DIY stanley blowerfan hood exaust

Discussion in 'DIY' started by daytrypper, Jul 29, 2009.

1. daytrypper

daytrypper A Fat Sticky Bud

I was feeling extra crafty today and needed a new exhaust fan so ...

Picked up a Stanley blower fan from Wal Mart $45
    One Stack boot from lowes $7

Firstly I measured sorta carefully the difference between the outlet of the blower and the stack boot and cut two pieces of R-3 insulation to close the gaps and siliconed them into place.
    [​IMG]
    Slide the Boot over the exhaust of the blower securing it in place with four self tapping machine screws from the bucket O junk, and sealing it with silicone.

For the intake I used and orchid pot with the bottom cut out, securing it with superglue and sealing with silicone.
    [​IMG]
    Drill two Holes in the base on opposing sides of the center seam to mount it to the ceiling
    and TADA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Supposedly the high setting moves 310 CFM, and has already dropped my room temperature by Five degrees.

2. Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky Hurricane wrestler.......

I've used stanley blowers before on smaller cabinets....

I still use one to clear out my grow/smoke room.......

Don't forget to tape over the opposite side from your intake will improve airflow...

Looking good there man...

MAD MAX

3. daytrypper

Isnt that vent there to cool the motor?

4. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Yes...the blower housing should be seperate of the motor housing. Blocking off those vents will probably burn up the fan motor.

5. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

Nice

How loud is a blower compared to other types of exhaust fans?

6. Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky Hurricane wrestler.......

I've had mine covered for extended periods and that fan is still running 24/7 now...been almost 3 years now so.....

as far as noise (NO expert here!) I;d say the are on par with squireelcage fan but you can make em quieter by turning the fan down....

MAD MAX

7. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Well I stand corrected, but I still don't think its a good idea to cover motor vents. Then again I've never seen the thing in person, so what the fuck do I know...I'm just high as fuck...

y'all have a good night

:passit:

-tC

8. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

This is not my idea. It's been done elsewhere but it might help.

Stanley/Lasko blower mod:

To allow greater airflow while blocking the motor side intake.

[​IMG]

remove the screws holding the casing together.

[​IMG]

This is how the case looks disassembled

[​IMG]

This panel separates the fan into two halves drawing air from both intakes.

[​IMG]

Using a 44mm hole saw cut 4 holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So it looks like this.

[​IMG]

Blow any debris, reassemble and your done. Use duct tape to block off the motor side intake. This allows full use of the fans capability through one side while still cooling the motor.

If have done this on my fan (this exact fan) and it really improves performance when used for ducting. It's quieter than a box fan and I can barely hear it in the next room. You can expect a cfm in the range of 250-300 cfm.

cheers,

cheers

9. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Thats awesome Res, great way to mod an inexpensive fan. Guess I should have actually looked at one before I said anything :footinmouth: (guess there's no smiley for that)

10. virago420

virago420 Excommunicated

My wife bought me this fan for fathers day but I havent modded it yet. This will be my cooling for the box I plan to build in a couple of weeks. Ive read damn near every tutorial there is on modding it. Supposedly some people have been running them for 5+ years with no issues. I figured for $45 why not. I installed my carbon filter on my flower cab 3 days ago and have run into BAD temp problems since, so right now the door of my cab stays wide open, I know defeating the purpose of the scrubber but there isnt much smell yet so no big deal. Today I'm going to tape some dryer vent to the stanley and connect it up and see how she does :smokin:. I keep the room at 65, Id like to be able to do away with the AC though by having proper airflow. We'll see how it goes. Peace

11. daytrypper

It is significantly quieter than my other squirel cage, I would estimate about half as loud, and my previous fan was rated at 4 sones.

12. HappyHappyHighGuy

Got my Stanley

My blower fan just arrived from Amazon ($50 free shipping). I couldn't find it at any stores locally.

It's pretty quiet even on high. I would guess the cfm is 200-300. It will be cooling a 400w HPS cooltube and exhausting/scrubbing the small grow closet.

I'm gonna do the fan blade mod so the motor exhaust vent can be covered. Wouldn't make any sense to have that air blown back into the garden. The intake will be a 5" collar starter.

Update: It took 5 minutes to open the case, drill 4 holes with a 1" hole saw bit, and reassemble. Couldn't be easier :smokin:

I took it apart again to attach the 5" duct collar and upon reassembly (by hand with a screwdriver) the plastic socket threads stripped and won't hold the case together tightly now. Nothing some silicone won't fix. In defense of Stanley, these cheap fans are not made to be taken apart.

Hey trippersyx - is a stack boot the same as a register?

13. blah blah boy

blah blah boy Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

I got one of those blowers above my closet and sucking the air from a 600 hps and the scrubber. Quietest thing I have ever owned. On 18 hrs a day 7 days a week. Not one problem and for the price when something does....I could go get another.

All in all I think it is a quick fix. When I get some more money I am going to upgrade to a squirrel cage. But not until this breaks....who knows how long it will take to break.

I did no mods to it either

That link for the blower is

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=29341

14. HappyHappyHighGuy

15. jollygreen

jollygreen Veggy Stage

i use the bigger one that costed 64$ at sam's it is twice the size and modded it the same all except i keep it in the air conditioned room PUSHING air through my 1k light and like i siad i got my light about 20" away from the canopy with no ill effects they are great quiet, dependable,and easily replacable wit out the 185$ price tag.:new_all_coholic:

16. indoorherbs

indoorherbs Germinating

Brilliant DIY. I've been thinking about upgrading my airflow and this would be just the thing for it.

Thanks!

17. rollin2techno

rollin2techno cL053t Gr0w3r

With my grow closet being in my bedroom, is the sound of the stanley going to be overbearing? I would rather keep the blower IN the closet for maximum draw through the hood rather than have it placed in my attic.

18. HappyHappyHighGuy

Noise

There are several things that reduce noise:

* Use insulated ducting

* Don't use duct reducers

* Use good quality duct tape and seal every little crack where air can escape and make noise. I use the thick metallic stuff made for winter.

*Hang the fan from the ceiling with strong bungy cords. Make sure the hooks are screwed into wood through the drywall.

19. daytrypper

Yup.

20. blah blah boy

blah blah boy Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

NO, I have mine in the suspended ceiling and it sounds like a HHHMMMM. That's a low freq. hum. :wink:

If you look at my Thread on the second page of the DIY stuff BlahBlahsgrow closet you can see the unmodified blower.