DIY stanley blowerfan hood exaust

Discussion in 'DIY' started by daytrypper, Jul 29, 2009.

1. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

I got mine all hooked up now. The hardest part is the rectangular exhaust because it is about 7"x3" - I got a 4"x8" register that has a 4" round output and I siliconed some strips of wood in the register to fill in the extra gaps and taped it all together with duct tape.

It will be tested tonight with a 400w HPS.

2. blah blah boy

blah blah boy Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

I hear you bro on the different sizes. I had to take tin snips and modify a slightly larger one to get mine to fit.

3. HappyHappyHighGuy

There is a lot of hot air leaking around the register and through the seems that are riveted together, so I'm gonna remove the register, fill in all the gaps with silicone, then silicone it on the fan.

4. HappyHappyHighGuy

Silicone City

I used lots of waterproof outdoor caulk to seal every little crack/seam in the duct register, then siliconed it to the fan[​IMG]

It's amazing how many places these registers leak from. If the same thing is happening with my central A/C then I'm wasting a ton of money. I'll have to check that out

I also sealed the input collar seam leaks and siliconed it to the fan. The collar tabs are pushed through the yellow grill and bent down to hold it in place

[​IMG]

I'll let it dry overnight and test it out tomorrow

5. jollygreen

jollygreen Veggy Stage

looks good enough for government work

6. rollin2techno

rollin2techno cL053t Gr0w3r

Anyone have this model Lasko fan? No Stanleys available and this one is $35 @ Lowes (not the one I went to but another close by). I can't find any pics of the other side

[​IMG]

EDIT: Reading on IC, Dude does a DIY and states the fan draws from both sides. For me, this would be less useful, right? I am looking to only draw from the 400w HPS hood which would be one side intake like the Stanley, not 2 sides like the Lasko.

7. rollin2techno

8. daytrypper

daytrypper A Fat Sticky Bud

They are basically the same fan, The Stanley fans are made by Lasko the only diffrence is the housing and the name plate.

If the lasko housing draws from both sides it probably wouldn't hurt the fan to have the one side blocked with duct tape or cardboard.

9. MK-Ultra

MK-Ultra Excommunicated

Thats kick ass that it has those outlets on it can, never get enough outlets in a room.

10. HappyHappyHighGuy

Well I hooked it back up and it leaks a lot less, but still leaks at the seam above where the box meets the fan. More silicone to follow...

If I had to do it all over, I would cut away the sides of the fan stand to allow the box to slide further onto the fan as well as give access to every area that needs to be sealed.

11. blah blah boy

Look at the store for PL it is an adhesive that expands (polyurethane). There are different kinds so just get the regular one not the special ones. :smile:

12. HappyHappyHighGuy

Is PL a brand? Is it in a caulk tube?

13. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

RollinT- Lasko and Stanley both draw from both sides. I have a mod in one of the threads to seal the switch side intake and allow full use of the fan through the oposite intake. Works like a charm and is adaptable to the Lasko.

I'll see it I can find it.

edit: Here it is...And it's THIS thread! Look back to the beginning pages.

cheers,

14. blah blah boy

PL is the name and it comes in a 12oz tube for a caulk gun.

http://www.stickwithpl.com/

But the regular one is the best

15. rollin2techno

Thx everyone. I am gonna scoop up that Lasko from Lowes on Friday and set it up over the weekend.

16. HappyHappyHighGuy

Thanks blah

17. HappyHappyHighGuy

I gave up on trying to cool my new closet with the Stanley and ordered a 6" vortex fan to replace it. Aside from the air leak issues I was not able to fix completely, I think another problem is not having enough open ducting for it to run through due to space restraints in the closet with the 400w cooltube. Oh well, I'll use it for a fan in the garage :smile:

18. rollin2techno

What size closet? I still have not bought the Lasko cuz I am considering an in-line fan. My closet is 4x3x8. Very small.

19. HappyHappyHighGuy

4x2x8

20. CaptKush

CaptKush Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

These fans work great...cooled my 600w with NO problems and that was pushing thru a carbon filter at speed 2.

As stated before...DONT block the one side.