DIY CREE CXA 3070 COB LED

Discussion in 'DIY LED Builds' started by skunky, Sep 29, 2014.

1. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Well sometime in the near future I will be building a new light. Just because I'd like to expand and these lights are showing to perform very very well. For you HID guys they emit around 127lm/W.

With the CREE 3070 there are a couple different bins. The two top bins are the most difficult to find. The best being the AB bin and the next the Z4. Then there is Z2 and YB(lowest). Z2s are still good but Z4 is what i plan on working with.

LEDS: Look around either Mouser or digikey. Z4's run about $45-50/ea and Z2s around $40.

example- here are the Z2 3000k diodes.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cree-Inc/CXA3070-0000-000N00Z230F/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu4Prknbu83y0bObCPMgyC%2fl6eQby5L%2fDGQDb9TViwpOg%3d%3d

Z4 3000k

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CXA3070-0000-000N00Z430H/CXA3070-0000-000N00Z430H-ND/4437209

I will be using constant non-dimming drivers @ 1400mA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-W-Watt-High-Power-LED-Driver-AC90V-265V-50-60HZ-Waterproof-/311054139120?

Or.... If you want to tie in multiple lights to one driver you could use something like these Mean wells.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/HLG-185H-C700B/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvV8Y9YugmIgmy193Qkqm18MYy3MuBDghw%3d

and Artic alpine11 heatsinks and fans. (92mm)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186070&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-CPU+Fans+%26+Heatsinks-_-N82E16835186070&gclid=CjwKEAjw456hBRDQ4eqg8MzA2W0SJABI2gJ8IpijiAEk2MxC-ChFTDH28CNtf1IVuaXZZeVFQyQNPhoCctLw_wcB

If you do individual units you will need one of each per fixture- 1. CXA 3070 1. driver 1. heatsink with fan

If you used something like the mean well driver you could just due multiple lamps per driver but is actual more money, though you have the reassurance in the mean well name I guess.

Doing individual means more flexibility with modules via switch board. You could even us a mix of other color temps or even mono chromes on the same heat sink to give more options for a full spectrum full cycle light.

examples: one of SLsupras lamps.

[​IMG]

So to give you an idea I will be making something similar to these. So keep your eyes peeled. This will be coming in the near future.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Reminds me of lab when i went to Devry. Dude you should start your own light business. I know some growers....:idea:

that is 1 led in the small "box" warm white lights you got there?

3. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

So tuned in to this one. :passit:

Still haven't read that spectrum article you posted yet.

5. Discorilla

Discorilla Shining like a Discoball!

I've been toying with the idea of doing this for a few years now. There are some well documented grows with DIY LEDs that's I've seen and they definitely beat the pre-made stuff I have seen.

6. CREATIVE GARDENER

CREATIVE GARDENER Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Cool!! Just design a housing setup that can be linked together as a single unit or separated and spread out for perimeter lighting. And be looking for a good patent lawyer.:bravo:

And if you need anyone to help with product testing during your R+D phase you know where we are.

Be Cool, CG

7. Grown in Tx.

Grown in Tx. Locked and Loaded

I wish I had some knowledge in this area. I've been reading all these led threads hoping osmosis will kick in:icon_confused:

8. bigbudztoo

bigbudztoo growin the good stuff

I hear ya there, GIT. I am still confused about all the tech details.

9. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Skuny- I'm going to copy this into the LED FAQ then prune the thread of extra posts when you're done. Hope that's ok with you?

cheers,

10. skunky

More power to ya Res. I bought the tent today. So once I get Back at the end of The week I will get the rest ordered. I'll be collaborating with SupraSPL(the guy who built the lights pictured above) on this. He's been building DIYs for a couple years. His trial and error and first hand knowledge will be imperative to make a good unit the first time around. Would rather use that to my advantage instead of reinventing the wheel myself.

11. DXE

DXE Moderator

Skunky

Is anyone doing anything with varying the light frequency/ color programmatically???

Kinda like the Phillips home lighting hue system

12. skunky

Sorta but not really, seems most the guys doing that just went simple by using multiple timers and using things like the 730nm at the end of the day and for 10-15 minutes after lights out to shutdown. Or different diodes in the initiation of the day as well to wake the plants and put them to sleep faster.

So ordered the LEDs yesterday, they shipped this morning. Got back home from California and my tent, heat sinks and power drivers are here. Once I start sanding the heatsinks I'll start documenting the actual build. I'm going to piece it together slowly, since I still need a couple of things like maybe COB holders, need to get some thermal paste, and get my housings made up as well as the the supplies for the fans. Each CXA 3070 is a ZA bin 3000K . Each will be fit to it's own 92mm artic 11 alpine plus sink fan combo. I'll post links to where I purchased things from as I go along.

13. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

skunky, I'm looking forward to this build. :thumbsup:

14. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

This is a great thread

15. skunky

Alright well. Got my LEDs. So just need my thermal paste to hurry up and show then make a quick trip to lowes. Going to just use some 4" vinyl fence posts has a housing. do with with 3 COBs in each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Justcheckingitout

Justcheckingitout GK Old Timer

Oh man that is sweet, you are paving the way for DIY quality led grow lights here at GK, I am wishing you the best on your build, i know what alot of us will be doing soon. :thumbs-up:

Are those led's around 2" wide? They look huge. Got to be massive amounts of light. Are you going to use any lenses? Or would that be tricky as far as led placement goes?

17. skunky

Thanks. I'll be doing it piece by piece and then after will recompile everything into a single post.

So first things first while I wait on some splitters and that thermal paste to show, polish the heatsinks.

Heat sinks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186070&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-CPU+Fans+%26+Heatsinks-_-N82E16835186070&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_IKiBRD7rPqut_OZ4qgBEiQASm4GArXzmyFBq2iK3SQvZr9_ZybaJ_TCM9SU1TXMNW_-yasaAr_s8P8HAQ

I will remove the fans then the thermal paste that comes pre-applied. That will later be replaced with prolimatech PK1 thermal paste that has a much better thermal conductivity. The MX-4 is 8.4w/mK and the PK-1 is 10.2w/mK(From what I've read for these application you don't want anthing less than 6w/mK) I will sand these down with 180, 400, 600, 800, and 1000 grit paper. Wet sanding to avoid generating as much dust as possible. Lastly use a polishing wheel with some rubbing compound. Will rinse the sinks good with water and final clean up with 90% iso. Last picture is the shelf I picked up. I think I will just mount everything to it. It measures 36" x 10".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. skunky

Made my wiring harness and got the main power stuff down. Just need to get the Y-splitters for the fans and wire the fans into the main supply.

The harness consists of 18AWG 600V wire. You can get it off amazon, radio-shacks website, or homedepot typically has it. Male a female full insulated slide connectors. LEDs and drivers will have slide connectors from the main harness, so if anything needs to be changed out it can be done fairly easy. Also, alternated Female and male connectors to match polarity so you can't accidentally hook it up backwards and fry something.

There are 3 leads from the AC jack at the wall to the drivers. each driver has it's own Live, neutral, and earth ground. I have 6 drivers so I need to parallel run 6 connections to one at the main line. Each driver for the LEDs will be 1.4A so 8.4A total then 1.5A for fan supply(rhino 110V to 12V 4 pin molex) so lets say 10A total draw so a standard 15A extension cord will be used as the main supply from the wall. Even though the fans combined will actually draw less than 1A, but just to be sure. So again, I will have to make each of the single leads from the extension cord to branch out to 6(total of 18) for the driver connections. So I went from one to two with a twist connector, then on each of the two wires split to 3 with twist connectors. Did that 3 times for each line. The single terminal ends are matched with the correct line on the extension cord. The male plug was cut off the rhino 110V AC to 12V dc converter. These were matched up to the correct line and was connected to the driver harness and extension cord with a twist connector and all of that stuffed into a deep single gang box.

Wire colors:

Driver: blue=neutral brown=live yellow/greenstrip= earth ground

exntension cord: white=neutral black=live green=earth ground

rhino 110V AC to 12V DC: purple=neutral red=live green=earth ground

Colors on my harness: Used colored heat shrink to help keep track. Red=live, blue=neutral. plain white=earth ground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished lights. :redbong:

20. skunky

So far only thing I'm waiting on is the 4-pin molex y splitters, oh and the stupid light hangers I forgot those and just ordered them. Got my kapton tape and thermal paste. About to do some practice soldering. Just to get a feel for this iron. But if those things get here within the week it will be finished. Might go ahead and mount the LEDs to the heatsinks. I tested the harness just touching leads to the LEDs, and sweet mother of god!!!!! I have two blue/green/red honeycomb patterned circles burned into my damn vision for the time being. Really was not expecting it to be like the damn sun lighting up before my eyes. Holy shit! LOL

Was helping a buddy work on a bike earlier and it dawned on me, maybe as an added safety feature I should put a 10A fuse inline. That way if anything gets overloaded it will cut the supply