duc's #2 Jackberry F3, Lemon Thai, Herijuana IBL

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by ducrider, Dec 2, 2011.

1. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

For my second grow I decided to step up to the plate and spring for some quality beans from Sannies. The friday after Thanksgiving the goods arived & I wasted no time getting things started. by Monday 10 out of the 10 beans had popped and were placed in Jiffy pots. I germinated (3) of the Jackberry f3, (3) Herijuana IBL and (4) of the Lemon Thai beans. When I check on them Tuesday evening 3 of the 4 Lemon Thai had alread sprouted :thumbs-up:. 2 of the 3 Herijuana beans sprouted on Wedneday (11/30)

[​IMG]

As of today, 12/1 I'm still waiting for the Jackberry as well as the remaining LT & H IBL to show their faces . Hope they're still kicking.

duc

2. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Pulling up a chair Duc... sending good vibes to the remaining seeds.

:popcorn-2::popcorn-2::popcorn-2:

3. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

I'm about to sex my girls/boys...I think you stole my order except I got some Killing Fields with mine, good call.

I got a couple of jackberries that didn't look so hot, deformed right after they came up, let me know if happens to you also

4. ducrider

If they don't pop up by tomorrow evening I'm going to germinate 3 more, skip the jiffy pots & put them straight in to real soil.

fingers crossed

5. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

dont rush things..i had a couple of late poppers of herijuana.

contacted Sannie about the problem and he said he would replace them. Well the next day they all start to crack. Told Sannie thanks for being a stand up distributor, but replacements weren't needed.

I am totally loving doing a sannie run this time. I'm hoping in the next few mths to do a straight Fusion run

6. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Give em some time you have one just popping up now. Ha Ha I just tried some of the jiffys like you that are not enclosed on the bottom like regular jiffy pods. I think mine were burpy's and the material seems quite a bit more course and lets them come up nicely. They are messier but the seedlings seem to like it.
    t6

7. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

I'll be watching:popcorn-2::redbong:

I'm about to spring for some of that Herijuana and Jackberry. What can be expected of them?

8. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

:popcorn-2: Shit, stuck in the back.

9. ducrider

Well, Sadly none of the Jackberries ever sprouted after being placed in the jiffy pots. To add insult to injury, only two Lemon Thai's and one Herijuana IBL's are still with us. I think I've traced the problem down to low humidity. The humidity level dropped to 29-31% after I started running the heater a few days ago when the temps started to drop. I pitched little tents over the survivors in hopes they'll pull through. I've placed a small tin of water on top of the heater & the humidity level is slowly rising (35% now).

As a back up, Thursday night I germinated 3 more Jackberries. By this morning they had popped. Two of the had their tap root poking through the paper towel. Two of those are in Jiffy pots, the stongest of the three went straight in to soil with a tent over the pot.

I figure at this point even if the other seedlings make it, they've been stress & will most likely be males.. The only one that looks normal is one of the Lemon Thai's. To replace the ones that didn't make it I've gone ahead and started to germinate 3 more Lemon Thai's and 3 more Herijuana IBL's.

I'm hoping that if I keep them tented until their roots are developed a little bit that they'll make it this time.

Duc.

10. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Ok heres a little suggestion on useing the jiffys. Soak em up real good then grab em and squeeze gently ringing the water out before you plant the sprouts. I think you will find you will have better success

t6

11. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

Bummer dude. Right back at it though :alienwink:

12. ducrider

Mama always said you've got to break a few eggs to make an omelette :redbong:

13. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Yeah I broke a few omelettes when it comes to germing seeds since I took to growing. Last Spring I ordered 20 bubblicious seeds, and got 5 freebies, for total 25. I ended up with only 5 that survived germing. I ran into the exact same issue as you: the water content in the medium was too inconsistent.

I used a humidity dome for my current grow of Jackberry. Every single one of the seeds popped, and did so within two days. Afterward they started growing pretty voraciously. Due to not having the grow area set up ahead of time I've run into a few problems with them since. But the point here is that you must control humidity in the immediate vicinity of the germing seeds / their pots, and 70-90% is just my wild guess. I mean I think it must be that high in my humidity dome because sometimes during the germ process I could see dew forming on the inside of the dome.

Best part of all this: cost of a tray & humidity dome: about $5-$10.

14. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

15. ducrider

Thanks for the Pic T6. I'll have put one of those on my list for round 3. For now I think my homemade tents will have to do. I placed the Jackberry's that germinated over the weekend in Jiffy pots resting on top of the CLFs for a little extra warmth. The germinating Lemon Thai & Herijuana beans are in the foil pouches in front of the jiffy pots. Nice and warm but not hot at all. .

I've gottent he room to maintain 77 deg & 39% humidity.

[​IMG]

16. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

sweet homemade cfl light setup!! What is on the walls in there, panda film?

17. ducrider

OG, I splurged on the wall covering & went with Orca Film. One roll was just about enought to do the room with enought left over to cover the interior side of the door too. The first time I fired up the lights I was frigging shocked at how bright the room was. It's way better than the off white paint that was on the walls.

I can't wait until the plants are big enough to switch on the 600w HPS.I could use the extra heat it will produce too. As it stands now I'm moving so much air out of the room I need to keep a heater running because the CFL's along can't keep the room above 70 deg. With the HPS running in lieu of the CFL's the temps are a solid 77 -78 deg.

18. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

How thick is that orca film, thick enough to make it easy to properly hang with no wrinkles? Man I get pretty tired of putting 100 staples in a 4x4 piece of mylar just to smooth the wrinkles outa the cheap ass 1mil shit. And further I can't say with certainty that the wrinkles that are left in it aren't causing hot spots. I think after my first grow I may make an upgrade to panda or orca film, just something thicker so there are no wrinkles.

Why not just tone down the air flow to help retain a little heat, if low temps have become an issue?

19. ducrider

Orca Film is 11 mils thick & is super easy to work with. I just used thumb tacks at each corner to hold things in place then followed up with a few roofing nails. I know, roofers are over kill but it's what I had on hand.:thumbs-up:

My first impression of Orca Film was that it looks very similar to Tyvek house wrap with a black Kraft paper backing. It's not Tyvek but it looks close enough to it to make me wonder about the reflective properties of Tyvek.

Dude, I wish I could slow the fan down a bit. I tried a fan speed controller however it didn't work with the Panasonic Whisperline fan that I'm using. With the controller in plugged in the fan motor just sits there and hums. I didn't care because it's so quiet sometimes I put my hand over the exhaust to make sure it's running.

Anyway, things are looking good. The Jackberry I planted in soil after the seed popped is rocking out. The other two are in Jiffy's, one has broken the soil & the other is still hiding out. All three of the Herijuana IBL's beans Popped today & have been placed in spoil, not Jiffy's .. Tents for all.

Out of the original 10 seeds that popped I have two of the Lemon Thai and one Herijuana's still alive and looking much OK.

grow on!

20. ducrider

The grow room's environment has improved greatly & the plants are looking much better. It's exciting to be growing again. :thumbs-up:

The newest Jackberry broke through the soil and really took of.

[​IMG]

Two Lemon Thai's and one Herijuana seedlings are the survivors from the beans that germinated 11/28.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the group shot with 6 newly germinated seeds in soil. 11 plants total that I'll have to cull out at least 6. I've only room for (3) 12" pots and (2) 10" pots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]