
    any body know how easy or difficult it is to move to canada from the states? I'm sure this is not the place to find out that kind of information but i thought i would ask since the topic came up.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/

I've looked at that too.. They want you to have some cash to last 6 months.

Randy

14. outdoor grower

outdoor grower Full Flowering

cash for 6 months.....that sux

maybe if you applied for a job and got hired to a place that would help with relocation. I wonder if you would still have to have the 6 months worth of cash. :ponder:

15. Randy High

Alaska is the same way I understand.

Can someone varify the Alaska thing?

Randy

16. greenkitty

greenkitty Full Flowering

The FDA and the Feds have been testing mj for over 25 years. There are people still getting there pot from the goverment. Montel did a show on med mj and had a guy on there that still recieves his pot monthly. Well maybe not anymore since that show.

Me, i believe the biggest problem is christian conseratives in goverment listening to all of there bible thumping constituents. I live in the heart of the bible belt and they control everything. I cann't even buy a beer on sunday and simple possesion of even a seed is a felony. I'm not knocking religion just statting a fact. Our biggest problem here is people that want change don't get out and vote. Have you voted lately?

17. RacerX

RacerX A Fat Sticky Bud

I don't think voting is the problem, GK... I'ts the Dupont's, Phizer's, and now our national law enforcement community that stand to lose cajillions of dollars if MJ were legalized (or even decrim'd). Not to mention that the govt is not going to put much effort into their research because they don't want folk to know it's healing properties. A major university was recently denied a permit to create a new study on MJ.... Why you ask? Because the Fed govt said MJ is illegal, therefore, cannot be studied. Hypocrasy at it's best.

18. Lamont Pontoon

Lamont Pontoon Full Flowering

Theres only one way out of the situation and it has already been stated, vote. The power of your voice is your vote, signed petitions, e-mails and faxes that never make it to a senators desk dont do ****. A signed petition that brings on legislative action is the only ones worth signing.

Those that dont vote should be the last ones complaining and should be the first ones to not let the door hit your ass on the way out of the country.

19. SUNRAY

SUNRAY New Sprout

Quote: from outdoor grower on 4:22 am on Dec. 23, 2004
    ive already decided if it gets any worse in the states, Viva La Canada. :wink:

Don't leave your country...stand up and fight(peacefully) for what you believe in..
    But if you decided to come to Canada,welcome with open arms.

20. Mrs B

Mrs B Guest

Yup, it's big business in the U.S. that's behind keeping it illegal. It was Hearst and Dupont who got Anslinger to start up the propaganda campaign in 1937 because industrial hemp threatened their financial interests. And they're the ones who fund the conservative politicians, by and large.