Does anyone have experience with 'Alaska' Products?

Discussion in 'Organic Cultivation' started by blwd67, Jun 29, 2010.

1. blwd67

blwd67 Established Healthy Roots

which of the Neptune's Harvest products do you use? They carry a line of Neptune at the local garden shop in the same area as the Alaska fert I picked up. I think they might be phasing Alaska out and Neptune in.

Anyways I got a little pamphlet for Neptune's Harvest, just wondering what anyone has used.

2. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

I use Neptune's FISH/SEAWEED 2-3-1 exclusively from 3rd week veg through to harvest flush every 3rd watering.

At week 5-6 of veg I add epsom salts (magnesium) 1 tbl per gallon for two watering cycles unless I've already added it in my soil mix. Neptune's seems to be notoriously lacking in mg.

Starting in week 3 of flower I add Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses 1 tbl per gallon once a week in plain H2O. It's loaded with potassium, mg, and adds phosphorus and calcium. Basically a cheap organic form of cal/mag

Seems to do ok by me. I'm sure I could squeeze some more out of my plants by getting more extravagant but I like to keep things as simple and screw up proof as possible.

I have to qualify that these are basic guidelines and vary from grow to grow as the plants exhibit differing needs.

Hope it helps, cheers

3. blwd67

thanks res, I must be learning something because thats the one I decided to go with after reading their pamphlet. I was going to use blackstrap later on, after root development ceased to be so important (I gather the sugars in the molassess offer an alternative food source for benificial baceria that usually feed off the excess sugars from roots, in turn providing some other nutrients... correct me if I am mistaken, please). I might make a tea with the molassess, though, every couple of feedings because of your Mg advice.

good growin

4. sho*tyme

sho*tyme Excommunicated

So Neptune is better than Alaska right? Would it hurt if I switched brands if I've already been using the alaska ferts?

5. blwd67

thats what they are saying, the fish/seaweed mix is the one I am going with. I am gonna use the dry Alaska all purpose stuff for a soil amendment and feed with Neptune's

6. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Not saying that. Both work well. Ras likes Alaska, I like Neptune's. I hadn't read anything negative about Alaska's product so I'd suggest anybody interested research it for themselves.

blwd67- the dry would make an excellent soil amendment. When mixing soil I always add a cup or two of the Fish/Seaweed emulsion to every 4 cubic feet of soil.

cheers,

7. blwd67

wow thats allot more than I had originally thought, I was planning on maybe a couple teaspoons per cubic foot. I will up it a bit then. The only issue I can see arising is to much nitrogen (Alaska dry all purpose is 9-4-4).

I will be using Neptune's this next grow (just got my Ice and freebee seeds today!!) mostly because I couldnt find any Alaska nutes. Going to the garden store tomorrow then hydro shop, I'll let you guys know what I end up with.